Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Challenge - Model It With Primitives

109 posts in this topic

Posted

primitives2011.png

Hi everyone. Here's a modelling challenge with a twist. You can model whatever you like. Here's the catch, you can only use primitive objects. So no making the object or spline editable, no moving points, no extrudes etc.

Things that are allowed (this may not be a complete list):

All primitives, primitive splines, Booles, Arrays, Spline Mask, Deformers (see note below), MoGraph Cloners & Effectors, SweepNurbs, ExtrudeNurbs, LatheNurbs, LoftNurbs, Metaballs, Connect Object, MoSpline, Fracture, HyperNurbs, ClothNurbs, Nulls, Bump Maps and Lights.

Things that are not allowed:

Making anything editable, manually drawn splines e.g. bezier splines, Displacement maps and Normal maps. Also not permitted are: BezierNurbs, Correction Deformer and Free Form Deformer as these can be used in a limited way to simulate normal modelling.

You must not make Boole objects or anything else editable. If your scene is bogging down because you are using too many Boole objects, that's your problem.

The top 3 images will receive a Challenge award ribbon and also have their images featured in the Gallery.

Now the rules:

Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.

1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, November 11 2011.

2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like to do the lighting, modelling and texturing.

3. No imported models / meshes / scenes. You can use imported light setups if you want e.g. the lighting setup from the Cafe's download section (which is used in the image above). Sketch & Toons renders are fine.

4. Members can enter multiple times.

5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.

6. PhotoShop post work is not permitted. It has to be modelled and rendered in C4D or using a C4D renderer like Vray etc. But you can use imported texture maps or bump maps maps created in a 2D paint program or vector drawing program. No Displacement maps or Normal maps are be used. We want to see what you can come up with without faking detail.

8. At least one WIP solid render and one wireframe / C4D window screengrab are required as a reply to this thread. For the wireframe we also want to see the Object Manager to check that you aren't doing anything that you shouldn't be doing. Just take a screen grab of C4D (Reducing the size of your window first). Change your display mode to Gouraud shading with lines and also use Isoparm mode. See the attached image as an example of what we want.

9. Up to 2 rendered images and one wireframe may be submitted for your final entry. We want a maximum of 2 final renders and one screen grab.

10. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located

11. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.

12. Maximum image size is 1280x1024 and 400kb. Submit only jpeg images. We suggest that you render in a lossless format like tif or psd then convert your image to jpeg using a 2D image editor. jpeg's generated by C4D tend to have jagged edges.

13. Compositing objects into photographs / background images is not permitted in this challenge.

Good luck and have fun.

3DKiwi

Example of how we want the wireframe image for both this news item thread and also for the final entry thread. Please reduce your Cinema 4D window to be no more than 1280x1024.

Posted

This sounds very interesting :signthankspin:

Btw will the time counter come back? I always get so confused with the time difference ;)

Posted

Btw will the time counter come back? I always get so confused with the time difference ;)

See what I can do. I removed it prior to the forum upgrade as I wanted a clean upgrade.

Edit: New countdown timer loaded up on Portal page. Let me know if it's not working for you.

3DKiwi

Posted

Yes that`s a great Challenge. I have a lot of experience with primitive modelling. During the time 2000-2001 I`ve made modells with more

than 15000 primitive objects in Bryce.

So I`m in..

SaL CDA

Posted

This'll be an interesting one. Can't wait to see what people come up with.

Are we not having a halloween challenge this year?

Cheers

Jim

Posted

Are we not having a halloween challenge this year?

Sadly no. I reckon these are best held before Halloween not after. Interest quickly dies after the event.

Nigel

Posted

That's a shame, I always look forward to that challenge. Perhaps I'll do something halloweeny for this challenge.

Cheers

Jim

Posted

Sounds interesting. If work doesn't get in the way I may have a go. I'd have liked to have seen a challenge that limited it to just primitive objects. That would have been easy and hard all at the same time.

Posted

Edit: New countdown timer loaded up on Portal page. Let me know if it's not working for you.

3DKiwi

Perfect! Thank you!

Posted

This one will be interesting :signthankspin:

I hope it will give everyone a chance to express themselves creatively, but at the same time, it can be tricky since one is constrained with what can be used.

Cheers

Posted

Loftnurbs etc. are allowed with primitive splines (like circle spline)? Just wanted to know before I start ;-)

Posted

sorry, missed the allow list - forget my question :-)

Posted

Good idea, feels a bit like being given a box of shapes when you're a wee nipper :-)

Would like to have a go will see if I get time

brasc

Posted

Hi guys,

To say we can model whatever we like, I was actually stuck and couldn't think of anything. Eventually I decided to go with modelling a building and here is my start. I've moved the plane to one side so you can see how I got the look of the windows. Got loads more to add and I'm not sure yet how I'm going to create some of the parts. This challenge isdefinately going to get the old brain cells working.

Jim

Posted

ove these that of Challenges.. good luck all..

Posted

try to go for a stoneage bicycle

Here is as far as I am with this thing

post-27426-0-18036100-1319901596_thumb.jI

Posted

hi all,

his challenge looks interesting good luck everyone

Posted (edited)

Here's an update. I've done several screen grabs of the objects mgr and stuck them together seperately as the list is starting to get very long at just over 200 objects so far, and there is still quite a bit I want to add.

Jim

Edited by TheJimReaper

Posted

oooooo......I ilke it! I'll be no good....but I like it anyway!

Posted

Wow! That is amazing Jim. Can't believe you did this only with primitives. Really impressive.

Posted

A bit hard to compete with the reaper at the rate hes going. He'll have a whole city done before I even start. Nice though.

Posted

JimReaper, your building will have only one entrance/door? That is not much for such a structure. Impressive none the less. :signthankspin:

Posted

I've started simple!

the wire frame hasn't got much in the way of wire frame - am I doing this right?

Posted

Loftnurbs etc. are allowed with primitive splines (like circle spline)? Just wanted to know before I start ;-)

Yes. I will update the rules.

One that I don't think should be allowed is the "BezierNurbs" object. I will also add that to the not allowed list.

Those of us that started out with Bryce should really enjoy this. Modelling in Bryce consists of using primitive objects only and booleans and arrays. It does however allow zillions of booleans to be used without any overhead.

3DKiwi

Posted

Here is what I have prepared: a fountain with a water tap. The body of the fountain is a "dense" cube, as I used the collision deformer to kind of extrude the basin and the top of it. In this case I used the colision deformer as an advanced metaballs deformer (good one, isn't it?)

@Jim, really nice one.

post-1355-0-33521400-1319918803_thumb.jp