Vray Glass - high transparacy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

Please could someone help me? I've a bathroom scene and I need a glass with high transparency but I can't get the desired result. I get glass with no transparency or either glass that have some transparacy but it looks like a mirror also :O I don't get it what I'm doing wrong, I just need simple glass like it's in window or something. In the attachment are two glasses I used (tinted glass, either second one I think should be transparency, but when I render it it's actually not, I can see only some blurred object behind it and also a mirror image and with tinted class it's a completely mirror :(( ). I tried also to play with the options but I can't get the high transparency to work. Thanks for any advice

I have searched the web for some advice but I can't find anything ... I'm just trying render image again and again with different options but I can get the transparacy glass :(

Attached Files

Edited by LegoIlly, 25 July 2010 - 05:52 AM.

#2 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

I can't turn the mirror image off, I manage to get transparacy glass but the strong image like in a mirror is still there! I don't get it. The example image of it is attached there

Attached Thumbnails

• glass sample.jpg

#3 spedler

spedler
  • 1,069 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

Okay, for glass first turn off the reflection layer, you don't need it, and it's responsible for the mirror reflections you're getting. The specular layer will do all that's necessary for reflections from plain glass. In the specular layer, you should set the highlight and reflection glossiness to at least 0.9, as highlights will be small and sharp. Make sure that trace reflections and trace specular are on. Very importantly, turn 'Use fresnel' on and that the IOR is suitable for glass.

Then turn off the diffuse layer, if that's on the transparency will be reduced. The refraction layer should be on, with the IOR set as in the specular layer. If you want to tint the glass, alter the refraction color.

That's it for a simple glass; all you need are one specular layer and the refraction layer. You can add bump as well and get some really nice dimpled glass effects, for bathrooms and so on. I've attached an example file.

#4 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thank you so much for the quick and useful advice! It's working now, it's clear that I had a big mess while creating a glass material, however now I have not, thanks to you :)

But I have still a problem. It's the same result I have with your attached material either with the material I've created along with your "tutorial". They'is weird mirror image, as you can see in attached file. Maybe it has to do something with the options of Vray rendering?

Attached Thumbnails

• glass_example.jpg

#5 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

Well, I've apllied the material to my original scene, and it looks fine (in the attachment) :) After some adjusts it will be perfect I hope. So I guess there is something messed up with the render settings or something in the test scene, but I don't need it there so we don't have to solve it.
Thank you so much again! http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• koupelna_test_render11.jpg

#6 spedler

spedler
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

Glass should reflect the surroundings, so I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong. If for artistic reasons you decide you don't want the reflections, just turn off 'Trace reflections' in the specular layer, then you should only see specular highlights.

#7 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

Ok, thank you :oops: And is there a way to make the glass behave like a window? I mean if I want to make a window that will be the only source of the light and put the light behind the window (out of the house).

#8 spedler

spedler
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

Create a rectangular area light and put it outside the window; make the light invisible if you want to see a background outside the window.

#9 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

Thank you so much http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif One more question, when I turn on the invisibility of the window (so its invisible), than my window is black =/ And I have no idea why, I have a simple sky outside.
When it's visible behind the window I can see grey (thats normal I suppose).

#10 spedler

spedler
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

It's getting difficult to say without access to the scene file, but when you say you have a 'simple sky' as a background, do you mean the C4D sky object? If so, Vray doesn't support that object, and it'll render black, which may be what you're seeing when the light is invisible. You need to place backgrounds in the Vray bridge environment tab, or use a light with the physical sky turned on, or use a plane with a bitmap or procedural texture on it as a background.

It's probably best to think of Vray as how a camera would behave. With a camera, if you take a picture of a lighted room when there's no light outside, what you would see through the window is just darkness. So if you see that with Vray, it's because there is no exterior light (other than the area light which simulates a lighted window and will usually look grey or white depending on the intensity).

If you're having problems getting Vray to behave (and I'm no expert) you could also try the Vray for C4D forums at http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/.

#11 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

Thank you again, that was well explained :)
Yes, it was a sky object, I see, the sky it's actually a light so it needs to by also Vray

Well, I tried to have the effect of a window outside and some lights inside, I'm messing with it like 2 days and here is what I got:
(The first attachment, except the mirror in the front has bad material, I've fixed that already)
It's not good but I'm glad that I can at least see something there
I have here 4 normal lights inside and 1 infinite light to produce the light outside (through the window - the background), you can see that in included c4d file, but with just base objects because it has 11MB so I have to resize it by deleting some objects. Just if you have some time or wanna take a look :)

I just don't understand the problem with the tiles on the right in the shower. All the tiles in the scene have the same resolution texture, but on the right, they are too big, like there is something that is making them bigger... Why is that I have no idea

Attached Thumbnails

• koupelna_test_render23.jpg

Edited by LegoIlly, 28 July 2010 - 04:33 AM.

#12 Guest_LegoIlly_*

Guest_LegoIlly_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

Well I found out. It was two texture on one object, respectively one was on the group and different on the object so... that was causing that mess

Anyway I'm still getting I think little unrealistic lights:

Attached Thumbnails

• FINAL_pohled2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users