237 replies to this topic

#41 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,345 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

So by "fighter" does it require that it's function is to serve as a versatile all around combat oriented spaceship? Because my idea leans towards a vessel with a specialized purpose in the battlefield, geared towards artillery support. Does this qualify?

Our expectation is it's some form of space vehicle geared towards dog fighting.

Some excellent work already folks. Well done.

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    Follow me on Strava

#42 Tralfaz

Tralfaz
  • 348 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Great jobs everyone.

Just a little update. Still blocking in the major detail parts. Will work on the minor parts later. I've been watching Nigel's Discovering Bodypaint DVD in between working on the model. If you don't have it yet, I would highly recommend it. Really helps to take the mystery out of using Bodypaint 3D. I never realized how much you can do with Bodypaint. Excellent work Nigel!

Al
When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her they cost me...

#43 cerbera

cerbera

Intergalactic Quad Police

• 1,125 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

Righty - I've been on the details trail, and have added some more. Feels about 50% done on the modelling (there's a whole undercarriage and landing gear to go), and nothing's textured yet, though bits of lighting are beginning to creep in. Have been exploring unusual, and the usual angles [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Have also added more weaponry, but get the feeling you can never have enough, and I still don't.

Please xcuse the horrible booleans I've used in a few places. Whilst I hate the geometry it creates I can't help but marvel at the lack of artifcating in the final render, so they might as well stay - hopefully there is 'proper' modelling on show in other parts !

And now with some (slightly) different lighting and light strips in the wings...

Edited by cerbera, 17 August 2011 - 01:32 AM.

Luminetrics.net - making pixels extra shiny. Some Ngons remaining.

#44 vikramsk

vikramsk
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:19 AM

Modelling star ship enterprise.

Attached Thumbnails

• starship_new.jpg

#45 ahven

ahven

3D Artist & Animator

• 963 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

I would model if I had just time...
When this started?

I am very happy because I
was just hired a week ago as fulltime 3d artist
with now also a first real customer project at hand so
have not much time lately for checking out cafe.

Still keeping up with your great spaceship modelings.
Great design and modeling Bigbot [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/sc018.gif[/img]

Edited by ahven, 17 August 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#46 poodles

poodles
  • 824 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:21 AM

I got a bit over excited - this I think is not just a WIP, but probably a fairly finished pic! (hope thats ok), although, of course, inspiration may also take over, and changes may occur!
Some of my work..... http://www.electricpalette.co.uk

#47 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,125 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:54 AM

Yes, I've booked mine into the hangar to get upgraded, re-panelled, retro-fitted, and a paint job. The cel is one I thought I'd better put up from my 'builder' null because the rules want hypernurbs disabled, but they are editable meshes now (see allowing more details to be added), so it'll be impossible to turn off in the final cel.

Can't decide on how to get more detail into the smooth cockpit areas and intake hoods without losing the nice shiny painted metal finish sort of look - I'm imagining this is its Maiden voyage, and it hasn't been out the hangar yet, so am going for 'pristine' rather than 'weathered'. In the 3rd pic above I am trying a simple bump map, though am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it looks a bit rubbish, certainly not better just the smooth white, and just adds 'unconvincing' detail for the sake of it, which is not what I want. I want subtle, convincing detail. Or maybe I just need a better bump map - this one is very low res at 500px square...

So how else to get the detail in there. I want to make the main body of the fighter at least as detailed as its blasters. Am very much open to suggestions!

Cheers people

Jay

Edited by cerbera, 18 August 2011 - 05:55 AM.

#48 vikramsk

vikramsk
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

My second entry.

Attached Thumbnails

• starwars2.jpg

#49 darthgus

darthgus
  • 18 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

A couple of work in progress shots of my space fighter... its shape is evolving.

space_fighter_wip_01_by_deviantgus-d46zf2z.jpg space_fighter_wip_02_by_deviantgus-d46zfbr.jpg

#50 shawnfoster

shawnfoster

3D Developer

• 1,966 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Here's the start of my entry. Still a WIP.

