PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D
PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

benignoo

Animating a sculpt

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

for a title sequence I want to animate a kind of claymation look on my typography. Buds of clay shall fall into form of letters as if formed and animated by hand in nice and handmade 12fps.

For the realistic clay modeling-look I am really happy with a combination of a material with several combined displacement layers and a sculpting. btw: For the look that I want achieve it works only with both of those, material and sculpting.

Also I need, of course, to animate the type and I want to animate the sculpting as well, cause that looks real realistic and neat.

Here comes (for me) two problems:

1. - First is that even if I turn on "Freeze" and "Allow Deformations" in the sculpt tag (and am in point, or any other, mode) I cannot animate the mesh with neither the modeling brush nor the move or live selection tool. (This wouldn't be soo bad if I could solve the second one.)

Cause I then did the whole animation ("hand forming" of the clay) in the sculpting. So I made copies from the final type and sculpt-animated it (copy by copy) back to a chunk of clay. Done that (for in the end 20 letters) I had to do the actual animation in handclicking the visibility tag or traffic light for each object on and off. So each object one should be visible one frame, then object two for one, and ad infinitum... Here comes problem

2. - This is not only a p*** in the ass it makes future changes also to a matter of life and death. Also, for some reasons, it wouldn't render all of the models. Maybe it would render copy 10 but not copy six...

So isn't there a way to tell (2.) the scene: object#1 is visible in frame#1, object#2 in frame#2 and so on? "Expresso perhaps? which I'm unfortunately not yet too familiar with)

I already tried all the objects in a cloner, set "clones" to "sort" and could roughly control their visibility with a plain effector. But a simpler way I don't see?

Or (1.) simply a way to animate the mesh whilst the sculpt tag is also active. (For some reason I could understand sculpt-baking so far, maybe that's worth a shot too...)

Any ideas would be lovely.

(animated gif and screenshot attached) 

Sincerely

Beni

post-160605-0-91031000-1401379458_thumb.

post-160605-0-15334200-1401382626_thumb.

Here's a quick xpresso setup that allows you to control visiblity with time:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl8wqp89mhzu4rg/Time%20controlled%20visibility.c4d

Just drag all your objects that need to be animated in the link list node and the setup will take care of the rest.

I added a math node so that you can give time intervals for a stop motion type look. Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, thanx so much. That seems to work very well.

The best thing is I can understand some more expresso with it.

If you ever come to Berlin make sure, I'll buy you drink. 

Not a problem buddy. Will have that drink one day for sure.

One more thing, workaholic,

can you briefly explain how I'd have to set up two things if I want to replace the cubes with null objects containing the actual animation?

When I do that now my new nulls in it will turn visible one after one but, contrary to the cubes, will remain visible forever, no matter if I just go on in the timeline or even go back at the beginning.

I understand I have to put them in the master null (with the expresso tag), adding the new objects (nulls) in the "Link List"-node, and in the "Object Operator"-node there must be a "Reference"-Object (which was set by you to "Cube 0").

Then I'm losing it...

It might have something to do with the tag next to "Visible in Editor/Renderer" in the "Reference"-cube "Cube 0" (see attached screenshot). Do I have to make the my first null that "Reference" or do I need to set any keyframes?

post-160605-0-32604500-1401445939_thumb.

You got it right, just keyframe all the animated nulls on frame 0 with visibile in renderer and visible in editor set to on.

Ah, yes it works. It didn't work in the beginning with empty nulls, but I seemed to have done something wrong because now it perfectly works with any object, null, cloner, objects and nulls with children, only, for some reason, not so good with the childs of connect objects, which is not bothering me at all.

Thanks again and have a great day!