C4D R13 Plugin Not Working With After Effects Cs5.5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bobmarker_*

Guest_bobmarker_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hopefully someone here can point me to the obvious that I hope I'm overlooking.

For some reason I cannot get the C4D plugin to work on my main monster computer. I have been able to install it as part of a trouble shooting venture on 3 other computers (old laptops, etc.), and everything works just fine. But for some reason, I cannot get AE to import the AEC file C4D creates. I have the latest R13 plugin from here http://www.MAXON.net...es/plugins.html working on CS5.5 on Windows 7.

I have searched around online and haven't seen anyone else with the problem. And since was able to get it to work on 3 other temp. installs, I'm left to conclude that it's my computer or something with my AE install.

I have uninstalled all of CS5.5 and reinstalled it, but to no avail. Any other suggestions?

I know for a fact I am installing the plugins in the correct folders as I have it working on other computers AND the new After Effects "Export to C4D" works just fine. The one that doesn't work is the import AEC file from inside AE that wont' do anything.

I click the AEC file to open, AE acts as if it's opening it and then does nothing. It doesn't add any comps, cams, sequences, or anything else that it's supposed from my multi-pass render

#2 brasco

brasco
  • 675 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Works here so the latest 2 plugins are ok, have you tried just dragging and dropping/importing the .AEC directly into the After effects project? I can never open them directly, in fact I struggle to just open after effects' native .AEP without importing it, which is bizarre...

Also, just to confirm this is where I've got my c4d>ae exchange plugin (I know you know, just confirmation):
C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe After Effects CS5.5Support FilesPlug-ins

brasc

#3 hulaboy

hulaboy
  • 1,677 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

That linked download is for the AE export to C4D plugin. You need the exchange plugin from the main Cinema install to go from C4D to AE.

Mark

#4 brasco

brasco
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

It contains both exchange plugs in the same zip now

cheers
brasc

#5 fixated

fixated
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi everyone

Late to the post but I am having the same problem with importing cinema 4d project into after effects using the plugin.. I try to open the AEX file created from C4D and it opens but nothing in it. If I import the same file from inside after effects the same result...

1) I have checked for any duplicates of the plugin on my system but found none (someone else online mentioned they can clash if there is a duplicate somewhere and cause this issue) so this didn't fix it.
2) I have installed it into the correct after effects plugins folder!! C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS4\Support Files\Plug-ins
3) It is the importer and not the exporter plugin that I am trying to use...

I have exported a project that took 35 hours to render with all the multipasses AND the after effects composition file and now find I cannot do anything with it!

Of course I can always just import the multipass folders into an after effects composition seperately etc but I don't get the camera or lighting data which is what I need... The renders have come out perfectly though... just this after effects composition file that is killing me....

Is this a bug that MAXON and adobe have not noticed?

I was trying this on the R11.5 I have on windows 7 and trying to import to after effects cs4 but to check if it was an issue with the softwares not working in tandem I installed trial versions of R13 and CS5.5 and tried those versions (of course going through the motions of deleting the other versions and installing the newer plugin from MAXON's site into the cs5.5 plugins folder this time... and so far am having the same issue with them also...

Is it a windows 7 issue? with security administrator settings or something? if so anyone have any ideas?

any help much appreciated...

#6 Joshfilms

Joshfilms

VFXdaily

• 2,514 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

The correct AE import plugin can be found in your exchange plugins folder in your R13 download. I'm guessing the plugins on MAXON's site are up to date too but to be sure just grab it from your R13 folder.

-VFX and Motion GFX Artist - http://www.vfxdaily.com/

#7 brasco

brasco
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

This may be a long shot but If you're using 64 bit you're in the wrong folder, should be "C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe After Effects CS4Support FilesPlug-ins".

cheers
brasc

#8 fixated

fixated
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Alas I did a second more focussed search through EVERYTHING in the after effects folder and found a copy of the plugin in a third party plugin folder in the effects folder in its pdf manuals folder!!!! how on earth it got there I have no idea but deleted and now everyhing works fine!

So, lesson is that you have to check literally EVERY single folder in your after effects folder if you are having this problem to be sure you have no other duplicates... because the windows 7 search function didn't find it...

Thanks for the replies anyway... gladly its solved!!!!! :)

#9 krpdesign

krpdesign
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

i was having a similar issue here, but got it to work. working on windows xp, cinema r13, and after effects cs4.

i followed FIXATED's advice and did a search for the file. sure enough, there was a duplicate somewhere in the after effects plugin folder ((mine was in extensions).
as soon as i deleted it, the problem was fixed. thanks for the insight Fixated!

#10 Ugbot

Ugbot
  • 11 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

finally!!! This has been driving me crazy for ages. Scanned the internet for ages trying to work this one out.

The good news is the 2 posts above are right - get rid of any copies of the c4d.plugin and it works fine.

Thanks a lot Fixated....

#11 Guest_ekimbo_*

Guest_ekimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I had a duplicate in the "Format " folder found in the AE plugin directory. I don't know how it got there. When I deleted it, my imports satared working. Thanks guys!

#12 Guest_Constant_*

Guest_Constant_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks so much guys! I did a search as well and deleted all of the Cinema4d plugin files I could find (duplicates) and then moved the R13 one and now it works!

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users