- The Cafe
Questions / Tips / Techniques
- Modelling / Sculpting
- Character Animation / Rigging
- CD Character Plugins
- Dynamics, Hair, Thinking Particles, MoGraph or General Animation
- Miscellaneous Questions
- Texturing / Materials / BodyPaint
- Resources, Tips / Mini Tutorials
- Rendering & Lighting / Net Render
- XPresso / Python Scripting
- Compositing and Post Work
- Plugins: Making, Finding, and Using
- Tutorials - Questions or Requests
- Low Poly Modelling Challenge
6 days agoViews: 696 Replies: 24
Hi everyone. Time for a new challenge. We haven't done a low polygon modelling challenge for a while so time to dust of your knife and bevel and get modelling. We want you to model an animal, preferably cartoon like and use no more than 800 polygons. That should be plenty. You are allowed to use a HyperNurbs object for smoothing. Texturing is not compulsory but it will help. You have 3 weeks so plenty of time to enter a couple of times.
Please ensure you read and comply with the rules. Pay particular attention to Rule 7 and Rule 12.
Now the rules:
Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.
1. Deadline - Midnight Friday 7 June 2013 P.S.T.
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. At least one WIP image is required as a reply to this topic just to keep things interesting. You can post more WIP images if you want.
7. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.You are required to attach a maximum of 2 final rendered images in 1280x1024 resolution or less and no more than 450kb, plus 1 only wireframe image which is to be a screen grab of the viewport showing the total number of polygons in the scene. See the attached image on how to add the HUD element for total number of polygons. Make sure you select each polygon type object to get the total count. This time around we don't want a cel render however we expect to be able to see the polygon construction and we'll leave to you to decide whether to disable or enable the HyperNurbs object for the wireframe screen grab image. Please also change display mode to "Isoparm" mode, again see the image on how to do this. We would also like to see the Object Manager in your screen grab as well. Just plonk one in the viewport like shown in the attached image. We must see all of your objects in the Object Manager.
8. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.
9. You can not use imported texture maps, bump maps, displacement maps etc. Sculpting is not permitted. Displacement maps are not permitted. Normal maps are not permitted. We will however allow bump maps but don't over do it. This is a modelling challenge not a texturing challenge although a nicely textured model will do better than one that isn't textured.
10. The maximum number of polygons permitted is 800. You can use a symmetry object but if you do then you can only have 400 polygons. It's 800 maximum if you were to make symmetry objects, array objects, instance objects etc editable. You can have props but the total number of polygons must not exceed 800.
11. You can use a ground plane, sky object and or a background object. These don't count as polygons.
12. It is our expectation that you don't use Splines, ExtrudeNurbs, SweepNurbs etc. If you do then you'll need to make them editable so that the polygons can be counted.
13. You cannot do any post work on your rendered images i.e. Photoshop
No doubt there will be questions about what's allowed and what's not. Just fore away.
Topic Started By: 3DKiwi Last Reply By: poodles
- New Cmivfx Sculpting Tutorial
A week agoViews: 629 Replies: 11
Hi everyone. cmiVFX have released a new Sculpting / Retopology video tutorial by C4D guru Pavel Zoch. C4D Cafe members can for the next 30 days can buy the tutorial (streaming) and receive a 15% discount off the regular US $59.95 price. That's a saving of $9.00. Discount code: 3dkiwi
Slideshow of screenshots:
Nigel / 3DKiwi
Topic Started By: 3DKiwi Last Reply By: AlanBell
- Swimming With Monsters Replies: 10
By: prycedesign Last Reply By: greasemonkey Today, 03:11 AM
- Input Actual Size (Not Scale) To An Object Replies: 14
By: airbusch Last Reply By: tcastudios Today, 03:04 AM
If you look in the code you see that each Userdata h...
- Any Way To Convert A .skl File To Work In C4D? Replies: 1
By: felst Last Reply By: HarryBee Today, 02:26 AM
Hi, it seems like it's a Maya file which can...
- Swimming With Monsters Replies: 10
By: prycedesign Last Reply By: prycedesign Today, 02:12 AM
Great work, Pryce. Don't forget I still owe you one...
- Material Preview In R14 Content Browser
By: suhov Today, 02:05 AM Views: 9 Replies: 0
- New Demo Videos Of Real Curvature Shader - Plugin
By: HarryBee Today, 12:24 AM Views: 19 Replies: 2
- Edge Length Of A Polygon
By: creatix Yesterday, 10:55 PM Views: 15 Replies: 4
- Light Object Aligned To Spline After Effects
By: mrittman Yesterday, 08:29 PM Views: 8 Replies: 0
- Text Changes When I Copy And Past
By: TylerBaker Yesterday, 08:16 PM Views: 10 Replies: 1
Support The Cafe
Your support by joining the Supporter's Club pays for our dedicated server, server and forum software upgrades and maintenance contracts.
203 active user(s) (in the past 15 minutes)25 members, 178 guests
eradicate, spacedudi, Enguerran, capdeponds, ChrisCorr, Jasiu, rpmmu, greasemonkey, esmall, prycedesign, Mattbutler, grundgedanke, weirdcore, Noster, HarryBee, deepshade, WFriele, monkstag, Gas, NMckay, ckoerting, creatix, tcastudios, redhed, hulaboy
Challenge Closes In