~Shawn
| Shawn Foster | Check out My YouTube Channel

#51 rui

rui
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

Amazing work guys ... :)

Rui

#52 shawnfoster

shawnfoster

3D Developer

• 1,966 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

Here's an update.. Made some modifications.
| Shawn Foster | Check out My YouTube Channel

#53 Bigbot

Bigbot

Bigbot4D

• Supporter's Club Silver
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

Some Great work so far. Cerbera Great Job! Loving the design and renders.

So here is my update so far. Still have much to do. But i think its coming along.
Norm_BIGBOT4D

#54 Guest_Relayer_*

Guest_Relayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:39 AM

Yes, I've booked mine into the hangar to get upgraded, re-panelled, retro-fitted, and a paint job. The cel is one I thought I'd better put up from my 'builder' null because the rules want hypernurbs disabled, but they are editable meshes now (see allowing more details to be added), so it'll be impossible to turn off in the final cel.

Can't decide on how to get more detail into the smooth cockpit areas and intake hoods without losing the nice shiny painted metal finish sort of look - I'm imagining this is its Maiden voyage, and it hasn't been out the hangar yet, so am going for 'pristine' rather than 'weathered'. In the 3rd pic above I am trying a simple bump map, though am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it looks a bit rubbish, certainly not better just the smooth white, and just adds 'unconvincing' detail for the sake of it, which is not what I want. I want subtle, convincing detail. Or maybe I just need a better bump map - this one is very low res at 500px square...

So how else to get the detail in there. I want to make the main body of the fighter at least as detailed as its blasters. Am very much open to suggestions!

Cheers people

Jay

Very nice! How about some emblems, stripes or decals? I know you said you were going for the pristine look, but some weathering would add a little character. It's all a bit sterile looking.

#55 darthgus

darthgus
  • 18 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

I think I'm happy with the basic shape now.

space fighter 01.jpg space fighter 02.jpg

#56 3D-Pangel

3D-Pangel

Custodian of the (now defunct) 3D World Database

• 1,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

I love sci-fi design and I think that everyone is just doing a great job on this competition. To me, there are really two design approaches - human and alien based. The alien based designs work when they really look "alien" - that is, they look like they don't follow the physical laws as we understand them and when you see them they instantly read as "not of this earth". The human designs work when they actually look like they could work in our real world. Everything makes sense from a design perspective, looks like it has a purpose and all it will take is small breakthrough in technology and that design could exist in the real world today.

With that said, I am loving Bigbot's design - particularly the control surfaces for atmospheric flight and the over-sized engines for escaping the Earth's gravity. Really looks like it could function as a space bound attack vehicle or a planetary assault vehicle. So the combination of functional design and overall coolness really works for me.

Also liking Cerbera's design, but I agree with him that the bump maps are really working against the design of the ship....particularly when you have this cool plating modeled on the top of the ship. That bump channel would be more appropriate as a cheap means of providing nernie detail on a really huge ship but makes no structural sense on a single man fighter if it is to suggest plating (actually, I would love that bump map for a large space ship I am working on now). I say leave it smooth. The lines of the ship are just cool and are what really make the ship...so sometimes more is less - take out the bump!!! Smooth can work, but if you must, just add one or two modeled seam lines to the main body - to suggest that it was assembled in sections.

Along the lines of "more is less", I would also tone down the size and number of rocket-launchers under the main body and the reduce the size of the laser cannons on the wings. You have such a great main body design that I think the size of these lasers and rockets are too much of a distraction. They look great, they're just too big.

3D-Pangel

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

#57 Pablo

Pablo
  • 386 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hi, here's a WIP of something i've got in mind. I began by deciding it will be human based in design (nice post by the way 3D-Pangel, why not get involved?), and just started throwing some shapes around with no idea of where it would end up - as you can probably tell by my cel render. I was pretty happy with the propulsion part of my starfighter so i began giving it some more thought and it began to develop pretty nicely. As I had no clue of the actual hull design i took these unfinished screengrabs of rough renders and began scribbling over them in Photoshop. I've now got a solid idea of what i'd like to end up with. It's going to be bristling with mines and missiles, with a couple of heavy and light blasters towards the front. As you can see, i'm heavily Star Wars/Doug Chang influenced, although my current train of thought is perhaps 100 years in the future where there may be a need for a kind of low orbit superiority kind of fighter. One that could defend/destroy satellites or limit enemy space travel or take out sub-space launched missiles. Basically something that's intended to loiter and react very quickly to a threat.
I also intend to try and UVmap and hand paint the textures if time permits. I want this ship to be battle worn and a little bit clunky and patched-up. As usual with any challenge i enter i'm always watching the clock as life gets in the way time and time again, so fingers crossed, i'll get this one finished for September 1st. I'm particularly keeping an eye on DarthGus' design, i'm loving how that one's developing and also Bigbot's which has a very nicely balanced and realised design. I hope everyone who enters manages to finish and push themselves with this challenge, thats what they are all about after all.
Hope you like the direction this is taking, cheers : ).

