Hi everyone. Time to get back into some no time limit challenges. We'll do the speed modelling challenges again soon. For this challenge we want you to model and texture a Sky Tower. This can be an actual Sky Tower or you can go Sci Fi and do something abstract. What we don't really want is tall buildings. It has to look more like a tower than a building. Judging will be mainly on modelling and overall visual appeal.
For a background you can use the built in Sky object and either use a sky preset or create your own sky. What you can't do is composite your tower into a photograph. If you really want to you can model other objects to form part of your scene.
The top 3 images will receive a Challenge award ribbon and also have their images featured in the Gallery.
Now the rules:
Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.
1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, July 15 2011.
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like to do the lighting, modelling and texturing.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes. You can use imported light setups if you want e.g. the lighting setup from the Cafe's download section (which is used in the image above). Sketch & Toons renders are fine.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. PhotoShop post work is not permitted. It has to be modelled and rendered in C4D or using a C4D renderer like Vray etc. But you can use imported texture maps, bump maps or displacement maps created in a 2D paint program or vector drawing program. Re Displacement Maps. You can create a displacement map in Photoshop for example but creating one in a 3D(ish) type program is not acceptable. This is a C4D modelling and texturing challenge not C4D and Z-Brush or whatever else you can do sculpting in.
8. At least one WIP image in wireframe and a solid render are required as a reply to this thread. The wireframe render should be done as a Cel render. Check out our cel rendering tutorial here if you don't know how to do one. Please keep the Cel renders as Black lines on White background.
9. Up to 3 images may be submitted for your final entry. We want a maximum of 2 textured renders and one plain white render cel render. In the Cel rendered image, HyperNurbs objects must be disabled. We want to see the polygon construction.
10. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
11. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.
12. Maximum image size is 1280x1024 and 400kb. Submit only jpeg images.
13. No compositing objects into photographs / background images. Everything in the scene has to be modelled by you. You can however use texture maps on your objects e.g. bricks
Good luck and have fun.