Problems With Baking Textures

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mapposity

mapposity
  • 23 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

I have been trying to bake objects in Cinema 4D R11 and am not getting the results I want. Specifically there are anisotropic reflections/materials that are not getting baked in at all. I have also tried using the Bake texture tag and making a layered Photoshop file from that and I get nothing usable. The only thing I have gotten out of baking is a material color with the illumination (lighting). Ambient occlusion bakes have also given me strange errors on the edges of geometry where the extrusion meets the caps and/or bevels if there are. In those cases, geometry was made editable and all objects were connected and then points merged. So my question really is how do I get baked anisotropic reflections/shaders and proper ambient occlusion baked without erros? Any clues as to something I am missing?

#2 Anthony Owen

Anthony Owen

Oldest Member

• Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 3,350 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

Off hand, I think most problems are UV connected.
Win 7, 8 core PC with 12 Gb RAM 64 Bit

#3 drb1981

drb1981
  • 1,193 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

I don't think you can bake reflective surfaces can you!?!?

#4 mapposity

mapposity
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

According to the C4D R11 Help files you can bake reflections. There is a checkbox in the Bake Texture Tag for Reflections, which makes either a layered PSD or an individual jpg. I've checked my UV's again and again and they seem fine. Basically Cinema seems to not bake reflections accurately from what I see. If anyone has done this successfully I would love to know how it's done.

#5 MilesBaskett

MilesBaskett

3D Ronin

• 2,373 posts
  • C4D Version:After Effects / C4D Lite

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Don't remember the exact name of the option...something like "angle of camera" or something close needs to be checked to get the reflections looking the same as when you render it in the viewport ect.

Other problems stem from bad UV's with wasted texture space/ or textures that are to small for the resolution wanted, and also textures themselves can create problems. After using baker in c4d for eight years, I have ran into, and made workarounds for all of the problems you can encounter in c4ds baker. Personally, I dont feel that it is as acurate as some other programs when it comes to baking anything that involves AR like GI. I have also found that sometimes certain shaders can mess with the performance of the baking process. I had shaders cancel others out, all black baked textures, and on and on...I've only come across one texture set up that is reletivly good and stable that requires textures to be "stacked" in the OM and then baked using a "null" texture(my own made up term, not in the manual so don't look).

The Cafe does not archive old threads or allow image linking so all the threads that explained this in detail are gone. Maybe google or the "waybackmachine" still has them, I'm not sure.
MilesBaskett "King of Baking" ~Myspace~

#6 mapposity

mapposity
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the responses- I have tried numerous methods- just about everything you can think of. Bottom line is this- If you apply bake texture tag and then bake a reflection, it gives you an error in the UV map- can't understand why it's happening.

#7 MilesBaskett

MilesBaskett

3D Ronin

• 2,373 posts
  • C4D Version:After Effects / C4D Lite

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Can you post a pick of the improperly baked map? Is it coming out all black, or are the reflections simply "wrong" looking?
MilesBaskett "King of Baking" ~Myspace~

#8 mapposity

mapposity
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

The luminance channel (which had an anisotropic setting) came out with the anisotropy but I was getting a blotchy coloring on the rest of the map even when the resolution of the baked texture was pushed to 3k and with supersampling on. As for the reflection- that is the one that was coming out wrong- it puts seams in the middle of the uvs so that you see the seams when it gets mapped back onto the UVs. I think we are going to move to another workaround for this but thanks for all the help- things are not working this way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users