Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
megacal

AR3 vs LuxRender vs Octane?

191 posts in this topic

Way to go, Dave! Good job!

Thanks for the extra effort :thisrocks:

It's achievable but there are better modellers out there than me that's for sure!
-Neil

You're too modest...thought it'd be a piece of cake for you! :)

I'm still piecing together my render box for Octane (or whatever)...costing a bit more than I (naively) thought

it would...but in the long run, it will be a very good thing...just have to bite the $$ bullet & just do it.

Hope to be ready in time for the challenge...

Here we are mates!

...that's Neil up front...I think that's Dave wiping his chin...where's Nigel?

I'm dragging up the rear! bigsmile.png

Hi Guys. The next challenge is due to start in 2 days time. Do you think we'll be ready to go with everything by then? Yeah the Dragon candle holder is awesome but some lucky person has to model it. The grapes could take a while to do as well. Perhaps a few less?

Nigel

Achievements

It's a good job I watched that clip. When I read "That's Dave wiping his chin" and "I'm dragging up the rear" I thought I was on the wrong forum! ;o)

Karl said he had a bunch of grapes he'd made from a previous job he could donate. The candle doesn't need to be exact, but again this is where the artist takes it for the best render. Vray has a very impressive displacement system which I probably give it a go with. I'll leave this to Nigel. The studio set is now dismantled due to it being used daily so I think this is the final shot from me.

Dave, did you say you'd be supplying the high res wood texture or shall we leave that up to the artist(s)?

Okay, so all we need is a scene file then with fancy candle stick holder. So who's compiling the scene together?

Nigel

Achievements

I can supply the wood in hi-res. If we give the texture for the wood and the alpha for the glass candle holder then the rest is up to the artist. I'll upload it in the morning when I'm back at the studio.

Edited by dhpdigital

Yes, I've got grapes. Should I pass those on to someone?

Cheers

Karl

Achievements

Maybe Neil as he's setting up the scene. Neil can you PM Karl with a direct email address? I tried you today and it was blocked.

It's OK Karl. I've put some grapes in the scene tonight after seeing Dave's revised shot. I'll work on the scene for a little longer tonight (it's 9.15pm here in the UK) and then hopefully finish it off tomorrow. Is that OK with everyone? Strange that my email was blocked. Try again Dave I'm sure it's OK.

Hi Neil. Your PM says 'Sending a PM to Neil V. The member Neil V cannot receive any new messages'.

Try again Dave. I just emptied my messages. I'm sooooo popular it gets a bit of a chore. ;o)

Hi-res wood texture https://files.me.com/dave.hoare/7hekmt :thisrocks:

The file is no longer available.

Sorry. Here you go. https://files.me.com/dave.hoare/wkvduy

Finally got Octane up and running (GTX460 2gb to render, Galaxy 210 1gb for display, Athlon Hyperthreaded quad, 4gb ram).

So far very impressed Octane...the gui & realtime renders...lots to learn.

When does the fun start? bigsmile.png

Later... yikes.gif

Didn't realize the chase is on!

Edited by megacal