#58 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,125 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Also liking Cerbera's design, but I agree with him that the bump maps are really working against the design of the ship....particularly when you have this cool plating modeled on the top of the ship. That bump channel would be more appropriate as a cheap means of providing nernie detail on a really huge ship but makes no structural sense on a single man fighter if it is to suggest plating (actually, I would love that bump map for a large space ship I am working on now). I say leave it smooth. The lines of the ship are just cool and are what really make the ship...so sometimes more is less - take out the bump!!! Smooth can work, but if you must, just add one or two modeled seam lines to the main body - to suggest that it was assembled in sections.

Along the lines of "more is less", I would also tone down the size and number of rocket-launchers under the main body and the reduce the size of the laser cannons on the wings. You have such a great main body design that I think the size of these lasers and rockets are too much of a distraction. They look great, they're just too big.

3D-Pangel

Thanks 3D-P - very helpful comments. I have since made a better bump map...

...but you are absolutely right, there's no excuse for not modelling detail myself at this scale. I will sort that out if I get time. I think I am being lazy because I know I'm rubbish at modelling. But of course rather than looking for ways around it, I should just get in there and GET good at it - that IS the great thing about these competitions - they do make you do new stuff or get better at old stuff.

Having said that - I am having difficulty working out how people do nice curved seams in their topolgy when they don't seem to be using the topology of the model; ie the curvy panel joins seem entirely independent of the wireframe. How do you do that without using a displacement map or cutting in horrible booleans ?

I will do decals eventually, but trying to think of something that isn't the standard sci-fi fare of arrows and model numbers but still looks epic is not coming easily to me at the moment :)

Anyway - thanks for your help... and you relayer - all taken on board. I like sterile as in ultra clean, but not as in boring-to-look-at, so I will try and find the line between the 2...

Jay

I'm gonna try the rockets smaller now.

update:
Ha ! Which look SO much better :) sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees...

Edited by cerbera, 19 August 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#59 3D-Pangel

3D-Pangel

Custodian of the (now defunct) 3D World Database

• 1,409 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

Hi, here's a WIP of something i've got in mind. I began by deciding it will be human based in design (nice post by the way 3D-Pangel, why not get involved?),

Oh...that one is easy to answer. Because if you finish what you've started, you've got this competition locked up!!!

What I love about your post is that you are not only designing a ship, but envisioning a function behind the ship. When you start to wrap a story around the ship, or better yet a function, and weave that story/function into the design, then it begins to read more real than just a collection of cool shapes could ever hope to look.

I also love your approach...start by playing around with some shapes, finish them off a bit, then re-arrange them into different configurations until you feel you've "got" something. Finally, you wrap a sketch around them to finish the basics of the design.

I hear you though about life getting in the way....if I can eek out a few hours of good modeling a week - then that's a good week. As such, timed challenges never work for me...but you have inspired me - so I will take a whirl at it....no promises though.

3D-Pangel

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

#60 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,125 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Oh...that one is easy to answer. Because if you finish what you've started, you've got this competition locked up!!
3D-Pangel

:) Oh I dunno - Bigbot's has those sexy curves.

And I can come up with backstory! I know that's not the point ;) But anyway, here's an improvement to mine - now my attention is not only on surface detail (quite a lot of which has now gone in following 3DP's advice) but also on interesting scene reflections and lighting tweaks. Also the modelling crew have gone home while the wing painters did their thing. No doubt it will change a hundred times before challenge end, but here's where I'm up to now...

Jay

Edited by cerbera, 20 August 2011 - 03:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users