• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 C4DFreak

C4DFreak

A Part Timer

• 1,255 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

If you make an object say an left hand. Is it possible to make a Mirror of that hand as a New Object.

#2 Guest_vuurstorm_*

Guest_vuurstorm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

As far as I know the only way is to duplicate an object and then add/remove a minus in front of the relevant axis in the coordinate window

#3 theinfomercial

theinfomercial

No idea what to write here....

• 1,413 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

As far as I know the only way is to duplicate an object and then add/remove a minus in front of the relevant axis in the coordinate window

That will work for various objects, but not a hand that has to have a mirror of itself (otherwise you'd end up with two left hands [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img] ).

The answer is a bit more complex than I'd like it to be, but doable:

1). Select the object and go into polygon mode and activate the mirror tool.

2). Use whatever settings you wish and hit apply.

3). Make sure the mirrored copy of the hand's polygons is selected (the mirror tool does this by default once you create the mirrored object), and use the split tool. This will create another object in the object manager with the mirrored polygons.

4). Delete the selected polygons (don't worry, they are part of the single object not the mirrored copy).

5). Tidy up the meshes by using the optimize tool (the original mesh still contained the points of the mirrored copy).

6). Use the axis center to center the axis of both objects (if you want).
I recommend you turn around....immediately if possible.....

#4 C4DFreak

C4DFreak

A Part Timer

• 1,255 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

thanks. I will try this. I got the 2 hands made, and am in the process of sorting all of the body parts. I really dont know what is the best way to sort all the parts for rigging purposes so a whole new subject has shown up. Thanks for your time and responses

#5 Guest_chrizto_*

Guest_chrizto_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:56 AM

If you're planning on altering the result, maybe adding a symmetry object to the optimized x.0 'ed half would be better?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users