• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 randyarchy

randyarchy

Vilse

• 859 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

Depending on the project I use the animation aa. Since I am trying to match the video quality the animation filter goes nice with video shoots (DVcam and beta) but is far too soft for the HD stuff.

/randy

Wiley:
i have a hard time getting that similar softness in post...

Edited by randyarchy, 16 September 2008 - 09:43 AM.

just leave it there.

#22 Wiley

Wiley
  • 87 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

i don't take any broadcast specs into consideration, besides title/action safe and resolution, when outputing from c4d. things like frame rates, fields, color safe, or chyron assembly specs are established during final output from AE in my adapted workflow.

#23 mala

mala
  • 3,546 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

have to agree with wiley....i'd start big with the sharpest image you can get...then let AE do the rest...PAL/NTSC can look pretty disgusting when viewed large with modern screens/projectors...and if you render to that quality you'll never be able to go back up......Start big and you can always turn your large sharp image into a tiny little soft one if you need

my2p
I've learned from my mistakes and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly. MacPro3.2+10GB ram+8800GT

#24 StCanas

StCanas

This is not me...

• 4,473 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

^ Yep. I do PAL and NTSC and I always start with an absolutely pristine image.

Cheers
Karl

#25 sneather

sneather
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

I think what I was trying to point out, as I do mostly HD work for broadcast, is that if your anti-aliasing is too crisp, it won't matter what you do in AE. After Effects doesn't automatically add any special anti aliasing benefits to the rendering process. Unless you add specific kinds of blurs, or matte controls. It's not that I want overly soft edges, but you need a certain amount of blend when dealing with ultra fine detail, as well as intersecting edges with highlights or shadows. Another issue I have come across, when animating with "Still Image" is that it doesn't handle the subtle play of shadows over objects particularly well - when the object or light is moving, that is. I have tended to see flicker (not using GI) and abnormalities, which immediately go away when I process the same project with the "Animation" filter, instead. Perhaps we just have different objectives with our animations, so the desired results could certainly vary.

#26 colibert

colibert
  • 2,836 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

im off home now but il stick some stuff up tommorow, i just need to check if i can as the client hasnt seen it yet, although lesia44 and mala have seen it to check if they could see any flickering,

managed to get flicker free object animation with aa set to 2x2 and 4x4,

what is it thats not good with the AA? ive never had a problem with it, except when you go over 2x2 and 4x4 and it goes very very slow,

but i hardly do any animation stuff so your in more of a position to know the problems, im doing more and more of it though and would like to know so i can avoid any issues

Edited by colibert, 16 September 2008 - 12:39 PM.

My Website - If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.

#27 sneather

sneather
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

He's right. The AA in C4D is below-standard. It's not something which is always evident, and far less so when you're only doing still work. But I just started a thread a couple weeks back, about serious AA issues when trying to get clean reflections along some very fine edges of my models. I had to go 4x4-8x8 to solve the problem. Clearly, that is a SERIOUS time hit on the render. I often reference Electric Image, and rightly so. While I detest their UI, the final renders from their "Camera" module are stunning, and comparatively fast. Plus, EIAS never has issues with flickering shadows, or the like. I wish C4D could license whatever code EI uses for their rendering engine.

#28 Wiley

Wiley
  • 87 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

when i render i always do multi-pass renders with alpha's. that way i can hit the alphas in AE with fast blur and minimax (i actually use a free sub pixel plugin that's free from ObviousFX in place of minimax). i don't have a lot of experience with other 3d programs besides Maya. but as i've experienced AA quality issues it's always a matter of pumping up the min to max sampling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users