Rounding Off Sharp Edges

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alspacka

Alspacka
  • 78 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hey c4dcafe. I've been using Cinema 4D for about 1.5 months now, and recently switched from rougher, gritty organic scenes to modeling real world objects from blueprints

The problem is that a lot of times i'm creating some pretty low poly shapes for simple areas. What i'd love to be able to do is to round off some sharp edges, as seen in the attached image. In the smaller box is what i'd like to achieve, and on the right is a beveled area i'd like to be able to "round off" a bit.

Hypernurbs would result in my model haveing way, way too many polygons, splines aren't as controllable as hand build polygons and doing it manually is slow and tedious. How would i go about getting those slightly rounded corners without jumping through hoops?

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  tank.jpg   29.33KB   243 downloads

#2 Alspacka

Alspacka
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, i've also tried subdividing and adding a phong tag, but it still looks... wrong

#3 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,647 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hypernurbs objects on their own don't physically add any more polygons. They smooth and round an object. You get virtual polygons at render time.

To round the edge you could use a hypernurbs object then sharpen things up with a few knife cuts / loop knif cuts. There's also edge weighting as well.

Without using a hypernurbs object you could bevel the edges i.e. fillet the edge. You can do that with good effect often when using hypernurbs objects as well.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#4 Alspacka

Alspacka
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

I've tried hypernurbs and cuts already, and i end up with round corners instead of just "softened" edges (The square at the front of that bevel i posted would become a rounded rectangle). Edge weighting, i'm not familiar with

It's all very frustrating

Edited by Alspacka, 23 February 2009 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Alspacka

Alspacka
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

edit: loop knife and hypernurbs seems to have done the trick. Thanks, kiwi!

Edited by Alspacka, 23 February 2009 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users