PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D
PixelPlow Render Farm for Cinema 4D
jacksirkett

From Work Path to Stylised 3d Head

17 posts in this topic

Hey there guys,

one of my first projects I wish to complete in C4D is making the Logo for my event 3d. I've attached a picture of what I have achieved so far (taken a work path from Photoshop, imported into C4D and extruded). I'm not trying to create a photo realistic head here, just a stylised version, so as long as I get a rough shape I'm happy!

I'm having trouble working out how to do a couple of things:

1. How would I get a bulge to the head, as opposed to just a straight extrusion. Can you guys point me in the way of any tips / tools / tuts which deal with taking a spline and turning it into a head.

2. How, when I get that 'head' shape, could I split the main head and hair part so I can add hair just to the top?

Thanks!

J

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 15.49.14.png

Hi.  Do you have a reference of what your trying to achieve?

Dan

if you want a 3d stylized head, then using a spline in a extrude nurbs is not the way to go. you'll need to poly/sds model roughly the entire head from either a primative, and then start to model in the details or completely from scratch as i do usually starting with the nose and eye areas, i dont know your level of experience, or skills with modelling but organic stuff can be quite tricky, epsecially if you're trying to create a character head, with no prior experience of doing so, as for the hair, you would either add a hair object, or poly model the hair as a separate peice usually after you finish with modelling the actual head, as rectro said, do you have a better refrence for what exactly you're after?

If its to be a embossed head then sculpting the forms on a plane is very tricky.  Not sure if C4D can do project like in Zbrush, but get a complete 3d head and project it through, against a plane to emboss it.

emboss.jpg

I don't really have a reference as such, but the logo depicts an African woman with an Afro hair cut. 

This seems to be a lot more difficult than I thought haha! 

2 hours ago, jacksirkett said:

Yes, 3D is difficult and complicated. I'm always surprised that people don't imagine that is the case :)

Vector is right - you need to model this properly.

CBR

2 hours ago, jacksirkett said:

I don't really have a reference as such, but the logo depicts an African woman with an Afro hair cut. 

Is what you want embossed as my example? 

2 hours ago, Rectro said:

Is what you want embossed as my example? 

Yes, that'd be a great start as a beginner.

J

Just now, jacksirkett said:

Yes, that'd be a great start as a beginner.

J

Am looking for a solution for you right now.  If you can use a generic head in C4D that you can alter to your liking, then displace that or project that onto a surface then that should do the trick.  Il get back when I find a way.

Dan

5 hours ago, Rectro said:

Am looking for a solution for you right now.  If you can use a generic head in C4D that you can alter to your liking, then displace that or project that onto a surface then that should do the trick.  Il get back when I find a way.

can't he use the camera deformer and change the generic head (from sculpting library ) manually ?

4 hours ago, maliohammad said:

can't he use the camera deformer and change the generic head (from sculpting library ) manually ?

Cool, can you show us an example please? 

Dan

32 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Cool, can you show us an example please? 

Dan

111847_55.jpg

I made this with camera deformer , and you can use the FFD deformer for more control 

111847_55.c4d.zip