Hi everyone. The Cafe Challenges are up and running again. We thought you might all be too busy playing with the new toys in R13 so gave the Challenges a break. Something a little different this time and you've got a bit more scope to do what you want. The them is "Mad Scientist Experiment". This could be anything from lots of test tubes and bubbling liquids to a model of a mad looking scientist. Also something different this time around. We will allow you to use an imported Poser or Daz or any other figure into your scene. This includes characters that you may have modelled yourself before. However we want you to clearly state this in your WIP forum post and also in your final entry thread post. That also means you can use imported clothes. You will however have model all props and scene elements.
Note: Should you decided to do a character model of a mad scientist rather than an imported character in a scene you can't just slap on some clothes and pose an imported figure. We would expect you to model the character. Hope that makes sense. We just want to allow those wanting to the opportunity to finish off a scene by having characters in it.
The top 3 images will receive a Challenge award ribbon and also have their images featured in the Gallery.
The challenge runs 3 weeks and finishes Friday October 14 2011 PST.
Now the rules:
Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.
1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, October 14 2011.
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like to do the lighting, modelling and texturing.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes except for this challenge only you can use imported characters and clothes, See the note above. You can use imported light setups if you want e.g. the lighting setup from the Cafe's download section (which is used in the image above). Sketch & Toons renders are fine.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. PhotoShop post work is not permitted. It has to be modelled (see note above) and rendered in C4D or using a C4D renderer like Vray etc. But you can use imported texture maps, bump maps or displacement maps created in a 2D paint program or vector drawing program. Re Displacement Maps. You can create a displacement map in Photoshop for example but creating one in a 3D(ish) type program is not acceptable.
8. At least one WIP image in wireframe and a solid render are required as a reply to this thread. The wireframe render should be done as a Cel render. Check out our cel rendering tutorial here if you don't know how to do one. Please keep the Cel renders as Black lines on White background.
9. Up to 3 images may be submitted for your final entry. We want a maximum of 2 textured renders and one plain white render cel render. In the Cel rendered image, HyperNurbs objects must be disabled. We want to see the polygon construction.
10. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
11. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before unless that model is a character and or clothes.
12. Maximum image size is 1280x1024 and 400kb. Submit only jpeg images.
13. Compositing objects into photographs / background images is permitted in this challenge.
14. All props i.e. models must be modelled by you.
Good luck and have fun.