Insydium Cycles
Insydium Cycles
esegabbo

Liquid rising through path

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I am very interested in knowing how to create a similar effect from the X-men initial scene (please refer to 3:15 scene), where liquid goes up a  given path. 

Can anyone please give me some ideas of:

1. Creating the liquid material (not as a water in pool) that will retain its form. 

2. Moving the liquid through a path. 

I have not found specfic tutorials on it, yet maybe a combination of some could do it. If you have simple instructions for a beginner it will ve greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

I can't see the video (blocked for copyright etc) but if I'm guessing what the effect is correctly, you can do that with splines in metaballs, or by spline-wapping a capsule object along splines that fill your 'channels'. That way you can move the liquid along by varying the spline-wrap offset. There are loads of tutorials for spline-wrap on youtube - watch one of those - then you just have to  make all your splines where you want the 'liquid' to go, spline-wrap a capsule along each one (and give it hundreds of height segments), and lastly keyframe Offset to get it moving.

CBR

1 person likes this

Excellent! Great help! 

Yesterday that video was up!  Found another video and also an image. =)

example-liquid path.jpeg

Ah OK - there's 2 different sorts of FX going on there. For doing the look in the still you posted, my original advice still applies, but there is the other type of effect earlier in the video, where the gold stuff moves really fast down the walls - that is best done with a luminant texture, and animated gradients.

1 person likes this

excellent! Great help!