Forums, gallery and free tutorials for Cinema 4D. Registration is fast and free. Please ensure you read our rules before joining.

Best Rigging Software?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FunkyMonkey_*

Guest_FunkyMonkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hey everyone,

Just wondering, whats the easiest program to do rigging in? or ar they all basically the same?

Thanks xFMx

#2 Horganovski

Horganovski

Toon in:Power on:Ease out

• Moderators
  • 9,684 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hi, that's a very broad question really. In some programs like Maya and Max there are 'auto-setup' tools that can help with the process, I've not used them though so not sure how much of the work they do for you. I'd bet that you'd need to do some manual work too though to get things exactly right.

In Cinema we have the option of using Cactus Dans' tools, which while not completely automated, are definitely are a lot faster to setup than the Mocca equivalents in many cases. I'm feeling particularly biased towards them right now as I'm animating with a Mocca rig and Cinema has crashed several times while doing so.. :)
The other thing that bugs me (pun intended) about Mocca is that it's a bit of a crapshoot as to when and if bugs with Character features get fixed. With 10.1 we had broken Spline IK, with 10.5 it's Cloth coliders not working properly and now in R11 motion clips don't loop cleanly without cutting off the last frame of a cycle and they apparently cause significant viewport slowdown. With Dan's plugins bugs tend to get squashed a lot quicker as the rigging tools are top of his priority list, it's a shame but I don't think that's true of MAXON.

Cheers,
Brian

#3 Guest_FunkyMonkey_*

Guest_FunkyMonkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for that.. good explanation of them all.. is Cactus dans tools free?.. if not how much do they cost?

Thanks xFMx

#4 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

MAXON computer GmbH / The Vertex Pusher

• Admin
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Just wondering, whats the easiest program to do rigging in? or ar they all basically the same?

Since you are asking this question you can start to learn rigging in Cinema 4d and I am sure that it will suit all your needs and much more with ease.

And yes,they are all basically the same

vertex-pusher.com - Professional CINEMA 4D Training videos and plugins

#5 Horganovski

Horganovski

Toon in:Power on:Ease out

• Moderators
  • 9,684 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Cactus Dans' tools aren't free, but pretty reasonable imo. You can download them and try them out in a demo version of Cinema to check them out.

Whether you buy the plugins or not, it's worth checking out Dans' rigging tutorials over on C4DPortal, they explain very well the standard rigging concepts that will apply to any 3d program.

Cheers,
Brian

#6 Vozzz

Vozzz

Ze Voz, the one and only

• 3,037 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

yeah i was wondering about this question too, already post on cgtalk, but still no answer.

anyone got any experience with messiah, motionbuilder or character studio?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users