jacksirkett

From Work Path to Stylised 3d Head

17 posts in this topic

Hey there guys,

one of my first projects I wish to complete in C4D is making the Logo for my event 3d. I've attached a picture of what I have achieved so far (taken a work path from Photoshop, imported into C4D and extruded). I'm not trying to create a photo realistic head here, just a stylised version, so as long as I get a rough shape I'm happy!

I'm having trouble working out how to do a couple of things:

1. How would I get a bulge to the head, as opposed to just a straight extrusion. Can you guys point me in the way of any tips / tools / tuts which deal with taking a spline and turning it into a head.

2. How, when I get that 'head' shape, could I split the main head and hair part so I can add hair just to the top?

Thanks!

J

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 15.49.14.png

Hi.  Do you have a reference of what your trying to achieve?

Dan

if you want a 3d stylized head, then using a spline in a extrude nurbs is not the way to go. you'll need to poly/sds model roughly the entire head from either a primative, and then start to model in the details or completely from scratch as i do usually starting with the nose and eye areas, i dont know your level of experience, or skills with modelling but organic stuff can be quite tricky, epsecially if you're trying to create a character head, with no prior experience of doing so, as for the hair, you would either add a hair object, or poly model the hair as a separate peice usually after you finish with modelling the actual head, as rectro said, do you have a better refrence for what exactly you're after?

If its to be a embossed head then sculpting the forms on a plane is very tricky.  Not sure if C4D can do project like in Zbrush, but get a complete 3d head and project it through, against a plane to emboss it.

emboss.jpg

I don't really have a reference as such, but the logo depicts an African woman with an Afro hair cut. 

This seems to be a lot more difficult than I thought haha! 

2 hours ago, jacksirkett said:

Yes, 3D is difficult and complicated. I'm always surprised that people don't imagine that is the case :)

Vector is right - you need to model this properly.

CBR

2 hours ago, jacksirkett said:

I don't really have a reference as such, but the logo depicts an African woman with an Afro hair cut. 

Is what you want embossed as my example? 

2 hours ago, Rectro said:

Is what you want embossed as my example? 

Yes, that'd be a great start as a beginner.

J

Just now, jacksirkett said:

Yes, that'd be a great start as a beginner.

J

Am looking for a solution for you right now.  If you can use a generic head in C4D that you can alter to your liking, then displace that or project that onto a surface then that should do the trick.  Il get back when I find a way.

Dan

5 hours ago, Rectro said:

Am looking for a solution for you right now.  If you can use a generic head in C4D that you can alter to your liking, then displace that or project that onto a surface then that should do the trick.  Il get back when I find a way.

can't he use the camera deformer and change the generic head (from sculpting library ) manually ?

4 hours ago, maliohammad said:

can't he use the camera deformer and change the generic head (from sculpting library ) manually ?

Cool, can you show us an example please? 

Dan

32 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Cool, can you show us an example please? 

Dan

111847_55.jpg

I made this with camera deformer , and you can use the FFD deformer for more control 

111847_55.c4d.zip