How to create this metal texture?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

I am trying to recreate some metal texture some where between these two samples, and it has to be photorealistic. I have been playing around with the lighting, specular and noise but I can't seem to get this look. Any advice?

Thanks,
Steve

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,706 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

If you're up few a few bucks I would highly recommend the shaders by Cafe member maat here.

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#3 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

Thanks. I will look into those.

How do you create oxidation like you see in this shovel? I have read some tutorials on creating textures, not specific to c4d, and from what I read I would think that it would be a texture that would be added to the specular channel, but in c4d you can't add a texture in the spec channel?
Thanks,
Steve

#4 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,074 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

try the "WORKING WITH PROCEDURALS" tut on following site

http://www.3dluvr.com/carles/resources.htm

and what you mentioned about the specular that would be the "specular color" channel

Edited by dataflow, 11 December 2010 - 02:56 PM.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#5 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thanks, I will check it out

#6 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

I bought those metal textures and also checked out that post and I can't seem to recreate that texture. What may look good on a bolt does not look good on my object with my lighting. If any one could help me before monday I would be willing to pay for your time.

Thanks,
Steve

#7 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

Post what you have so far? As you've experienced, textures look a fair bit different on the actual object than on a primitive.

After that - ensure you have enough lights (and they are not all set to white)

Then - layers. Lots of layers.

Layers in the material - bump map, diffusion, etc.
Then layers of material - Alpha a layer or two

Edited by deepshade, 11 December 2010 - 08:54 PM.

#8 mmVRay

mmVRay
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

The Noctua Metal Shaders will do the job. He has a set of 180 metal shaders. Texture maped or procedural shaders. They are great if you don't want the shiney new look. NOCTUA

Here is a render of the steel and iron procedural shaders. I also own the Texturemaat shaders together with these you have a lot of choices.

Edited by mmVRay, 11 December 2010 - 10:02 PM.

Cheers, mmVRay

#9 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

So here is my scene. I have 3 different metal textures I was playing with but I just can't get a realistic looking metal material like the sample above. I know that the lighting can totally change the way the metal looks as well. Basically I have to drop this into an image that is 8.5 x 11, in the bottom left corner. I don't have to match any lighting and the background is going to be a very dark brown, almost black. And I will be compositing in some flames underneath the trident. So the lighting just really needs to show off the trident. I want it to look used with out looking dirty or old. So if anyone could please help with this it would be greatly appreciated. Please do not share this model.

Thanks,
Steve

#10 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:18 AM

Play with the alpha value for more obvious grime in the overlay.
Difficult getting used, but not dirty

I'm not sure how much 'shine' you want on it
and again - lighting (or placement of lights) makes a huge difference
I suspect that any flames nearby would add more light than the orange underlight you have in your scene

Anyhow - something here may get you on your way

PS - why use GI?
[attachment=101561:metal test4h.c4d]
[attachment=101562:Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 19.56.52.png]

edit: Another revision - probably all from me. The wood could do with working on (its from the default preset) - but out of time today.

Edited by deepshade, 12 December 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#11 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,304 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Nice patina, deepshade.
I may not be good but I'm slow.

#12 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Looking forward to seeing the finished article

#13 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

@sxpeters

you need to update your sig

That texture file was an r12 file.

And I would suggest looking at the updated metal texture above - its been changed since it was originally posted.

Edited by deepshade, 12 December 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#14 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Worth the effort?

#15 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

I forgot about that, I have updated my profile. Thanks so much for all of your help. I am trying to play around with the latest material. To me there is something that is making it look a little cartoony and flat and I am trying to figure out if it is the lighting, specular or reflection? The metal of that shovel just seems to have more depth. I am trying to get a little bit more or a specular highlight, but at the same time break up the highlight so that it's not to smooth and perfect? Also, I am going to need to go in and bang up the ends of the points and put in some scratches and dings here and there. I am thinking of doing this in BP since I want this to happen in specific places. I am assuming for the ends I need to do this in the displacement channel?

Deepshade, thanks again for all of your help. This is one of the most helpfull forums.
Thanks,
Steve

PS: If I wanted to turn that wood into a darker wood, like this sample, would I just do that in PS?

Edited by sxpeters, 13 December 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#16 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

It is down to lighting, environment and the the odd unique mark that makes textures look real. Metal can so easily look like tin foil if the spec and reflections are pushed too hard. It all takes time - and that trident was just a starting point - also didn't want to change your lighting - glad it helped.
As for the wood - depends on what you are using. Sure you can just change the hue is PS (small preview - looks like leather to me!). Take a look at base80's procedural wood texture for another great collection
http://www.base80.com/index.php/2005/08/15/banzi_wood

bfn

PS - Thanks for the feedback, it makes a difference. It's what the community here is all about, whether the advice solves your problem or not- there are a lot of helpful people here, and they get a bit despondent when some users just download and run. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Edited by deepshade, 13 December 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#17 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

I have seen some metal materials that use Lumas in the color channel with anistropy. I played around with that in this image, but this is not exactly what I am after.

As far as environment, since this is not going into a real background and am not sure what or if I would use one. I have been playing around with the lighting but I am not getting that depth to the metal that I am looking for. I don't want it to reflective or specular, but I feel like when you lose those things the metal just has no life?

Thanks,
Steve

#18 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

If i want to have some nicks in the metal, will I need to do that in a displacement channel, would I need to use sub poly disp?

#19 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

you could do it with another bump
and or sub poly displacement (displacement isnt for small details)
also try changing the alpha mix in the rust overlay to bring out the dents

as for depth - It needs a greater range of light and environment
You'll certainly have to brighten it up a bit if you want it more like the knights helmet. It ca be done - jst takes time. Look, look again, work out what's missing.
You could try a hdri /sky combination with a composite tag - ie not seen by camera to give it something with oomph to reflect.
In the real work - it would have more than a black room and 3 small lights lo reflect.

#20 sxpeters

sxpeters
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

I am trying to add multiple materials, like deepshade did, but when I create a new material, and just have a bump channel, then drag that on my object it just turns black? What am I missing?

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users