Hi everyone. The "Texture a Beer Can" challenge was so successful we're doing another challenge where we supply a Nikon D90 model (by HSrdelic) for you to texture and render. A little bit different this time as we'll allow you to model other things to go with it, composite it into a photograph etc. The only things we don't want you do is use any imported models. You are welcome to modify the camera in any way e.g. add a big lens. Note that the top LCD screen comes out rounded with a HyperNurbs object. It's not like this on the real camera so feel free to add some edge loops to sharpen it up. You also can't do any post processing in a 2D paint program like Photoshop. The final result must be straight out of the renderer. We will allow you to use a 2D paint program to convert your rendered image into a jpeg image as C4D's jpeg quality is not that good.
We will allow pre processing of background images in a 2D paint program. You might for example want to remove some objects from the photograph before loading the photo into C4D.
What we're looking for this time around is a model that looks real. You'll get extra points for being creative. A idea I had that you are free to take up is to model a tripod for the camera then composite the camera and the tripod into a photograph of me taking a photo. (That's why the allowed pre processing of a photograph may come in).
At the bottom of this post are 2 attachments. One is the camera in R12 / R13 format. The other is Obj format for those running earlier versions of Cinema 4D. You are allow to reorganise the parts and to add a HyperNurbs object (It needs a HyperNurbs object).
The top 3 images will receive a Challenge award ribbon and also have their images featured in the Gallery.
Now the rules:
Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.
1. Deadline: Midnight Pacific Standard (North America), Friday, November 25 2011.
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like to do the lighting, modelling and texturing.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes. You can use imported light setups if you want e.g. the lighting setup from the Cafe's download section (which is used in the image above). Sketch & Toons renders are fine.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. PhotoShop post work is not permitted. It must be rendered in C4D or using a C4D renderer like Vray etc. But you can use imported texture maps, bump maps or displacement maps created in a 2D paint program or vector drawing program. Re Displacement Maps. You can create a displacement map in Photoshop for example but creating one in a 3D(ish) type program is not acceptable. This is a C4D texturing and rendering challenge not C4D and Z-Brush or whatever else you can do sculpting in.
8. At least one WIP solid render and one WIP wireframe / cel render are required as a reply to this thread.
9. Up to 2 rendered images may be submitted for your final entry. We want a maximum of 2 textured renders. We also require a wireframe / Cel render showing the polygon construction. Please disable HyperNurbs objects.
10. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
11. You cannot use models etc that you have previously modelled before.
12. Maximum image size is 1280x1024 and 400kb. Submit only jpeg images.
13. Compositing objects into photographs / background images is permitted in this challenge.
14. All props i.e. models must be modelled by you.
Good luck and have fun.