#1 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,665 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

height="240" width="320">

Hi everyone. I hope you all have recovered from Christmas. Sorry for the delay with the results. Some great entries and the top entries were all very close. The 3 judges all had a different entry as there best image so as usual, points were awarded based upon the placing that each judge had them at. I then totalled up the points and the image with the most points was first, second most points got second etc.

The winners are:

1st Place - cerbera

2nd Place - Varanid

3rd Place - kingcoma

Honourable mentions: uveedzign & pedrosoto

Well done everyone. Challenges will now take a break for a few weeks and return in 2012.

Happy New Year.

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#2 Occultcg

Occultcg
  • 904 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Congratulations to the winners !

Happy New Year !

Edited by Occultcg, 28 December 2011 - 03:53 PM.

Imagination is the only limit of creativity.

#3 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 2,055 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Congrats to you all, hope you all had a good christmas.

Jim
Check out my Website HERE or scan my avatar with your smartphone to check it out on your mobile device.

#4 poodles

poodles
  • 827 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

Well done winners! Happy Christmas and new year!
Some of my work..... http://www.electricpalette.co.uk

#5 cerbera

cerbera

Intergalactic Quad Police

• 1,129 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Well done everyone - I was sure Kingcoma and Pedrosoto would pip me to the post with their vastly superior modelling... I must have fluked it with the render.

Was great fun though - this challenge made me conquer my fear of bodypaint and go into battle with hair, both things I'd been avoiding like the plague up til now... Still never got the hair on the ears quite right tho...

Anyway, Happy New Yearings to everybody...

CBR

Luminetrics.net - making pixels extra shiny. Some Ngons remaining.

#6 PixelPit

PixelPit
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

I was sure Kingcoma and Pedrosoto would pip me to the post with their vastly superior modelling...

Nope... It was pure math and in my book Varanid has the cleanest model of all entries.
I don´t agree with the numbers that called the winners. IMO Kingcoma should have won - it´s simply the most finished picture and charming as always from him. Varanid´s übercute reindeer is correctly placed second and Pedrosoto and cerbera should have been a split third. My 2 cents and opinion...

#7 James Leaburn

James Leaburn

Yeh cannae shuv yer granny aff the bus.

• Moderators
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:24 AM

Congratulations guys. Fanatastic work. :) All three winners made me laugh.
If in doubt, scream and shout.

#8 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,665 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

As mentioned all 3 judges had a different image for their first place. That then gets 3 points. Second gets 2 points and third gets 1 point. The breakdown was:

Cerbera 6 points - 1x1st, 1 x 2nd and 1x3rd
Varanid 5 points - 1x1st and 1x2nd
kincoma 4 points - 1x2nd and 2x3rd
pedrosoto 3 points - 1x1st so in effect pedrosoto was 4th

If anyone can think of a better system when there are 3 judges I'm all ears.

Nigel

#9 pedrosoto

pedrosoto
  • 148 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

congrats to all ...kingcoma...in my heart you are the best, bro

#10 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

As mentioned all 3 judges had a different image for their first place. That then gets 3 points. Second gets 2 points and third gets 1 point. The breakdown was:

Cerbera 6 points - 1x1st, 1 x 2nd and 1x3rd
Varanid 5 points - 1x1st and 1x2nd
kincoma 4 points - 1x2nd and 2x3rd
pedrosoto 3 points - 1x1st so in effect pedrosoto was 4th

If anyone can think of a better system when there are 3 judges I'm all ears.

Nigel

Nope, that's the fairest way there is, isn't it ?

#11 PixelPit

PixelPit
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Nigel, it´s a democratic system - it just does not necessarily pick the most aesthetic pic. It is blatantly obvious that Kingcoma delivered the best result, when objectively judging concept, modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering and general finish. Bottomline is that it´s not reflected in the numbers. I´m well aware that I might cross the border into the subjective and personal preference area, but with all due respect to all involved, there´s no way cerbera is placed 2 places above Kingcoma, when judged on the above mentioned criteria.
20+ years in illustration and concept/fine art tell me something else.... oops, that was subjective.

