#1 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,507 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

Hi everyone. The Cafe Challenges are up and running again. We thought you might all be too busy playing with the new toys in R13 so gave the Challenges a break. Something a little different this time and you've got a bit more scope to do what you want. The them is "Mad Scientist Experiment". This could be anything from lots of test tubes and bubbling liquids to a model of a mad looking scientist. Also something different this time around. We will allow you to use an imported Poser or Daz or any other figure into your scene. This includes characters that you may have modelled yourself before. However we want you to clearly state this in your WIP forum post and also in your final entry thread post. That also means you can use imported clothes. You will however have model all props and scene elements.

Note: Should you decided to do a character model of a mad scientist rather than an imported character in a scene you can't just slap on some clothes and pose an imported figure. We would expect you to model the character. Hope that makes sense. We just want to allow those wanting to the opportunity to finish off a scene by having characters in it.

The top 3 images will receive a Challenge award ribbon and also have their images featured in the Gallery.

The challenge runs 3 weeks and finishes Friday October 14 2011 PST.

Now the rules:

Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.

1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, October 14 2011.

2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like to do the lighting, modelling and texturing.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes except for this challenge only you can use imported characters and clothes, See the note above. You can use imported light setups if you want e.g. the lighting setup from the Cafe's download section (which is used in the image above). Sketch & Toons renders are fine.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. PhotoShop post work is not permitted. It has to be modelled (see note above) and rendered in C4D or using a C4D renderer like Vray etc. But you can use imported texture maps, bump maps or displacement maps created in a 2D paint program or vector drawing program. Re Displacement Maps. You can create a displacement map in Photoshop for example but creating one in a 3D(ish) type program is not acceptable.
8. At least one WIP image in wireframe and a solid render are required as a reply to this thread. The wireframe render should be done as a Cel render. Check out our cel rendering tutorial here if you don't know how to do one. Please keep the Cel renders as Black lines on White background.
9. Up to 3 images may be submitted for your final entry. We want a maximum of 2 textured renders and one plain white render cel render. In the Cel rendered image, HyperNurbs objects must be disabled. We want to see the polygon construction.
10. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
11. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before unless that model is a character and or clothes.
12. Maximum image size is 1280x1024 and 400kb. Submit only jpeg images.
13. Compositing objects into photographs / background images is permitted in this challenge.
14. All props i.e. models must be modelled by you.

Good luck and have fun.

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#2 James Leaburn

James Leaburn

Yeh cannae shuv yer granny aff the bus.

• Moderators
  • 4,260 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sounds interesting.
If in doubt, scream and shout.

#3 cerbera

cerbera

Intergalactic Quad Police

• 1,129 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Great challenge - though I may have to sit this one out unless any cool ideas come floating my way... but I'll enjoy watching everyone else, whether I take part or not...

Good luck, peoples !

Luminetrics.net - making pixels extra shiny. Some Ngons remaining.

#4 baramdo

baramdo
  • 1,783 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

Sounds fun. I have some thoughts already!

#5 OD1

OD1

Master O D 1

• 7,625 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Man I wish I had time to join this one.. It looks like fun.. Good luck all.. [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/sc018.gif[/img]

#6 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:47 AM

nice one,

Cerbera; you should evolve on the ideas around your latest pic in the other contest, the gothic styled ramp,, create it to look more like a rocket or a ..bomb..
or maybe add a scientist sending someone off into the horizon... (a poor guy trapped in the rocket screaming to get out:), or a mad slightly deformed Jekyll and Hyde sorta person about to light the fuse of a rocket, sending it to the moon, from his hmm,, shadowy, creepy castle courtyard,, that contraption just begs to be in a spooky environment:P

and yeah,, good luck everyone,, not,, muhahahaha!,,
just kidding :-)

Edited by Karen, 24 September 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#7 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 2,055 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:04 AM

Cool idea for a challenge, and I love that we're allowed to import a character for the scene. So for that reason would someone please explain to me why on earth I'd try and model a character, especially when character modelling not my thing!! I think this 'Madness' has gone to my head!!

Anyway here's my start.

Jim
Check out my Website HERE or scan my avatar with your smartphone to check it out on your mobile device.

