#41 Vozzz

Vozzz

Ze Voz, the one and only

• Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 3,180 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

I dunno, what's the big deal either.

I love Gi coz it generally cuts set up time by like 10x. That means that you can send it off to render really quickly, and start working on your next project or watever.

Also someone mentioned using a the mograph skylight thingy. which produces great results. but it is most definately not faster than Gi. atleast not vray Gi.

I personally rarely go for realism, but i still love what Gi does. I honestly don't see myself doing anything except maybe technical or 2d style animations without gi.

#42 paulselhi

paulselhi

"He should be hung" I think he is Your Majesty

• 4,645 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

ScottA.. my initial post was meant to make people think about whether they really needed GI in a render and to suggest that people investigate lighting setups more. I never said that GI was to be totally avoided, i never said to ignore GI

You seem to have it in your head that I am some sort of GI Luddite and you are a defender of innovation. You seem to have taken on the idea that I stand against GI and it is your sacred role to defend it.

Lets get it clear, i am not aginast Gi, i use GI, I have made tutorials about GI. A good GI render has me really bashing the bishop.

But I will stick to my original point that there are many times when GI is not needed and a good light setup MAY end up being a lot more predictable, stable and better for such things as object animation and net renders.

My intention was to state that with all this desire for "one click" GI solutions to scene lighting many people are ignoring the development of their lighting skills.

Personnaly i don't really care to much how you light your scenes, what ever floats your boat.

Edited by paulselhi, 02 April 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#43 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,004 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

i think if people are learning a 3d app then they should work on the lighting skills (with lights) before they move on to Gi.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#44 StCanas

StCanas

This is not me...

• 4,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:52 AM

Looking at many scenes that people have issues with i often think..does this really need gi? Why is it that we have become so obsessed with doing every render with gi and often overlook the critical role lighting plays in a render.

i think if people are learning a 3d app then they should work on the lighting skills (with lights) before they move on to Gi.

And it's not our place to try and force him to change his mind.

Paul's premiss is absolutely right, people are splashing GI all over the place and often quite unessesarily. Here is an example that perfectly illustrates Paul's point...

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showt...=42573&st=0

As data says, people should learn to light, not just reach for the perceived magic bullet of GI. In fact, a lot of people simply need to learn what Gi actually is for starters. The general misconception is illustrated in post #24 in the above thread and the reality is touched upon in Steve's comment above in this thread.

I'm a big fan of GI renders, but there's a time and a place. And it's rarely a substitute for putting a good lighting setup in place.

And no-one is trying to force Paul to change his mind. Why would we, he's right...

Cheers
Karl

#45 Guest_bobzilla_*

Guest_bobzilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

I'm mainly interested in outdoor lighting for animation. I don't see a lot of info on that. Lots of indoor still set ups.

I just use regular lights. My problem is I have a tough time figuring out where to place them. I always get blown out highlights even though the scene still looks dark to me.

#46 paulselhi

paulselhi

• 4,645 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

If you look at the image i posted above then interior lighting is not always that difficult. I have only 8 lights here, 4 on the right acting as windows, one behind the camera and to the left acting as fill, two placed near the ceilings in each room acting as global fill and one on the floor pointing up being the floor light

for exteriors most people use 1 bounce in gi so a lighting setup that emulates that is fairly simple. A sun light and a dome hemisphere light and perhaps a floor/ground light simulating the bounced light from the ground the new sky automates that and that is why if you use it for an interior scene you will get a blue ambient look, this is due to sky dome light option in the details tab

#47 StCanas

StCanas

This is not me...

• 4,464 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

Is the one you've used on the floor one big Area Light?

Cheers
Karl

#48 paulselhi

paulselhi

• 4,645 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

yup, maybe should have made 2..not sure

#49 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,004 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

you just have to recreate what Gi would do.
simulate the bouncing light of Gi.
so you have to figure out what would be the strength of the light that would bounce off a surface.
then create a light that matches and pointing the direction the light would bounce

i read in the past about the ice age movie that Pixar made and it said they use over 30 lights in 1 scene.
so dont be worried about how many lights you have

Edited by dataflow, 03 April 2009 - 02:03 PM.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#50 Guest_bobzilla_*

Guest_bobzilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Well, that's kind of MY problem. Not sure how many to place or where to place them. I waste a lot of time trying to figure that out, then I don't like the results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users