.c4d - Unknown File Format!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_paulred_*

Guest_paulred_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Hello,

I've been working on a scene in r10 for the past couple of days, but I had some unrelated trouble with a usb stick earlier and had to force a restart. I saved and closed down C4D successfully first. But now when I try and open the file I get a message saying 'Unknown file format!' The file extension (obviously) is .c4d

Is there anything I can do? Might there be previous saves stored somewhere on my hard-drive? The prospect of having to do all this work again makes me want to cave my skull in.

Any ideas appreciated!

#2 Rantin Al

Rantin Al

Hunter of Haggis

• 7,680 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

Chances are that the file is dead and gone unless C4D crashed and saved a rescue file in the bugreports folder.
You could try using File Merge into a new document, but it is seldom successful.
Time to start using the Incremental Save so that you don't lose all your work.

Please update your profile with your C4D version and any modules you have.

Cheers, Alan.

PS, Welcome to the Cafe. :)
PPS, you are sure you are not launching C4D 9 and trying to open the R.10 file?

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

#3 Guest_paulred_*

Guest_paulred_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Alan,

the File Merge isn't playing ball, and I only have the one version of C4D installed.

#4 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,067 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

you could probably send the file to MAXON to see if they can recover the file.
im pretty sure its been done before

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#5 srek

srek
  • 3,666 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Contact MAXON techsupport and send the the file. Some files can be recovered, depending on the kind of damage the recovery might only be partial though.
Cheers
Bjorn

#6 Horganovski

Horganovski

Toon in:Power on:Ease out

• Moderators
  • 9,913 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

A couple of times I've had this error and it has related to particular 3rd party plugins. I was able to fix it by removing the plugin folders to stop them loading, then opening the file and re-saving it, then replacing the plugins back in the plugin folder.

Also, I know this advice is useless right now, but in future it might be good to use Save Incremental a good bit while working so you always have a 'way back' when things go wrong. I save incremental every time I change anything significant in a scene, then when the project is finished I delete the unneeded ones, or even just zip them up and back them up to DVD. My philosophy is that storage for data is cheap, time isn't :)

Cheers,
Brian

#7 Guest_paulred_*

Guest_paulred_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks, yes, I found a few sites that will assess if the file can be recovered, and then charge a fee to do so if possible. However, I've just noticed from the file info that the file is 0 kb. Previously it was over 14mb. So it looks like there's just nothing there. I guess that's that then.

I've discovered the incremental file save now, so at least it wont happen again. I had no idea this could even happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users