#8 cerbera

cerbera

Intergalactic Quad Police

• 1,129 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

nice one,

Cerbera; you should evolve on the ideas around your latest pic in the other contest, the gothic styled ramp,, create it to look more like a rocket or a ..bomb..

Er, that wasn't me [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] I think that was Bigbot, wasn't it [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] But good idea anyway.

CBR

Luminetrics.net - making pixels extra shiny. Some Ngons remaining.

#9 James Leaburn

James Leaburn

Yeh cannae shuv yer granny aff the bus.

• Moderators
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

Cool idea for a challenge, and I love that we're allowed to import a character for the scene. So for that reason would someone please explain to me why on earth I'd try and model a character, especially when character modelling not my thing!! I think this 'Madness' has gone to my head!!

Anyway here's my start.

Jim

That's the Mad Scientist in you coming out Jim. [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

I'd like to enter this one but I just got my new ZBrush upgrade and I've got my CS5.5 Production Studio coming, hopefully, next week. I may just not have enough time. We'll see.
If in doubt, scream and shout.

#10 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

oops,, sorry Cerbera,, I guess that post didn't come out as motivating as I'd hope ... hmm,, [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

you could always steal my ideas,, what about a NOrwegian think tank food processor, full of trolls and gnomes,, the original Viking drink [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img],, nah,I haven't really come up with any ideas either,,Im wondering about a clone machine producing people with an extra arm or leg,, or just some crazy spin on the science of gene manipulation,, hmm:)

Edited by Karen, 24 September 2011 - 07:49 AM.

#11 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • 2,055 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

Ya got the mad part right James. lol

Here's an update.

Jim
Check out my Website HERE or scan my avatar with your smartphone to check it out on your mobile device.

#12 dondo

dondo
  • 1,012 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

Hm, this is a cool idea. The fact that I can import figures might be the kicker that gets me in.

#13 SuperVee

SuperVee
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

I think I might be in on this one - the theme is just too good not to. Might take me 6 months to bring off my idea tho.

EDIT: I did the pants, shoes and head a few weeks ago, following the tutorial that is in the tutorial section of C4d reference. The hands I modeled from a tutorial - I think one I got from the Cafe. Also did the labcoat and the glasses today. Had a day off from work, which was lovely.

MadScientistWIP.jpg MadScientistWIPcel.jpg

Edited by SuperVee, 24 September 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#14 dondo

dondo
  • 1,012 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

Alright I'm taking a stab at this. I've built an evil underground laboratory. I've built out the general scene and have started with the texturing and spouting out details. I like it so far. Render without textures and a cel render:

#15 poodles

poodles
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

Im going for the lab rather than the scientist....no where near finished yet......
Some of my work..... http://www.electricpalette.co.uk

#16 3DCrew

3DCrew

Founding Member

• 3,481 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Well this looks like a good subject to get me back into C4D. I knocked out an Ehrlenmyer flask just to get started.

EFlask2aWire.jpg EFlask2a.jpg
~3DCrew

#17 OD1

OD1

Master O D 1

• 7,625 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

Off to a great start... all :)

Well this looks like a good subject to get me back into C4D. I knocked out an Ehrlenmyer flask just to get started.

EFlask2aWire.jpg EFlask2a.jpg

WOw is that you.. Good see hear from you 3dCrew .. great to have you back into it!!! [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/thisrocks.gif[/img]

#18 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • 2,055 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Update to my mad scientist 'Dr E. McSquared' Took me nearly all day to get that body looking like that!

Nice looking work guys, some great starts.

Jim

#19 Bigbot

Bigbot

Bigbot4D

• Supporter's Club Silver
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Update to my mad scientist 'Dr E. McSquared' Took me nearly all day to get that body looking like that!

Nice looking work guys, some great starts.

Jim

that image reminds me on one of my directors on the simpsons
Norm_BIGBOT4D

#20 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

heheh,,cool design JimReaper, I think I might go for a similiar hair style for my scientist :P

haven 't got a lot of ideas yet though... so far I've got a brain in a glass with some lightning,

Edited by Karen, 25 September 2011 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users