#1 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,016 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image

Hi everyone. I've been working on a review of Nitroman's excellent Animidi plugin over the last couple of months and I'm very happy to present it to you. It's taken longer than I ever expected as I had lots of questions and suggestions for Nitroman. I thought it better to wait for a few improvements and bug fixes to the plugin before finishing my review.

What the plugin does, is it allows you to use a midi (music file) to drive animation in Cinema 4D. If you've ever seen the superb Animusic videos then you'll know what it's all about.

The review consists of some written sections and animations. But instead of writing heaps I have produced 7 tutorial videos totalling 104 minutes on how to use the plugin. These videos should jump start you to making animations using the plugin. At 20 Eur (approx US $28) the plugin is fantastic value for what it does.

You can get to the Animidi plugin review from the Cafe's review section. You do not need to be a cafe member to download any of the video tutorials or example animations.

Enjoy http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    Follow me on Strava

#2 imonkey

imonkey

Some call me Matt...

• 731 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

Nice work 3DKiwi! Is it just me. or do the sample clips not work?

edit: Hmm. I've never had a problem before. They're working in firefox but not safari.

Edited by imonkey, 16 May 2011 - 12:27 AM.

#3 digitvisions

digitvisions
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 333 posts
  • C4D Version:11.5 (or older)

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Nice work 3DKiwi! Is it just me. or do the sample clips not work?

It works for me.

#4 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,016 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:18 AM

The h.264 codec is required to play the videos and animations.

3DKiwi

#5 SimonTheSorcerer

SimonTheSorcerer

Pondering what you're pondering

• 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Thank you very much for not only the review but the elaborate tutorials that accompany it. It is a very powerful plugin, and I'm sure if users are interested in it, it will have an even brighter future.

Edited by SimonTheSorcerer, 16 May 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#6 rui

rui
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:53 AM

Good news :oops:

Rui

#7 Occultcg

Occultcg
  • 904 posts
  • C4D Version:12 Studio

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Very nice plugin and very nice review, thank you !
Imagination is the only limit of creativity.

#8 ahven

ahven

3D Artist & Animator

• 957 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

CG Gods have heard my wishes. I am a huge fan of Animusic ! :)

Edited by ahven, 22 May 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#9 kaveman

kaveman
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the review, explains the plugin splendidly. i have only one problem. I have a mac, i create midi files with ableton live but it doesn't recognize it. Do you know a mac program for creating midi files like the one you recommended?

#10 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,016 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

Do you know a mac program for creating midi files like the one you recommended?

Glad you liked the review. In fact I had problems as well creating midi files from scratch that Animidi would recognise. What I did was load a midi file that worked into Anvil Studio and in the preferences enabled "Create new file with existing file settings". That of course is a PC program but you should check to see whether what you are using has a similar option. I then composed a tune or created a scale of notes. Saved it and it then worked fine in the Animidi plugin.

To answer the question directly. No I don't know of a Mac program.

3DKiwi

#11 kaveman

kaveman
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

nitroman adviced musescore. it works but only when you save your midi file in a certain way. I can't figure it out which way. bummer. I open a toppic for this beacause i can't ad the midi files as examples which work and which don't...

#12 granierb

granierb
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

hey guys, would you now why i have access forbidden when i try to access the review?

thanks...
Like I always say, there's no "I" in team. There's a "me" though, if you jumble it up.

#13 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,016 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

hey guys, would you now why i have access forbidden when i try to access the review?

thanks...

China is blocked from downloading files from the cafe's storage site. Unfortunately people from China have been direct downloading and direct linking from Chinese forums to our tutorials. i.e. not being a cafe member.

Regards
3DKiwi

#14 ahven

ahven

3D Artist & Animator

• 957 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

Some member asked me about this plugin. So what it is and what it does not do.

I just wanted to make a short info what is the basic consept behind Animidi plugin.
The 3DKiwi's introduction IMHO is perhaps a bit short to explain how the plugin
works from user perspective.

What it is: This is a plugin that reads MIDI data into cinema 4d and you can use MIDI data to affect and animate
your objects inside Cinema 4D with inputted midi notes and keyboard velocity. Midi data is used to automatize the
animation process and midi notes are then converted into keyframes. So you donĀ“t really have to worry about animation process
just the creativity part to make interesting apparatus and music playing machines just like those in Animusic video.

I the simplest form you are able to use the data example with object scale, position and rotation.
You can change color, light etc. Use it with Mograph and thinking particles to emit particles and so on.
If you go deeper then you can affect your characters to dance and react to the music.

It is not: It is not a plugin that reads data from midi control surfaces for example from your midi keyboard or midi control devices/sliders
and is not a plugin that allows you to use some external DAW such as Ableton Live to get midi data into Cinema 4D.
So all midi data should be either downloaded from the web or if you are musical talent then you can compose your own songs.

I hope this clears many questions. Thanks. [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/sc018.gif[/img]
ps: all respects go to Nitroman.

Edited by ahven, 02 June 2011 - 06:06 AM.

#15 Horganovski

Horganovski

Toon in:Power on:Ease out

• Moderators
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Finally got time to sit down and check out the videos properly, very cool Nigel it gave me a good start for having some fun with Animidi.

Here are a few tests I put together while playing around with it. I'm also trying to learn Composite (formerly Toxic) at the moment, a node-based compositor that came 'free' with my license of Maya, so I had some fun layering different image sequences together with different blending modes to see what I could come up with. The 1st video uses Maya fluids as a mask over the Cinema render, the 2nd and 3rd ones use the same idea, but this time I made the 'star' sequence using the Enhance C4D plugin with some of the parameters driven by Animidi. (I just used PSR tags on some cubes and hooked the rest up using Xpresso and Rangemappers. The music is a little sequence I programmed in Cubase and then exported as Midi for Animidi to work with (I just used the default settings in Cubase and it worked fine).

Animidi Doodle 1

Animidi Doodle 2

Animidi Doodle 3

Cheers,
Brian

#16 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,016 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi Brian

Very cool. These would look good projected on to wall or ceiling while a band was playing.

Nigel

#17 kaveman

kaveman
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

inspiring brian, thanks!

#18 Horganovski

Horganovski

• Moderators
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Many thanks guys, it's lots of fun to play around with, I reckon you can really let your inner 'mad professor' run loose:).

For the grey blocks in the center (most visible in video 2) I have a Mograph Random Effector with a spherical falloff lifting the cubes up to make a hill, then I hooked up the X position of one of the notes to the effector falloff scale so that it scales up and down as that note plays. Here's an example of what it looks like in the viewport.I switched off some of the other cloners to make the scene play back a bit quicker.

Cheers,
Brian

#19 Horganovski

Horganovski

• Moderators
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

Aha.. figured out how to get the masks working properly in Composite! (This is compositing 101 and all the AE guys here are probably laughing, but it's brand new territory for me so I have to start somewhere : )

A couple of very simple examples, I think I can build on this in time hopefully.
These are using the same footage as my tests last night but a lot clearer now with the masks set up correctly. I also added in simple static 'c4d' mask for the 2nd one.

[attachment=107829:BlockWStarMask.mov]
[attachment=107830:C4DMask.mov]

Cheers,
Brian

#20 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,016 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

I like the second one. Cool.