Edited by PixelPit, 29 December 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#12 cerbera

cerbera

• 1,129 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

It is blatantly obvious that Kingcoma delivered the best result, when objectively judging concept, modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering and general finish.

I'll give you concept and modelling, in which I freely admit KC owns everyone, but texturing, lighting, rendering and general finish ? Perhaps it is because I know how much work went into mine in those areas that I think you are being unfair.

#13 Occultcg

Occultcg
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

I`m affraid i must agree with PixelPit about the 3rd place...

Edited by Occultcg, 29 December 2011 - 01:49 PM.

Imagination is the only limit of creativity.

#14 uveedzign

uveedzign
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Nice work!!! i hope next time ill be in the first 3.

i really like kingcoma result.

#15 PixelPit

PixelPit
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Cerbera, I just see the final result, not the time you spent learning and understanding new features of the software. It is/was not my intention to be unfair to you or anyone else. Quite the contrary. I have great respect for your work and the knowledge of 3D you put on display on a regular basis. That said, I also think we can agree, that the reindeer is not your best work to date in terms of composition, lighting etc. You might have learned more than in previous pieces and this makes it special to you. I as a spectator do not see that though - I only see the surface.

#16 drb1981

drb1981
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

I'm with PixelPit on this one folks. KC should have had this in the bag. I'm also very surprised by Pedrosoto not scoring in the top 3 as in my humble opinion his reindeer was fantastic.

Nevertheless, well done to all entrants.

Cheers
Deano

#17 Varanid

Varanid

Varanid

• 1,243 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

I'm not going to comment on placement, however a few comments in this thead have me wondering about something, and I would like hear some clarification. I've actually wondered about this after seeing the results of a few past challenges. Specifically modeling challenges.

How much to does environment, lighting, texturing, rendering, etc really count?

My understanding was that it's really about the modeling (if we're talking about a modeling challenge) and not about the rest. Now mine is on it's way to becoming a finished illustration eventually, and is still a WIP. That's what I do, so I'm taking my time so that I end up with a portfolio piece and an illustration that eventually tells story.

I pretty much figured I was done with what I needed for the challenge before adding the landscape, lighting, etc. I had time, so I started with the rest of it.

However if I was someone else, maybe strictly a modeler, and not concerned about an illustration portfolio, I might just model the reindeer, throw a basic texture on there, do a quick render with the default light and call it done. Shouldn't that, strictly speaking, put someone on equal ground in a modeling contest even against those who are composing full scenes around their model?
Kingcoma certainly delivered the best finished scene, and a fine model no doubt. I love what he did. I'm just wondering how much the scene as a whole and the elements that entails matters in these modeling challenges.

No attachment either way, just pure curiosity. Like I said a few of the comments about "finished" scene have me wondering about this again. I think everyone did a great job!

#18 Karen

Karen
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

I think the winners are well deserved, Kingcoma's scene may be superior overall, but the render quality and atmosphere in the 1.place pic is maybe a little more interesting and original,, plus the incredible hair and fur,

and even if the landcape in the 2.place pic is a bit flat and plasticky, the modeling of the reindeer seem more detailed and polished imo, but it's a very close tie, true,

Edited by Karen, 30 December 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#19 Fastbee

Fastbee
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

The system used for scoring sounds like the best system. I feel the placement is right. With this thing you will always have someone who thinks one is better then the other. This is seen between the judges and some other comments here. Everyone can't be made happy. Good job to the everyone who entered and the judges.

As another thought I'm thinking the new system makes judging easier as there is no argument between the judges. Is this right?

#20 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,665 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

As another thought I'm thinking the new system makes judging easier as there is no argument between the judges. Is this right?

More or less. Occasionally we'll have a bit of discussion about why a judge went with their picks when they seem radically different than another's. Then we may have a rethink.

Myself and others have asked the forum developers for a competition voting system. We have polls where you can select one only option. That's fine for picking a 1st place but no good for second and third.

3DKiwi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Challenges

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users