Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Challenge - Model It With Splines

80 posts in this topic

Posted

splines2012.png

Following on from the very successful 1000 polygon challenge, here's another challenge with a twist. You can only model using spline type objects i.e. we don't want any polygon modelling. The following objects are the only objects that you can use:

Spline primitives e.g. circle, helix etc. All the ones in the spline list except the Vectorizer

You can manually create splines (no imported splines e.g. Adobe Illustrator)

ExtrudeNURBS

SweepNURBS

LatheNURBS

LoftNURBS

SplineMask

Cloner

Array

Symmetry object

Boole

MoSpline

Particle emitter and particle modifiers

Deformers

Atom Array

Instance object

Null

You can use XPresso or Thinking Particles if you want. You can make splines editable and you can use the connect and delete command from the Object Manager right click menu to combine splines. Normal spline modelling operations like joining etc can be done.

You cannot make anything editable that generates polygons e.g. you can't make a boole or ExtrudeNURBS object editable.

No HyperNURBS objects. Change your spline interpolation and or increase intermediate points to get things smooth.

You can apply textures if you want to however we don't want you use to use normal maps or displacement maps to simulate extra detail. This is a modelling challenge and judging will mainly be on modelling.

The top 3 models or scenes will receive a Challenge award ribbon and feature in the Cafe's gallery.

Now the rules:

Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.

1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, May 18 2012.

2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like.

3. No imported models / meshes / scenes.

4. Members can enter multiple times.

5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.

6. At least one WIP image is required just to keep things interesting. We also want a wireframe screengrab of your workspace that shows your model in wireframe mode and also the Object Manager so that we can check that you aren't using polygons.

7. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located You are required to attach 1 only final rendered image plus 1 only wireframe image. The wireframe image is to be a screengrab of your Cinema 4D workspace including the Object Manager. We want to check that you haven't used polygons. If you have lots of objects then post additional screengrabs of the Object Manager to include all objects.

8. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.

Only for the final entry do we really want to see all of the objects. If your WIP image doesn't show all objects in the Object Manager don't worry about it.

Good luck and have fun.

Posted

Another great idea for a challenge! Is it allowed to use a plugin like Spline Patch or Splurf?

Posted

Another great idea for a challenge! Is it allowed to use a plugin like Spline Patch or Splurf?

No because that puts those with these plugins at an unfair advantage.

Nigel

Posted

Thanks for the clarification, Nigel. I had the same thought... :cry:

Posted

Nice interesting challenge :cry: I would have been up for this but my system has died and I've got nothing to install C4D on. Well fingers crossed that I can raise some cash in the near future.

Posted

Sorry, this may be a stupid question but....

This can be either a model or a whole scene?

Also, is it the same as the 1000 poly challenge where we are being judged purely on modelling/creativity and not textures etc?

Posted

Nixie, it doesn't say so interpret the brief to your best advantage. Stretch it as far as you dare.

Posted

Model what ever you like.

Re materials - new explanation added to rules:

You can apply textures if you want to however we don't want you use to use normal maps or displacement maps to simulate extra detail. This is a modelling challenge and judging will mainly be on modelling.

3DKiwi

Posted

Another cool idea for a challenge, should be great fun. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Jim

Posted

Quick question, can we use hypernurbs to help with smoothing? I won't be making anything inside it editable, just want to use it for smoothing.

Cheers

Jim

Posted (edited)

I know it says cloner, can we use symmet umm simmetr ... ugh - I mean the mirror tool?

oh man, spelling isn't my strong suit :)

Edited by bobc4d

Posted

A question; For example I have used Sweep nurbs and made a pipe.

After that, I have changed that into a polygonal object.

Can we make a change on that polygonnal objects by using "point mode","edge mode","polygon mode"?

thank you very much.

Bener

Posted

Quick question, can we use hypernurbs to help with smoothing?

No. You should be able to get things smoothing by changing spline interpolation.

Symmetry object - yes. I'll update the rules.

A question; For example I have used Sweep nurbs and made a pipe.

After that, I have changed that into a polygonal object.

Can we make a change on that polygonnal objects by using "point mode","edge mode","polygon mode"?

thank you very much.

The rules state that you can't make objects editable. There are to be no polygons.

3DKiwi

Posted

Sir Kiwi,

How about Cloth NURBS :)

Posted

fun challenge! finally have some time to participate

just a simple lens so far... probably going to make the cap as well but other than that... don't know, the body of a camera seems almost impossible with splines ;)

post-96198-0-50270200-1336391975_thumb.j

Posted

Cafe Bike On going :)

post-113138-0-86263100-1336397254_thumb.

Posted

No. You should be able to get things smoothing by changing spline interpolation.

No worries. I know I could do it that way, just thought I'd ask if HN was also available.

Cheers

Jim

Posted

So, I know its not mentioned up there and youre probably getting sick of all these questions,

but I was just wondering if instances would be acceptable?

I have just come across this while making my entry. I needed to rotate clones and they werent

behaving how I wanted them to, so if I can have them as instances I can rotate them individually.

I have attached a screenshot of my entry just rendered out as it is in my viewport. If anyone

knows how I can rotate my cabins like that in the cloner, could you please let me know? I have

tried everything :)

Its not a big deal if we cant use instances. My cabins arent finished. Im working on the cabin

in another scene so Im gonna have to do all that again anyway. I just wont be able to use the

cloner if I cant figure out how to turn them individually.

post-90327-0-43624200-1336405420_thumb.j

Posted

I have just come across this while making my entry. I needed to rotate clones and they werent

behaving how I wanted them to, so if I can have them as instances I can rotate them individually.

Not sure what you mean. If you mean so that they all hang down, just turn off align in your cloner.

Posted

ClothNurbs - No. If you're needing to smooth your model by using a cloth or HyperNURBS object your spline settings are wrong.

Instances - Yes. Rules updated.

3DKiwi

Posted

pretty much done

post-96198-0-85677800-1336421020_thumb.j

might try something more complex but no ideas at the moment

Posted

2nd project started - a little more challenging - here's a WIP

In the words of the great Rolf Harris, "Can you tell what it is, yet?"

post-49698-0-34363600-1336424009_thumb.j

Posted

ClothNurbs - No. If you're needing to smooth your model by using a cloth or HyperNURBS object your spline settings are wrong.

Instances - Yes. Rules updated.

3DKiwi

I use ClothNurbs not for smoothing but adding thickness on the LatheNurbs.

astovl

Posted

I use ClothNurbs not for smoothing but adding thickness on the LatheNurbs.

Oh I see. I can't see why you can't simulate thickness with a spline and a LatheNURBS objects. Just a matter of having the spline go back on itself with an offset. Perhaps send me a scene file where you need to add thickness and I'll see what I think.

3DKiwi

Posted

Oh I see. I can't see why you can't simulate thickness with a spline and a LatheNURBS objects. Just a matter of having the spline go back on itself with an offset. Perhaps send me a scene file where you need to add thickness and I'll see what I think.

3DKiwi

:)

post-113138-0-89146300-1336461710_thumb.