Insydium Cycles
Insydium Cycles
jhzondervan

Character object and mesh deformer

7 posts in this topic

Hallo everyone!

This is the first time i ever post anything on a forum so I don't rly know how it works, BUT this stuff is driving me so crazy i jsut dont know where to go from here.

I have always worked in maya but at this new studio i work at they use C4D. For a project we need a riged character and people adviced me to use the character object for this. the thing works awesome! but i wanted to customize it a bit with a custom face rig. basically some bones and Posemorphs, nothing fancy and it works fine.

our character has a mustach and to stick this to the face i used a mesh deformer following a tutorial on digital tutors. for the guy in the tutorial it works great, but for me it lags behind my character. if i viewport render it looks fine but one i do an actual render it snaps back. i did quiet some research and found out it had to do with priorities, BUT the mesh deformer doesnt have any priority settings!!!!!

to try and trouble shoot this i made a new scene, really simple. a cylinder with some bones and a box with a mesh deformer. (i attached this file)

In this file the same thing happens.... the cube moves fine in the viewport but in the render it ^%@!s up.. does anybody have any idea's what is causing this?

thanks!!
Jim

bonemeshdeformer.c4d

On my system the cube works fine in the viewport and in the picture viewer(when i render out the animation).

It didn't work when trying to render a still frame. If you just need a particular frame, you could always right click the cube and go to "current state to object" and then hide or delete your initial cube(mustache).

that is what i thoughed, but the cube is actualy not at the right place it is lagging behind a little bit.. also this means frame 1 is always off (unless the character would start in his T pose, what he never will)...

there must be a solution to this more then: just live with it :p

thanks for the help though!!

Edited by jhzondervan

Or you could always do this once you're satisfied with your animation.
I just added a correction deformer under the mesh deformer and then I added a point cache (character > point cache) to the correction deformer.

You then cache the deformation and voila! At that point the mesh deformer is no longer needed.

bonemeshdeformer.c4d

thanks it would indeed be an option! none the less i feel like there should be a way to fix it.

i got the idea from here:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/784-Facial-Rigging-in-CINEMA-4D#play-18084
he does the same thing without any lagging or rendering issues what so ever..

maybe someone has an idea why this is going on

I figured it out!!

in the object manager it is important to have your target object (the character or in this case the cylinder) ABOVE the object you want to deform (the mustach or cube in this case) this way it will render corectly. the reason beeing that yes c4d renders using a priority system but it also calculates from top to bottom in the object manager.

thanks for the help! and hopefully this will be usefull for someone

awesome!