Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nstocks

Night - Streetlighting Improvements?

24 posts in this topic

I've used a 360 degree sky from cgtextures.com but it's very poor :(

I know this will sound lazy but where would one find some good sky images for such a scene? I'm googling away but there isn't any good night skies!

Would learning the co-ordinate method yield a better result? I can get the co-ordinates quite easily, it's just knowing what to do with them

Thank You

Hi,

Personally I would do what the other members posted .. Try and use "Create Sky" ... set your location and time of day, and under the details tab > show stars ... there are some settings you can play around with. To answer your question .... Hyperfocal design sells some night sky HDRI's ..... However I have never used them. Maybe some one else here on the board has.

Hope this helps.

http://www.hyperfocaldesign.com/night-skies-2

You know, what I said sounds much easier that it really is. I'm struggling with it too. Would be a great tutorial.

Hi,

Personally I would do what the other members posted .. Try and use "Create Sky" ... set your location and time of day, and under the details tab > show stars ... there are some settings you can play around with. To answer your question .... Hyperfocal design sells some night sky HDRI's ..... However I have never used them. Maybe some one else here on the board has.

Hope this helps.

http://www.hyperfocaldesign.com/night-skies-2

I've located a sky preset within the content brwoser. I'm now playing around with that, I can't seem to scale it though ?

EDIT: Added an image. I really need to get this done tonight! Thoughs on the sky? The start are turned on, however I can't see any of them. I've turned the clouds off but they are still not there.

Thank you

The sky looks more like a ceiling than an atmospheric sky. Also, why is every single house light off?

I've now changed the sky. It has sole atmposhere and stars. I think this one looks much better and more subtle. The focus of this render is only on the main (textured) building. There are other lights that surround it however, so it will be lit more. The other buildings are simple massing buildings, for context only.

I value your opinions!

Also, how do I change the camera to render my scene with? I've added a camera but it keeps rendering with the default one.

Thank you

Find your Camera object in the Object Manager. There's a little square icon with a dot in it. Click that until it's white. Same result if you are in your Perspective view, Cameras, Scene Camera then select your new camera.

Find your Camera object in the Object Manager. There's a little square icon with a dot in it. Click that until it's white. Same result if you are in your Perspective view, Cameras, Scene Camera then select your new camera.

Perfect! Thank you so much

Can you please add a light somewhere to set the base lighting. One omni somewhere will do, give it a nightly color like dark blue. A little experimentation will not kill anybody.

I have an infinite light for the base lighting. I also have a large spot light on the main building. Reason for this is because I don't want the main building and the surrounding buildings in the same level of brightness...

I'll swap the infinite for a onmi and see how it works out.

I think you have to calibrate your screen, I opened your image in psd and there is actually a lot going on there, buildings, a bridge, houses, streets... Pity there is not enough light.

Yep, the screen I'm using is quite poor. Just opened a render on my Macbook Pro and it's way too dark. I'm increasing the light by 30% or so. Just proves you get what you pay for in terms of screen quality. (it's a cheap TN panel, samsung)