Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1000 Polygons Challenge

192 posts in this topic

Posted

1000polys.jpg

This is a modeling challenge, but with a catch. Often, in real life production, either for purposes of sculpting, game development and similar, you will be constrained to certain amount of polygons due to many technical reasons. That's why we decided to see what you can do with 1000 polygons as your limit. You can model a single model, or even more, but the total amount of polygons must be under 1000. Hypernurbs is allowed and it will not be taken into consideration, yet the original geometry should stay bellow the limit.

We are interested to see nice and clean models with proper topology, but that alone will not be the main factor. Diversity, creativity, out of the box ideas and economical use of geometry will be highly valued. Do have in mind that large studios and companies often browse forums in search off talents, and this is the opportunity to be noticed.

The top 3 models or scenes will receive a Challenge award ribbon.

Now the rules:

Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.

1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, May 4 2012.

2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like.

3. No imported models / meshes / scenes.

4. Members can enter multiple times.

5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.

6. At least one WIP image is required just to keep things interesting. We are interested in wireframes for this challenge.

7. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located

8. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.

Good luck and have fun.

Posted

question.... if you use symmetry, do the polygons created by the symmetry count? (if not converted into polygons)

Posted

I'll try and go for this one since I usually have to worry about my polycount with everything I do.

Posted

What about using Mograph? You might only have 6 polygons but thousands of procedural copies.

Posted

I've just started working on some low-poly characters. Guess this'll be a nice place to post my progress on one, hehehe. (I'm actually working tris, so at most I'll have 500 quads' worth lolz.)

Posted

I'll let HSrdelic answer the questions but my guess is using a MoGraph cloner is not what we had in mind. Same with a symmetry object. We want to see a model with a thousand polygons not 2000 if you were to make the cloner or symmetry object editable.

3DKiwi

Posted

Do have in mind that large studios and companies often browse forums in search off talents, and this is the opportunity to be noticed.

I try this one... :)

astovl

Posted

No Mograph, symmetry or similar - the reason is that you can't export that to game engine, sculpting program or VR environment. So use whatever you want, but the final result we are looking for are polygons only :)

Just to mention, to keep track off polygon count, simply hit ctrl+I and that will give you a popup window with all the info.

Cheers

Posted

So far my Hybrid BAT Model total of 978 :)

astovl

Posted

what about normals and displacement maps?

Posted

No :)

Cheers

Posted

Might have a go at this one, but really lacking in inspiration at the moment. :)

Posted

Rainy day maybe? :)

Cheers

Posted

Have had lots of rainy days over the past few weeks, and there doesn't seem to be an end to them!!! I always seem to stick to architectural type stuff, and I want to do something new, but can't decide on what.

Posted

Have had lots of rainy days over the past few weeks, and there doesn't seem to be an end to them!!! I always seem to stick to architectural type stuff, and I want to do something new, but can't decide on what.

"If in doubt, always do a robot wasp". Forget who said that - probably Walt Disney. I may have dreamt it.

Posted

Funny you should say that, I've been looking at some robot insects. Not sure I'm good enough to put one together, but it's somewhere to start.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Posted

So pretty much decided what I'm going to have a go at, this little guy below, and my kids have got one which helps as I have the really thing to use as refferance. But it's a lot bloomin harder than I thought. The way I wanted to start this guy off was going to cost me approx. 840 polys and that was before I added the legs and head, so basically it would have turned into a mechanical worm with a fat belly!!! So I change that a bit and got it down to a worm with a fat belly and 2 legs!!! I've now got the worm down to 156 polys but haven't added legs or a head yet but it is looking more promising. I'll look at the head and legs again tomorrow to streamline them some more.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is going to come up with.

Posted

It's a whole different story once constrained, right? :)

Cheers

Posted (edited)

another question?

if you use an object like a tube, cylinder...etc. and dont make it editable... do those count as polygons??

example attached

- im still a beginner learning here... from what i see..

- 1st screen shot image with hypernurbs is a polygon count of 19760.. which im guessing is adding hypernurbs polygon geometry.

- 2nd screen shot image without hypernurbs is a polygon count of 304.

-- am i understanding the polygons count correctly??

Edited by OriginalGem

Posted

You can use primitives but their polygons will be taken into account :)

Cheers

Posted (edited)

You can use primitives but their polygons will be taken into account :)

Cheers

got it...

another question... how important is texturing in this challenge? or is it strictly more just a modelling challenge?

Edited by OriginalGem

Posted

Absolutely no texturing is needed.

Cheers

Posted

After solving all the N-Gone, my polygon a of total 700 :) crazy BAT...

astovl

post-113138-0-32704000-1334643913_thumb.

Posted

I'll give it a go... here is my start.

Clue: "Enlighten me..." :thumbsup:

Posted

Not sure how this works... or am I mising something? I created a polygon flat objetc but counts more than one polygon? Help!

post-23481-0-88210900-1334698125_thumb.j