Maxon Announces R13

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
377 replies to this topic

#21 RickBarrett

RickBarrett
  • 51 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:04 AM

Dumb question, but I would assume that I am still eligible to renew my R12 MSA after they have announced the next version?

NOTE TO THOSE WITHOUT THE MSA: the move away from 0.5 releases may not bode well for those looking to upgrade WITHOUT an MSA. Remember that MAXON would always charge more for a 0.5 to full point release than for a full point to 0.5 release. I can only imagine what the pricing will therefore be for an R12 to R13 release. Therefore, if you have R12, I would STRONGLY recommend that you get the MSA. If you don't have R12....my heart goes out to you.

Yes, you're eligible to renew your MSA until Release 13 begins shipping. As you suspect, the MSA offers significant savings in relation to the upgrade pricing. For those who don't have R12 or the MSA, MAXON is running a special this month that can help you get on the program.

#22 srek

srek
  • 3,671 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:06 AM

Q: Is there a better explanation of the "template' and *does this mean more complex 'auto' systems will come in the future as 'templates'
rather than seeing this all change again, with a new set of tools in the next version

The template system can be used with basicaly all other avilable CINEMA 4D functions. It is not actualy limited to characters, you could create a template rig that allows a user to easily create streets, plants or many other things. There realy went a lot of work into this system and i can't see it beeing superceeded by any other system in the foreseeable future.
Cheers
Bjorn

#23 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

MAXON computer GmbH / The Vertex Pusher

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

This seems like a great upgrade and finally I can congratulate you guys for brilliant work, however I am concerned about the pricing a bit. Will the non MSA upgrade price be "two version" charge?

I am not really fond of MSA but will jump that train if "someone" gives me a slight hint.

Cheers

vertex-pusher.com - Professional CINEMA 4D Training videos and plugins

#24 sfBlackFox

sfBlackFox

I were to understand there be pie & punch?

• 2,395 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

... I know what I want for christmas!!!
------------- Cheers, Hans.

#25 morpheus

morpheus

C4D GOD....'s illiterate cousin!

• 6,196 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

Me too HSrdelic.
I just checked out the price on the MSA. It would cost me around £500. The upgrade from Rel 11 studio to Rel 12 studio was over £1000. If that's anything to go by then it's a good deal.
I guess we have until the end of the month to decide. Gonna keep an eye out on the options until then I think.

Morph

#26 RickBarrett

RickBarrett
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

I am not really fond of MSA but will jump that train if "someone" gives me a slight hint.

Your best bet is to contact your local distributor, as prices vary a bit from region to region.

In general though, the MSA offers significant savings.

#27 Neil V

Neil V

Virtual worldmaker

• 992 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:21 AM

I'd like to see HSrdelic's list of predictions before the announcement was made. Otherwise, I might have the impression he is errrrr.... 'exaggerating'.

You didn't predict it would be called R13.

http://www.envy-studio.co.uk/#products - professional training and assets for Cinema 4D

#28 whthawk

whthawk
  • 1,863 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:22 AM

Oh man! No more .5 releases? Bummer. Behind again. That said I would love to see my old robot spider connected to that rig! I guess I will have to see what I can do to get my MSA up and running.

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/gallery/image/9519-3rd-equal-place-whthawk/

PS: I have no idea why the image tag is not working.

Edited by 3DKiwi, 01 August 2011 - 10:35 AM.
Remote image linking not permitted.

#29 pgoski

pgoski
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

This image is straight out of CINEMA. Heavy use of new SSS, DoF (obviously), everything has a blurry reflection, auto rigger was used to rig the character (creating the rig = 10-15 min, weighting = 2 hours (auto weighting is better but I still prefer custom weights...but thank god I didn't need to spend a bajillion hours building something just so I could have this.))

In production I would still go for DoF in post as there is just way more control...but this was just to sexy to not do.

Attached Thumbnails

• haunted_arcade.jpg

#30 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

@NeilV

There was no list at all. I knew what will be in this release ;)

@SKP

Yep, did not know they will skip 0.5 release

@RickBarrett

I did contact him - They have no clue that R13 was announced at all. Other problem is that for some reason they cant offer me MSA.
Biggest problem here is that they virtually have no freedom to make decisions, everything has to go trough long "chain of command".

Cheers

#31 Neil V

Neil V

Virtual worldmaker

• 992 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:38 AM

Really......? I'm amazed.

