Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Abstract Challenge - Winners Announced

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

abstract2011winners.gif

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay in announcing the winners. For obvious reasons we had other things on our mind with the Release 13 announcement. That plus there were so many entries to work through. Wow, some stunning entries. Some members had a ball and entered multiple times. We'll likely do this theme again some time as it's so much fun.

The winners are:

1st Place - cerbera (entry 8)

2nd = Place - SuperVee and cerbera (entry 9)

3rd Place - zak (entry 1) and vikramsk

You can view these images in the gallery here.

We thought about having some honourable mentions but Abstract images are very subjective and in many cases there was nothing to pick between a lot of the images and we didn't want to include some and then leave out others. It was hard enough picking the winners.

Well done everyone. Awesome challenge.

3DKiwi

p.s. I'm using a new system to award the trophy icons. The old system is a 3rd party modification. The problem with this apart from causing a few errors is the mod developer is slow to update it / fix bugs. There's a new forum version out that we haven't upgraded to yet. One reason is because the awards system hasn't been upgraded. What I've done is created a custom profile field, editable only by admins. Whilst this doesn't have all the features of the Awards system upgrading the forum software won't break it. I need to tinker with it to try and get the awards displayed horizontally rather than vertically if the member has more than one.

Posted · Report post

3DKiwi, the R13 release has worn you out. You have wrong attributions in the 3rd place captions.

Congratulations to the winners. My personal favourite is SuperVee's.

Posted · Report post

3DKiwi, the R13 release has worn you out. You have wrong attributions in the 3rd place captions.

Congratulations to the winners. My personal favourite is SuperVee's.

LOL - yeah I made a hash of it. Look now. Yeah I'm a bit worn out. I did the results after having a cat nap so must have been half asleep.

Cheers

3DKiwi

Posted · Report post

Congrats to the winners! :)

Posted · Report post

Congratulations guys great work. :) I loved this challenge so bring on another one. Maybe an animation version.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Congratulation to the winners. They are all beautifully done. What an amazing art work!

Edited by digitvisions

Posted · Report post

Cheers guys... my vote was going to James Leaburn and his abstract stones :) Love SuperVees as well.

Jay

Posted · Report post

Thanks cerbera. But yours is a well deserved win. Pretty much all my favourites were placed so well done the judges. Nigel says he's got a special just bloody showing off award for me. :)

Posted · Report post

Nigel says he's got a special just bloody showing off award for me.

It can be arranged!!

Posted · Report post

Then everyone will want one. :)

Posted · Report post

Great work from all.

Posted · Report post

Nice work everyone! I didn't think I stood much of a chance with just "light" play, but I like them and they are my desktop backgrounds on my work PCs. So, what's next on the challenge agenda? :)

Posted · Report post

Congratulations to all Contributors. Very beautiful work here.

Posted · Report post

Wow I'm stunned. Thank you. It's high praise, indeed. I pretty much liked all the entries, so I really don't know how you were able to choose. I feel so encouraged. Thanks again.

Posted · Report post

Gratz guys, very nice work.

Posted · Report post

Congrats to the winners !

Posted · Report post

Very nice work all! Congrats to the winners! sc018.gif

Posted · Report post

Great work ! Congrats to all the winners. Very interesting work and looks like a lot of time invested and thought went into each. I do however have a question about abstract images... is a recognizable object considered abstract? Just food for thought I suppose. I have always been under the impression that if it is an identifiable object, for example a butterfly(not bashing anyones idea or work), then it is not an abstraction. If it is recognizable, in this example, a butterfly is not realistic, then it is generalized as a "stylized object". just food for thought and hopefully this may be an interesting topic. all apologies if anyone is offended, im rendering at work and came across this so no ill intent meant... with that said there is no doubt that all the winners were much deserving of their graphical triumph. Anyways, happy creating !

best,

livid

Posted · Report post

I agree with your definition and it was a point I was going to raise at the start of the challenge but I was too busy making stuff and it slipped my mind. But I do think there should be a little slack allowed here. For example my small stones in the pool, I feel, was an abstract that follows your definition. But you could say that I had modeled little stones that would come under the stylized banner. There's a bit of a grey area I think and it's maybe too difficult to decide where an image lies sometimes. It's all a bit of fun anyway.

Posted · Report post

James,

I totally agree with your statement about there needing to be some slack with what I brought up. In no way did I mean it in a negative way or really saying that anyone missed the mark. I honestly was just bringing it up for more of a discussion rather than saying anything negative about any of the contestants or their work. So slack is definitely more than given. If anyone out in c4d land has a bit different opinion on what abstract means, maybe we start a thread rather than keep it here? ha ! I enjoy conceptual work very much and definitely meant no disrespect on any of what I have mentioned.

ok, time to check some renders. wQQt !

livid.

Posted · Report post

I think half the fun here was seeing how people interpret the word abstract. I thought a butterfly made of glass, jewels and chrome sitting in an art gallery was quite abstract :)

Jay

Posted · Report post

I thought the winning Butterfly image was abstract enough to qualify although I hear where you're coming from. Technically it might have been called stylized art or stylized realism. I don't know, abstract is so broad that what one person thinks is abstract may be different than what someone else thinks is abstract. Yes we did cut some slack with what was allowed as we did with members reusing assets created in one entry, using them in another. End of the day, the winning image was stunning as were the other top images.

3DKiwi