Insydium Cycles
Insydium Cycles
Cerbera

Darth Vader - SDS modelling challenge

27 posts in this topic

Me and @VECTOR have been furiously modelling away recently inspired by a help request in the new users forum, in which someone had downloaded a hideous mesh, full of terrible triangles, so we thought it would be fun to model Vader's helmet properly out of quads.  This will take an hour, we thought.

3 days later, we were still going. I had opted to do a 2-piece mask, circa Return of the Jedi, whereas Vector went full-on rage mode, doing the 3-piece prop mask, including internals, from Revenge of the Sith.

Modelling-wise, it's been a challenge, and I am still not 100% about all my edge flows, even though it's 100% quads, but I am mostly happy. I have 1 complex pole remaining, but will eliminate that eventually. In the meantime, here's a couple of renders and wires from me, which we can compare and contrast with Vector's more detailed version, which'll be along this afternoon :)

Vader-062-001.jpg Vader-head-064-front.jpg Vader-head-064B.jpg

Wire front.jpg Wire mouthbox.jpg Wire side.jpg

CBR

5 people like this

Oooooh baby cant wait to post mine later ;) 

Great job, cant wait to see it finished! It will be great piece for the new front gallery, so make it happen! ;)

We also could do something like that on a more massive scale... :)

@Cerbera can you upload here that helmet ?

1 person likes this

Thanks, @Sigor. I'll upload it once I have perfected the modelling. It's almost there.

Now you guys need to do the rest kf the body too :p

You should record videos of making these, it would be invaluable for workflow dopes like me.

Right, so heres my progress/wip so far, stupid amounts of detail on this version of the helmet, all of which il be adding to my model, most of the external detailing is done, some more bits to add to the top of the face mask and around the collar, then on to the inside of the mask, which a wholeother kettle of fish, with all sorts going on in there. its been pretty fun so far, and a nice change from character modelling, although you could argue that this still falls under that catagory, i'll be posting updates as i go, well done to @Cerbera on his version of the helmet, exellent job all round!

7.jpg8.jpg3.jpg4.jpg1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

1 person likes this

Supperb work @VECTOR !! :999:

4 minutes ago, SIgor said:

Supperb work @VECTOR !! :999:

thanks bro :D fun project

Bit more progress from me - I notice I do seem to be doing all of him now (sigh) :)

Quite pleased with my version of the breastplate so far (though I am going to refine and tighten up those central divots tomorrow and add some more shoulder pad details), and also getting nice results on a temporary cloak mesh using Irwan reflectance, which isn't taking too long to render, even on medium quality. This render took 10 mins (physical, adaptive, No GI, AO). Now to work out if I can model in the cloak folds or if cloth and some wind is worth a go.

Vader-69-01-bp-test.jpg breastwire.jpg

CBR

wow, amazing work guys.  well detailed and modeled.