@NeilV

There was no list at all. I knew what will be in this release ;)

Edited by Neil V, 01 August 2011 - 05:39 AM.

http://www.envy-studio.co.uk/#products - professional training and assets for Cinema 4D

#32 3D-Pangel

3D-Pangel

Custodian of the (now defunct) 3D World Database

• Supporter's Club Silver
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

Yes, you're eligible to renew your MSA until Release 13 begins shipping. As you suspect, the MSA offers significant savings in relation to the upgrade pricing. For those who don't have R12 or the MSA, MAXON is running a special this month that can help you get on the program.

Thank you --- that's a relief.

Relative to the collision deformer - can it work with dynamics? By this, I don't mean soft-body dynamics, but rather hard body in that the first few frames after contact of two objects in motion, the deformation is created and then after that, rigid body dynamics applies (e.g. no more deformations unless the object comes into contact with something else).

Hoping this is possible as the description makes it sound like all it would be good for is making footprints in the snow. Given all the volume breaking plugins out there (most from Nitroman), I am hoping that you can get more realistic destruction with objects bending, twisting and/or deforming before shattering or when the shattered objects hit something else. The world is not made out of ceramic - but so far, that is about the only look you get.

3D-Pangel

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

#33 shawnfoster

shawnfoster

3D Developer

• 1,966 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

Did you actaully publish these predictions? I'd love to see what they were before this announcement.

I can vouch for Hrvoje's predictions. He has been saying these things behind the scenes on instant messenger for quite a while now. :) Interesting update. A lot of cool new workflow items and the renderer looks very cool. :)

~Shawn
| Shawn Foster | Check out My YouTube Channel

#34 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:44 AM

I am watching Nigel's videos - finally general workflow enhancements, that is excellent addition. Seems they hired someone to point them out where are the bottlenecks in workflow, which can be easily updated :)

Cheers

#35 Neil V

Neil V

Virtual worldmaker

• 992 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

Do yuo need to watch the videos if you knew all about this in advance?

I am watching Nigel's videos - finally general workflow enhancements, that is excellent addition. Seems they hired someone to point them out where are the bottlenecks in workflow, which can be easily updated :)

Cheers

#36 intaglio

intaglio
  • 87 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

New xrefs! :)

#37 3D-Pangel

3D-Pangel

Custodian of the (now defunct) 3D World Database

• Supporter's Club Silver
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:52 AM

No improvement in TP
No new modeling tools
Have any of the 'old' deformers been updated ie had essentials like falloff added ?
Did the seriously bad Boole object get an overhall
Pyrocluster - you can't be serious that this is still the only way to make smoke and flames as part of a flagship product and hasn't changed since 2001 (can't do flames and everything suffers from being rendered in virtual balls, cylinders etc) that's just embarrassing!

The rest looks like pluses to me.

Interesting to see how the cost pans out - imagine it will be kill or cure for many v11 users

Agreed....also, the whole material/shader system was left untouched with the exception of the new SSS shader. Was hoping for shader trees and/or an updated to how layered shaders are created (fusion and layered shader is good, but still rather non-intuitive for those that don't use Photoshop).

Relative to modeling tools - well, we are seeing "some" movement on that front - so it is not a total loss. But I do agree that we need better boolean tools (always a tough tool to code correctly). Also is it too much to ask for better fillet and bevels? Or a shell tool (create a shell of any solid object).

Finally - my hope is that Cebas and Cinema 4D mend their relationship and fall back into a meaningful partnership. We could really use updates to Thinking Particles and Pyrocluster. Not sure how this old code is going to work with the new core as time moves on, but my guess is that it won't be pretty. As some point, they either partner with Cebas to revamp these tools or drop them all together. In an age where Softimage has Lagoa built in and ICE, then C4D needs to keep up.

3D-Pangel

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

#38 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

@NeilV

I knew that they are working on "Physical" thingy and CA tools. I did not know the specifics, but that is not really important.
It is not difficult to extrapolate based on previous releases at all, and my suspicions were simply confirmed when I saw new version in action.
Funny thing is that on one topic on cgtalk were another person simply told what will be in next release went unnoticed :)

R13 looks great - I'll get it as soon as it comes out. Cinema is going in really good direction, and development being made leaves no doubt in my mind which 3D application will stay my weapon of choice for a long time ;)

Cheers

Edited by HSrdelic, 01 August 2011 - 05:56 AM.

#39 deepshade

deepshade

deepshade

• 1,204 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

The template system can be used with basicaly all other avilable CINEMA 4D functions. It is not actualy limited to characters, you could create a template rig that allows a user to easily create streets, plants or many other things. There realy went a lot of work into this system and i can't see it beeing superceeded by any other system in the foreseeable future.
Cheers
Bjorn

Sounds like a solid foundation - always a plus! Ta for feedback

#40 Keign

Keign
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:59 AM

Cheers

I think we've all bought enough of your tutorials to finance the measly MSA, Hrvoje! Just buy it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users