Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keign

R13 Physical Renderer And Camera

29 posts in this topic

Caustics works for me with R13. Here's an old CB caustics scene rendered in R13 with both the standard and physical renderer.

In my opinion the Physical rendered version is much better. In fact I would say the quality of the standard rendered version is awful. The modest increase in render time was well worth it.

The grain you're getting with the Physical renderer can be reduced by increasing the sampling level. The default is very low. However as you increase quality you increase render time. You won't want to be using the Physical Renderer for all of your rendering.

3DKiwi

Load these then flick backwards and forwards using the next and previous buttons found near the top left and right hand edges of the image.

R13 standard renderer. AA Best

R13 Physical renderer. Sampling set to high.

Kiwi, what were your rendertimes on the set of renders. I too am finding the physical renderer to be slow. I will render the same scene with the standard renderer and with GI and AO and its faster than using the physical renderer with AO.

I was worried because it's super slow and noisy for me too. Here's a comparison:

Standard Renderer with GI+AO: 4:06

Physical Renderer Progressive+Indirect Illumination: 12:43

How can we solve this problem? Any optimum setting ideas?

post-33618-0-56663300-1316347276_thumb.j

post-33618-0-16079600-1316347385_thumb.j

Yeah, I too have found it can be noisy and slow. But I don't think it is intended to be a complete replacement for the standard one. I stay away from it unless I need the in-scene DoF, M-blur and the other photgraphic things it is designed to be good at, or if I need that 'digital photography' look. Otherwise, standard is far faster in a lot of scenes I think. Now I just wish standard had a progressive mode, so I sometimes find myself using Physical for that feature too until rendertime.

There are optimum setttings for each scene no doubt, and there are already several tuts out there which will show you what does what, and theorise about what to optimise; the most succinct and notable I have found is Vertex-pusher's Volume 2 (or the bonus that comes with that) which explains it very logically.

Achievements

Yeah, I too have found it can be noisy and slow. But I don't think it is intended to be a complete replacement for the standard one. I stay away from it unless I need the in-scene DoF, M-blur and the other photgraphic things it is designed to be good at, or if I need that 'digital photography' look. Otherwise, standard is far faster in a lot of scenes I think. Now I just wish standard had a progressive mode, so I sometimes find myself using Physical for that feature too until rendertime.

There are optimum setttings for each scene no doubt, and there are already several tuts out there which will show you what does what, and theorise about what to optimise; the most succinct and notable I have found is Vertex-pusher's Volume 2 (or the bonus that comes with that) which explains it very logically.

I agree. It is good for certain uses...even animation since it seems to diminish annoying flickering (so far). But I'm glad I carried VrayforC4D into r13, since Physical isn't a magic "make pretty picture" solution.