237 replies to this topic

#221 cerbera

cerbera

Intergalactic Quad Police

• 1,129 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

CBR

Edited by cerbera, 02 September 2011 - 09:02 AM.

Luminetrics.net - making pixels extra shiny. Some Ngons remaining.

#222 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

that is amazing Cerbera, did you use pyrocluster to create the clouds? wowser :P

#223 turbotoes

turbotoes
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hi all, Not finished but had to submit entry as I have no more time

Regards Spike (turbotoes) [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/sc018.gif[/img]

Attached Thumbnails

• Space Fighter Upload .jpg
  • cel 01.jpg
  • Space Fighter Upload 02.jpg

TURBOTOES

#224 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

titchchris; the colors, letters and font, plus the, well, what looks like a quasar or an exploding star kinda looks like the evil eye in Lotr, and the design too,,I bet if I could read it it would say,, UMS Saruman, united Mordor ship [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

and talking about scary 'eyes'.. one of the scariest things in the universe is actually one of those columns going through an exploding star, like in your pic,, it's a socalled gammaburst. If it were to go off in the earth's direction it would kill everything within seconds, and it could happen at any time really,, the whole place is full of them! so let's hope it doesn't spot us... and yeah, Im a bit of a nerd,, *lol

#225 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

That is amazing Cerbera, did you use pyrocluster to create the clouds? wowser :P

Thank you, but no pyrofun for me - I just opened my window shutter on a plane as the sun rose, annoying all 78 people in my cabin on the way to Australia, and snapped away at the coolness going on outside until they summoned air stewards to make me close it. i remember getting quite cross [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

I could do with some advice actually, as deadline approaches. Here's another one along the same lines. I've matched the lighting as closely as I can - is there anything else I can do that would help me better match plane to BG (can't add spaceship shadow onto clouds, as it doesn't fall within shot on either version). Yet they still don't look quite right, and I can't post process for the comp.

Also just can't decide which pics to enter on the finals thread. I've got 2 space ones (planet & deep space), 2 very different hangars, and the cloud ones, making about 15 shots in total, and I can only enter 2. All advice appreciated !! Or is it all irrelevant because it's a mostly a modelling challenge ?

CBR

Edited by cerbera, 02 September 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#226 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

What do you mean by 'decals'?

I mean the technique where instead of UVing the whole ship, you use multiple simple textures (all need alpha maps, obviously) in flat projection mode and align / project them over various parts of the ship. useful in cases like mine where the main body is not one piece.

... and yeah, Im a bit of a nerd,, *lol

You are so in the right place ;)

CBR

Edited by cerbera, 02 September 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#227 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Cerbera - I would tone down the blue glowing lights. In daylight they wouldn't be quite so bright. Are you using AO? If not then I would suggest experimenting adding it.

Stunning work by the way http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#228 SuperVee

SuperVee
  • 289 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Wow, all of you. Fantastic stuff going on here. WTG [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/sc018.gif[/img]

#229 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Bit more detail, and more hangar improvements.

And a new render of the clouds one with less blue lights (and more ships) - you're quite right, 3DKiwi...also turned up AO contrast...

Think I got the lighting as good as I can now...

I 'think' these are my finals...

CBR

Edited by cerbera, 02 September 2011 - 04:34 PM.

#230 Tralfaz

Tralfaz
  • 354 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Gorgeous design and renders CBR!

Al
When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her they cost me...

#231 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

goddammit, you've broken my lovely shiny ship [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

But thank you - it's not often in these competitions that competing people try and improve rivals images. All my non 3-d friends think it's weird enough taht we all sit here advising each other. Which is why I like it - I've learned loads from being in these...

Now you are wrong about the white. It is 'future white', which might be because it's special plasticised carbon fibre, and contains a surfectant that repels all debris and staining. Or it might be that the ship itself emits a constant force-field around itself, (phase synced to the laser canons, so that's all fine) meaning no dirt ever touches it, and it remains shiny shiny all the time. You choose ;) I think I like the shininess because i spent so long trying to make it reflect the clouds in the BG image, but only on the lower half, so it's in the enviroment map of the panel material layered and masked up with a gradient built from the sky at the top of the photo. That hasn't really worked, if I'm honest, but I think it should have done, and what I have got is 'passable'
, i figure...

And the blue/grey skylight I went with was built out of the actual colours in the photo, so I thought that would be most accurate...

Do like what you've done with some highlights though.

And you have diffused the shadows nicely, but I think that might just work against it, as I was trying to get interesting, sharp variations between bits that were sunlit, and those in shadow.

Am I going to have to go and fight off 6 multicoloured alien balls now ?

CBR

Edited by cerbera, 02 September 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#232 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Gorgeous design and renders CBR!
Al

Cheers - Yours is quite a wonder to behold, so much detail, such lovely lighting...

god knows how they're gonna judge all these...

CBR

#233 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

hahah,, yeah,, I think all input is good, as long as it doesn't evolve into,, hmm,, alien balls maybe,, there's were I'd draw the line... I think,,, hm :)

but like you said,, it's very much a personal taste thingie, I sorta felt it looked a bit white in regards to other stuff too (here it comes),, *lol,, like atmosphere and haze etc, and being a plasticky, pure white coat reflecting the darker sky above, being so high up and all,,altitude you know...... heheh

but by all means,, it's a wonderful render and I hope you didn't mind me messing with it, after all you helped me with my work,, so,, it's probably a start of a wonderful sharing collaboration... (...)
just kidding :)

congrats on the pic, and I wouldn't be surprised if you win,,

#234 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

congrats on the pic, and I wouldn't be surprised if you win,,

oh, that's jinxed it :)

If I am so convinced I'm not going to do any more on this, why I am i still up at 4 am ? It's almost like I can't go to bed until it's closed. :)

Jay

#235 smokey

smokey
  • 100 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Here's my wire frame, and final.
Great work everyone!
Cheers! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Space Fighter_Aug_19_2023_WIRE.jpg
  • Space Fighter_Aug_19_2023b.jpg

#236 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:50 AM

Nuts - have run out of time. This was as far as I got on my back-up plan before I fell asleep. Was trying to do a properly evil-style alien thing from the far future. probably just as well - I have no idea how to weaponise it ;)

Right, back to normal life til next challenge...

Good luck peoples...

CBR

#237 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

nice ship smokey, makes me think of Babylon 5, the sci fi show,, I dunno why:)

and I wonder how these entries are to be reviewed and evaluated,, design, style, concept, modeling etc,, it's probably a mix, but wow, so many amazing models, I don't envy the judges,

Edited by Karen, 03 September 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#238 Guest_titchchris_*

Guest_titchchris_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

Im glad you liked the colours Karen, the entire style of the ship and the background were intended to be alien and powerful. And im a nerd too, so i found that gamma burst info very cool ;)

Cerbera those are incredible renders, im a bit of a noob and seeing those have really given me something to aim for :)

Good luck everyone who entered, this is the first challenge ive done, but it definitely seems like the standard of it is REALLY high!

Chris x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users