PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D
PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keign

R13 Physical Renderer And Camera

29 posts in this topic

Re motion blur. I found it easier to use a slow shutter speed rather than using shutter angle.

3DKiwi

It's soooooo slow...

So does it work the same as a real camera, more light = less grain? I know it doesn't work that way with the exposure and shutter speed, not with grain anyways. Unless I did something wrong in my test.

I'm also finding the new Physical Render engine super slow. It also seems to not support caustics. MAXON spent a lot of time to make a bad render engine. I'm not sure what they were thinking. They could have fixed DOF for the render engine they had.

Most people that did not like the old render engine probably also moved on by now. I know I did.

Caustics worked when I tried it with a caustics scene from the content browser. I think it's just going to take some direction from MAXON and some time and tutorials to really get it figured out. We have a class scheduled at work for next Friday, hopefully I'll be able to get some real insight on how to work this renderer and get faster results. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just my lack of understanding and not a bad renderer, for now :P.

It is definitely slower in some cases, and the grain seems to be part of the physical renderer's output. It certainly is 'a look'...I can almost get rid of it with the highest render settings, but as you say, that takes ages.

So whilst I am pleased it's there, thank goodness they didn't take out the old renderer so we have it to fall back on. I'm also fairly sure that none of us really know what we're doing in the new one yet, so maybe we'll get better results when we do, and shouldn't be too quick to dismiss it this early ? That is rubbish if it doesn't do caustics though.

CBR

Re' caustics. What version of R13 do you have. I have Broadcast and it misses caustics and displacement. MAXON could add this as it's the only features missing that are useful to me.

Caustics works for me with R13. Here's an old CB caustics scene rendered in R13 with both the standard and physical renderer.

In my opinion the Physical rendered version is much better. In fact I would say the quality of the standard rendered version is awful. The modest increase in render time was well worth it.

The grain you're getting with the Physical renderer can be reduced by increasing the sampling level. The default is very low. However as you increase quality you increase render time. You won't want to be using the Physical Renderer for all of your rendering.

3DKiwi

Load these then flick backwards and forwards using the next and previous buttons found near the top left and right hand edges of the image.

R13 standard renderer. AA Best

R13 Physical renderer. Sampling set to high.

I see. My mistake. Caustics do work when using lights, but they don't seem to work with HDRIs unless the old GI engine is used.

After some more tests the physical render does not seem to calculate the caustics right when using an HDRI. It also take a lot longer for the old GI engine to work with the physical render engine.

Here are some examples.

1m19s physical render with HDRI

post-60231-0-45066100-1315550903_thumb.j

1s standard render with HDRI. The caustics look way better here.

post-60231-0-97670900-1315551007_thumb.j

mmm, I think the Physical one looks real whereas the Std renderer looks overdone and clearly CG.

3DKiwi

Here is a render from unbiased render engine Thea Render.

It shows that not only is the standard render engine closer, but it is surprisingly close to perfect.

post-60231-0-19027900-1315580018_thumb.j