- The Cafe
Questions / Tips / Techniques
- Modelling / Sculpting
- Character Animation / Rigging
- CD Character Plugins
- Dynamics, Hair, Thinking Particles, MoGraph or General Animation
- Miscellaneous Questions
- Texturing / Materials / BodyPaint
- Resources, Tips / Mini Tutorials
- Rendering & Lighting / Net Render
- XPresso / Python Scripting
- Compositing and Post Work
- Plugins: Making, Finding, and Using
- Tutorials - Questions or Requests
- Drive Plugin updated to 1.6
2 weeks agoViews: 369 Replies: 0
The new version provides many new features and improvements. With the new automatic setup your car becomes ready to drive with a few clicks. The new parameters for controlling the driving behavior and the completely revised distance control result in vivid drive scenes. Ground objects can now constist of multiple levels, the new object structure of the wheels prevents gimbal lock effects, there are drive commands with selectable priority and more infos in the HUD.
The update is free for registered users of DRIVE! 1.5.
Adjusting the DRIVE! container objects to the geometry of the car model is very simple now. You just have to isolate and group if applicable the body and the wheels. Centering the object axes is not necessary. With a click on a button DRIVE! creates the complete geometric setup automatically. All objects are inserted into the appropriate container objects, whereby not only wheels as a whole are recognized, but even child objects, that obviously are not able to roll, like the brake calipers.
The position of the body hasn't to be set higher anymore compensating the effect of the gravity on the suspension ¹. Thus, in edit mode the car looks like the original model.
Loading and saving setups
Setups can now be exchanged via a separate file. When loading, you can choose to include the geometry and collision data. Hence, you can create a library of several vehicles and share with other users.
Gimbal lock effect of the wheels eliminated
When setting a caster or camber angle, gimbal lock effects appeared when recording ("baking") the simulation, resulting in animation curves with drop-outs, that could lead to problems with motion blur. The new object structure of the wheels prevents this by moving the rotating parts of the wheel into a separate object. The former brake object has become obsolete ².
Ground objects with multiple levels
Until now, you had to use several tricks to let cars drive on multiple levels. In the new version single ground objects as well as their assembly can consist of multiple levels.
Distance control and driving behavior
The distance control has been extended by several parameters. The percentual tolerance value makes the car reacting smoother when coming closer to the minimum distance. Using the scan angle you can reduce the distance control to a certain range. In edit mode, the scan range can be made visible. Depending on the current distance, the graphic is colored green, yellow or red. The limitation on cars, that share the same route, is now optional.
With the new parameter "speed" in the "routes" section, the speed given by the speed points can be varied individually. I.e., you can define how exactly the car meets the speed target. So several cars sharing the same route won't drive like strung pearls on a string. This results in vivid scenes when faster cars meet slower ones and are slowed down by the distance control...
Drive commands with selectable priority
Until now, the drive commands generated by the command objects had always the highest priority. Not only higher than the drive actions resulting from the speed points, but also higher than the brake actions required to meet the minimum distance. This is selectable now: The priority of the command objects is always higher than the speed points (otherwise the commands would be effectless), but can be set below or above the distance control. You should set it to top only, if you want to cause collisions.
More information in the HUD
The HUD now shows the source of throttle, brake and steering. If the commands come from a command object or the drive route, a short version of the object name is displayed. If it is a direct input, e.g. via DirectControl, "DC" is displayed.
Projects made with a former version are automatically adapted to DRIVE! 1.6 when loading, but after saving, you cannot use them with DRIVE! 1.5 anymore!
After loading a project made with a formerversion, you should rewind and run the animation for a short period in order to let the simulation reinit the geometry.
The wheel objects of a former version are adapted to the new object structure when loading.
More information: http://www.c4dplugin.com/indexx.php
Topic Started By: 3DKiwi Last Reply By: 3DKiwi
- Power Suit Contest - Win Thea Render
Feb 19 2014 10:31 PMViews: 8142 Replies: 180
Hi everyone. Time to kick off 2014 with a Challenge. Better still how about a 12 week contest with 3 copies of the awesome Thea Render up for grabs? Thea Trailer below.
With the release of the new Thea for CINEMA 4D plug-in it has become incredibly easy to use Thea Render with CINEMA 4D. To help celebrate this break through the good people at Thea Render have offered some great prizes. In addition Newton Render Farm, which supports Thea Render and Thea for CINEMA 4D, has also offered some time on their farm as a prize.
Contest ends: Friday 16 May 2014 Pacific Daylight Time
In total the prizes are:
1st Place: Thea Render + Thea for CINEMA 4D + 2 nodes + 24 hours on Newton Render Farm
2nd Place: Thea Render + Thea for CINEMA 4D + 12 hours on Newton Render Farm
3rd Place: Thea Render + Thea for CINEMA 4D + 6 hours on Newton Render Farm
Total value of prizes for 1st place is over $708 or €516!
