Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulselhi

Anyone Got A Good Ar3 Object Animation Render ?

58 posts in this topic

We finally managed to get some output using the preview range batch rendering I mentioned earlier, but only after many pains in the bum, and some very long hours (and hot processors!).

Sad really, but we were looking forward to using the new GI in our pipeline but it's just not viable at these speeds.

Bjorn:

I think instead of a grammar lesson (impressed that you could tell how I read the sentence btw wink.gif ), it would be better that MAXON instructed their reps to reply "No" or "Not really" when asked if the dramatically improved render speed included the AR3 GI system with object animation (as we did before we upgraded). Or better still put a disclaimer on it's marketing/website stating that this is the case. As the sentence is ambiguous and that coupled with the inaccurate advice from the rep has left us feeling disappointed. As it was the deciding factor when we purchased the new upgrade licenses.

Don't get me wrong on this though. It's a great product and we've have been more than impressed with the speed and quality of the GI for stills and camera animations. But our need lies more with a faster (and therefor more cost effective) GI object animation solution, which we thought we were getting.

I've had my fair share of grumbles about R11 both here and over on CGTalk, but I wonder in this case are people expecting too much of the GI system?

I read on the Aix Sponza topic over on CGTalk that they used a render farm of over 40 8 core Mac pros to render the Formula One commercial they made recently and while it looks very impressive I'm not sure they even used GI on it. I've read that the likes of Pixar etc have only recently started using GI, generally things are faked instead using bounce lights. Considering the size of the render farm they must have you'd think if GI was a realistic proposition for animation they would have been using it for a lot longer.

I could be wrong on this, I'm definitely not a GI guru and I don't even have AR yet, but I have seen the 'twice as fast' rendering working on my own machine - I tested a scene with the save enabled R11 demo that used the MoGraph Skylight plugin (an advanced light dome setup basically) and I saw times per frame go from 4min38 in 10.5 to 2min 32 in 11 (Quad core PC 2.83 ghz).

Cheers,

Brian

Achievements

>I think instead of a grammar lesson (impressed that you could tell how I read the sentence btw smiley2.gif ),

Ah, it was pretty obvious, wasn't it ;)

> it would be better that MAXON instructed their reps to reply "No" or "Not really" when asked if the dramatically improved render speed included the AR3 GI system with object animation (as we did before we upgraded).

The problem is mainly that there is no single straight forward answer to this. If you follow the discussions on the new GI here and on other forums you can see that many people who simply take old GI scens, slap on the new GI and render experience a slow down. However if you take the time to actualy dive into the new GI and create a new setup you often experience a speed advantage. The two biggest timesavers the new GI offers are not connected to renderspeed however, they are ease of use and the simply way better quality that allows for much shorter setup times since you don't need nearly as many testrenderings as with the old one.

The biggest speed advantage of the new GI over the old one is the now predictable and useable speed for animation renderings (as i pointed out before).

So over all yes, AR 3 is faster than the old AR, but the reason for this is not obvious immediately.

Cheers

Bjorn

Here is an interesting render 4 hours on a dual core 2.4 ghz, no lights just the hdri. I switched off caustics in the gi setings but i am not sure what is causing the caustic like effects from the glass on the floor. I have the glass set to not receive gi but to generate gi, maybe it is that. anyway the effect is not to bad

some ao for the floor and some blurry relections on the box which is not really obvious plus some vector motion blur

http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/st...botsmashr11.mov

Achievements

silverbullet

Achievements

I also had issues with object animation. For example, I wanted to use Full Animation GI on this animation, but after a pretty long prepass time, I still got very, very poor results (flickering due to inaccurate GI). Boosting up the settings would probably have solved this, but that would have taken way too long. When using basic QMC, the render was not only much faster, but also a lot better (which is what you see in the animation). Unfortunately, QMC is not always the best way to go, because the stronger your luminance is, the more noise you get. So with heavy light, QMC is pretty useless.

Strangely enough, using light animation does work fine. Check this movie, which was created with Full Animation and had a very short prepass time. Surely that's a great improvement compared to the ugly R10 version.

Overall I think MAXON either rushed the full animation, or just pumped in a lot of extra passes to avoid flickering and thus angry customers. I hope they will improve this in the next upgrade, because it should be possible to prepass much faster.