• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#41 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,098 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

i think if people are learning a 3d app then they should work on the lighting skills (with lights) before they move on to Gi.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#42 StCanas

StCanas

This is not me...

• Supporter's Club Silver
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:52 AM

Looking at many scenes that people have issues with i often think..does this really need gi? Why is it that we have become so obsessed with doing every render with gi and often overlook the critical role lighting plays in a render.

i think if people are learning a 3d app then they should work on the lighting skills (with lights) before they move on to Gi.

And it's not our place to try and force him to change his mind.

Paul's premiss is absolutely right, people are splashing GI all over the place and often quite unessesarily. Here is an example that perfectly illustrates Paul's point...

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showt...=42573&st=0

As data says, people should learn to light, not just reach for the perceived magic bullet of GI. In fact, a lot of people simply need to learn what Gi actually is for starters. The general misconception is illustrated in post #24 in the above thread and the reality is touched upon in Steve's comment above in this thread.

I'm a big fan of GI renders, but there's a time and a place. And it's rarely a substitute for putting a good lighting setup in place.

And no-one is trying to force Paul to change his mind. Why would we, he's right...

Cheers
Karl

#43 paulselhi

paulselhi

"He should be hung" I think he is Your Majesty

• 4,682 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

If you look at the image i posted above then interior lighting is not always that difficult. I have only 8 lights here, 4 on the right acting as windows, one behind the camera and to the left acting as fill, two placed near the ceilings in each room acting as global fill and one on the floor pointing up being the floor light

for exteriors most people use 1 bounce in gi so a lighting setup that emulates that is fairly simple. A sun light and a dome hemisphere light and perhaps a floor/ground light simulating the bounced light from the ground the new sky automates that and that is why if you use it for an interior scene you will get a blue ambient look, this is due to sky dome light option in the details tab

#44 StCanas

StCanas

This is not me...

• Supporter's Club Silver
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

Is the one you've used on the floor one big Area Light?

Cheers
Karl

#45 paulselhi

paulselhi

"He should be hung" I think he is Your Majesty

• 4,682 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

yup, maybe should have made 2..not sure

#46 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,098 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

you just have to recreate what Gi would do.
simulate the bouncing light of Gi.
so you have to figure out what would be the strength of the light that would bounce off a surface.
then create a light that matches and pointing the direction the light would bounce

i read in the past about the ice age movie that Pixar made and it said they use over 30 lights in 1 scene.
so dont be worried about how many lights you have

Edited by dataflow, 03 April 2009 - 02:03 PM.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users