The theme for this challenge is "Power Suits". There is a great number of suits to get inspiration from like Metroid, Halo's master chief, marines suit in Startcraft, Iron Man, and a ton of different kinds in anime. It can range from sleek and sci-fi to more organic and made of bones. It does not even need to be made for a human. Googling power suits can give more really good inspiration. To give even more freedom the background and pose will also be judged as a whole with the suit. The best looking overall pictures with suit, background, and pose will win. The background should also be 3D and not a 2D picture. If a model is needed to be covered with the suit, the Fred, Lisa, or figure model (modelled by you) can be used to start. Since, making something organic can be hard to make look really good it is left up to the artist how much is covered so long as private parts are covered.
1) Thea Render and Thea for CINEMA 4D must be used (Water marked Trial version available)
2) Everything must be modelled using CINEMA 4D. You can make textures in a photo editing program like Photoshop or GIMP.
3) Any sculpting and textures obtained from sculpting must be done using CINEMA 4D. Other sculpting programs like Zbrush, 3D Coat, and Mudbox etc must no be used. So no imported Displacement or Normal maps that originated from a sculpting program.
3) No post production can be done on the image though, there are a large number of filter options available in the Thea Render darkroom while it renders through and with Thea Render.
4) You must have the rights to redistribute all textures used. This would mean using textures off cgtextures.com would be OK. Using textures off of thearender.com are also OK.
5) All 3D models or figures except the Fred or Lisa model must be made from scratch using CINEMA 4D. Fred and Lisa are found in the Content Browser. Feel free to rig your character to help with posing.
6) 3 works in progress also known as WIPs must be submitted to the cafe as a reply to this message.
7) Final submitted images should be 800x600. One wireframe with subdivisions off and two to four different angles must be submitted for the final images. 800x600 is the final submission resolution because this is the max resolution available for output from the trial version of Thea Render.
8) Once the contest is over we will get in touch with the winners to get their scene files and texture files. This is for sole purpose of rendering out high resolution images and un-watermarked images. Your scene files will not be distributed.
9) Enter as many times as you want. Each entry must highlight a different power suit. Only your highest scoring entry will be used for placement for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. This is so the same person does not win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
10) Judges for the contest are: 2 Cafe admins 3DKiwi and Hsrdelic plus John Bandi from Newton Render farm.
Final entry date is by midnight Friday 16 May 2014 Pacific Daylight Time i.e 12 weeks. The judges reserve the right to extend the deadline at their discretion.
The trial version of Thea Render and Thea for CINEMA 4D is available at:
It can also be obtained by going to TheaRender.com and clicking on Live Plugins > Thea for CINEMA 4D and scrolling down a little.
For those not familiar with Thea Render it is recommended to watch the helpful videos found on www.thearender.com.
Some of particular importance are:
A) Thea for CINEMA 4D - Getting Started:
B) Thea for CINEMA 4D: Quick Start:
C) Other videos and manual found at www.thearender.com Look under Resources > Tutorials > Overview for lots more tutorials.
Good Luck to all. Hope you have fun.
Cafe staff and John Bandi
Topic Started By: 3DKiwi Last Reply By: TheJimReaper
- New Turorial Set Nearly Done Replies: 1
By: paulselhi Last Reply By: Varanid Today, 11:50 AM
That can be either completely fair or extortionate depending o...
- Unwritten Rules of 3D Modeling Replies: 4
By: jasonsone Last Reply By: Varanid Today, 11:39 AM
You should use as little geometry as is necessary to get the r...
- Align more objects to spline Replies: 3
By: marusa Last Reply By: workaholic Today, 10:15 AM
Not a problem, Glad i could help.
- light within a lamp Replies: 6
By: gnaws Last Reply By: willmca Today, 09:49 AM
Glad you found the solution you needed. I would say that in ge...
- New Turorial Set Nearly Done
By: paulselhi Today, 09:42 AM Views: 16 Replies: 1
By: EdBardet Today, 08:57 AM Views: 9 Replies: 1
- Unwritten Rules of 3D Modeling
By: jasonsone Today, 07:52 AM Views: 38 Replies: 4
- problem creating mograph cache tag
By: InkedInBlood Today, 07:51 AM Views: 6 Replies: 0
- polygons normals - displace problem ... ?
By: Xplorer Today, 06:45 AM Views: 9 Replies: 0
Support The Cafe
Your support by joining the Supporter's Club pays for our dedicated server, server and forum software upgrades and maintenance contracts.
Challenge Closes In