www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,661 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hi everyone. Something a bit different this challenge. Attached at the bottom is scene file in R13 format (opens in R12) and for those running older versions an obj file of a Beer can modelled by me. What we want you to do is texture it with your own design. We're not really interested in a fancy scene and judging will be mostly on the can texturing (or cans if you want to have more than one).

You are welcome to modify the can if you want e.g. crush it. Note for those opening the obj file that I used some edge weighting on a few edge loops to make some of the edges a bit tighter. The obj file does not include the edge weighting so feel free to weight edges or add in some extra edge loops.

As mentioned judging is mainly on the can only but you can add a few extra things in to finish the scene off if you wish. Texture maps can be created in any external application that you like. We do not want or need wireframe images as we're not judging modelling.

The top 3 images will receive a Challenge award ribbon and also have their images featured in the Gallery.

Now the rules:

Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.

1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, October 28 2011.
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like to do the lighting, modelling and texturing.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes. You can use imported light setups if you want e.g. the lighting setup from the Cafe's download section (which is used in the image above). Sketch & Toons renders are fine.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. PhotoShop post work is not permitted. It has to be modelled and rendered in C4D or using a C4D renderer like Vray etc. But you can use imported texture maps, bump maps or displacement maps created in a 2D paint program or vector drawing program. Re Displacement Maps. You can create a displacement map in Photoshop for example but creating one in a 3D(ish) type program is not acceptable. This is a C4D texturing challenge not C4D and Z-Brush or whatever else you can do sculpting in.
8. At least one WIP solid render are required as a reply to this thread.
9. Up to 2 images may be submitted for your final entry. We want a maximum of 2 textured renders. For this Challenge only we do not want or need Wireframe / Cel renders.
10. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
11. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.
12. Maximum image size is 1280x1024 and 400kb. Submit only jpeg images.
13. Compositing objects into photographs / background images is permitted in this challenge.
14. All props i.e. models must be modelled by you.
15. The label on the can must not be a copy of an actual beer or any other drink label. We expect original work not to see how well you can copy someone else's work. This also saves any argument over whether someone made the artwork or just downloaded it.

Good luck and have fun.

3DKiwi

Attached Files

Edited by 3DKiwi, 23 October 2011 - 11:27 AM.
Updated scenefile

#3 SuperVee

SuperVee
  • 289 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

I'm suddenly thirsty

#4 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,661 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

I'm suddenly thirsty

LOL - I suggest anyone needing inspiration to drink a few cans first. Attached are a few cans for members to help themselves!!

Here's hoping this challenge will be a lot of fun and one where lots of members take part as there's really no modelling required.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

Attached Thumbnails

• Beercans.jpg

#5 Guest_Kalipto_*

Guest_Kalipto_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

Sounds good, just have 1 question: does it have to be a beer can or can it be something else (like coca-cola)?

#6 James Leaburn

James Leaburn

Yeh cannae shuv yer granny aff the bus.

• Moderators
  • 4,270 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:40 AM

Sounds good. Cheers for the beers. :thisrocks:
If in doubt, scream and shout.

#7 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,661 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

Sounds good, just have 1 question: does it have to be a beer can or can it be something else (like coca-cola)?

Think we'd prefer beer since we've called it a Beer Can challenge. I probably should have mentioned. We do not want you to copy a known drink label e.g. Coca-Cola.

New rule has been added:

15. The label on the can must not be a copy of an actual beer or any other drink label. We expect original work not to see how well you can copy someone else's work. This also saves any argument over whether someone made the artwork or just downloaded it.

3DKiwi

#8 Guest_Kalipto_*

Guest_Kalipto_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

Think we'd prefer beer since we've called it a Beer Can challenge. I probably should have mentioned. We do not want you to copy a known drink label e.g. Coca-Cola.

3DKiwi

Ok, thanks!
Ah and another thing, I'm using 11.5 so should I model my own beer can?

Edited by Kalipto, 15 October 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#9 PixelPit

PixelPit
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:05 AM

Kalipto: You are meant to use the .obj file provided in the first post by 3DKiwi.

#10 Guest_Kalipto_*

Guest_Kalipto_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

Kalipto: You are meant to use the .obj file provided in the first post by 3DKiwi.

I know but can't use it on my version, tried

#11 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

MAXON computer GmbH / The Vertex Pusher

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

This one wil be interesting - I can already see few interesting labels :thisrocks:

Cheers

vertex-pusher.com - Professional CINEMA 4D Training videos and plugins

#12 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,067 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

I know but can't use it on my version, tried

file opens fine i have c4d11 and it works

how are you trying to open it?

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#13 PixelPit

PixelPit
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:38 AM

file opens fine i have c4d11 and it works

how are you trying to open it?

File opens in 11.5 as well without problems - do you get an error message?

#14 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,303 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:45 AM

The .obj file opens fine in R9.5, R10.5 and R11.5. The only things missing are the Hypernurbs and the weight tag.
I may not be good but I'm slow.

#15 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,067 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

if your trying to open by double clicking the file then it wont open.(unless you have obj files to open with c4d)
instead open c4d then just drag the file into the c4d window

Edited by dataflow, 15 October 2011 - 01:50 AM.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#16 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,661 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:52 AM

The obj file opens fine for me in 11.5. I tested before I uploaded the file. You just need to add a HyperNurbs object and if you want to, weight some of the edges although the difference is very subtle.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE MEMBERS TO MODEL THEIR OWN CAN. You'll be disqualified if you do. You can modify my can within reason but we want a level playing field by all starting off with the same can.

3DKiwi

#17 Guest_Kalipto_*

Guest_Kalipto_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:18 AM

Everything is working fine now, thanks for all the help :thisrocks:

#18 shujashakir

shujashakir
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 476 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

Wow! just feels like playing with texturing in PS [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/bigwink.png[/img]

Attached Thumbnails

• Beercan.jpg

#19 Joshfilms

Joshfilms

VFXdaily

• 2,514 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Nice challenge idea [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img].

Cheers,
Josh

-VFX and Motion GFX Artist - http://www.vfxdaily.com/

#20 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,661 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Good work folks.

By the way for those new users who want to have a go and not sure how to do a label that wraps around the can properly. You need to measure the circumference. In the R13 scene the circumference is 193.113 units. The height the label would need to be would be approximately 98 units. This means an aspect ratio of 193x98. Scale that up say 10x and you get a texture resolution of 1930x980 pixels. You can then apply the material with image map loaded using cylindrical projection. You'll need to scale it down slightly in the Y axis. (A fit to object command from the Object Manager Tags menu helps initially) You would almost certainly have a metal texture underneath this for the top and bottom.

The attached scene shows how to apply a label 1930x980 in size to your can that's the right proportions and has no distortion. Hope this is of some help.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

Attached Thumbnails

• texturethecan.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users