Render Faster With Mac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hello I have a macbook pro with the latest Core i7 and 16GB ram plus over 400GB harddrive and a graphics card.

What the problem is with extra scenes putting into 1 file like adding more grass environments that has 1000000s of hairs and 85658 guides so that you can't see the botton plane texture.

Well on a separate file when I try and change the guides up it crashes by loading and not responding for an hour so I'm wondering is it because the 64bit R12 isn't using enough GB ram or is it because of something else that I don't know of as it's the only application open?

On preferences my memory options is 9999999. And shadows,reflection and shadow depth is off. Any ideas would be appreciated :-)

#2 BigAl3D

BigAl3D
  • 2,036 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

"On preferences my memory options is 9,999,999."

What exactly does this mean? That's how much memory you allocated to what? The numbers on that pref pane are in MB, so it may be that you are telling Cinema to use 10,000 GB of RAM. Gigabytes. Maybe C4D is using ALL the RAM in your system which means the OS has no resources to function. The OS or C4D is probably resorting to using the HD as virtual RAM which is very slow. Just a thought.

Not to mention that a laptop is not a great choice for a complex 3D project like that.

Edited by BigAl3D, 09 February 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#3 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,303 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Does not any modern OS automatically allocate resources as required up to the the limit of what's available?
I may not be good but I'm slow.

#4 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

I know Activity monitor can show how much memory it uses each time and yes my memory in preferences is 99999999 even on Harddrive MB I put it up to 99999999? could there be a solution to this or anything else to improve render space like do I need a better graphics card or more GB ram? more help would be appreciated :-)

#5 srek

srek
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

I'm not sure what memory setting in the prefs you set to such high values, the only one that has any impact on renderspeed is the Displacement setting and that only if you use SPD. In general you can leave it set to defaults.
85000 Guides sound like way more than you might actualy need. I rarely fsee a situation where more than a couple of hundred or a very few thousand are needed.
My guess is that your scene isn't set up optimaly, thus using much more memory than is neccesary.

#6 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

@Srek here is the settings I'm talking about as I've tooken a screenshot of the memory settings.

And yes I tend to use alot of guides just to fill the plane up really so that the plane texture cannot be seen but only the grass like in real life.

#7 spedler

spedler
  • 1,068 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

That's a complete misuse of the guides. Just because you have 85000 guides doesn't mean you get 85000 hairs. You get the number of hairs specified in the Hairs tab of the hair object. You could have 1 guide and you'd still get that many hairs (try it and see).

I wonder if your graphics card is having trouble handling a scene with that many guides. It's a laptop so I would guess (not knowing much about Mac hardware) that its graphics card is not the most powerful. Anyway, if upping the number of guides hangs the machine... keep the number of guides low.

#8 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,303 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

It might be worthwhile contemplating the advice in the Help about that memory setting. It reads "Make sure this value is not set too high as to impare other applications running parallel to CINEMA 4D."

Edited by SKP, 10 February 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#9 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

That's a complete misuse of the guides. Just because you have 85000 guides doesn't mean you get 85000 hairs. You get the number of hairs specified in the Hairs tab of the hair object. You could have 1 guide and you'd still get that many hairs (try it and see).

I wonder if your graphics card is having trouble handling a scene with that many guides. It's a laptop so I would guess (not knowing much about Mac hardware) that its graphics card is not the most powerful. Anyway, if upping the number of guides hangs the machine... keep the number of guides low.

I've just tested it with the 1 file background of 1 guide only and yes the hairs still appear but it still took about 18min to render I know on hairs is about 6000000 and 8 segments fill hairs has 5000000. And as mentioned on 1 of my past posts it's to make sure I only see the grass on the plane but not the underneath texture.

#10 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Also here is the info on my mac if anything could be updated to improve the render space. As wouldn't it be lovely to have all 3D environments into 1 file like a 3D island with few towns and countrysides all nicely welded together.

Any more help would be appreciated.

#11 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

The only ideas I've come up with is these wait for a new faster processor better then core i7 and talk to MAXON themselves to see if there is anything new to speed up renderings for C4D. As I mentioned it would be lovely to see a file with all backgrounds added and I can save up for it if it was expensive.

Thanks for your ideas though.

#12 rustEdge

rustEdge
  • 1,344 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Could you post a render of what it looks like with around 1/100 the number of hairs you have right now?

There's always ways to cheat when it comes to rendering scenes. I just can't imagine that you can't sacrifice anything on your file...

#13 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Well here is what is looks like with 3000000 hairs plus 3000000 fill hairs option.

I might need extra to make sure I can't see the plane texture.

#14 BigAl3D

BigAl3D
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

So what's the plane texture? Is it some kind of white? Here's what I wold do. Make a new material with a texture map of grass or something that will help fill in the holes. Apply that material to your plane. Now your gaps blend in without the extra 3 million hairs. As RustEdge said, many times you need cheat. Fake it. Trickery.

Just a thought.

Edited by BigAl3D, 12 February 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#15 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,303 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

And why the heck are you uploading a 2.19Mb screen shot? You're on a 17" MacBook Pro. If I screencap my entire 21" screen it's a third that size. Have some consideration.

#16 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

So what's the plane texture? Is it some kind of white? Here's what I wold do. Make a new material with a texture map of grass or something that will help fill in the holes. Apply that material to your plane. Now your gaps blend in without the extra 3 million hairs. As RustEdge said, many times you need cheat. Fake it. Trickery.

Just a thought.

I've done that already as the plane already has the green texture but I've found a spectacular site that could help with fast rendering i'll reveal the surprise later in 2 weeks but thanks for your help. :-)

And why the heck are you uploading a 2.19Mb screen shot? You're on a 17" MacBook Pro. If I screencap my entire 21" screen it's a third that size. Have some consideration.

What I did was this once the scene is rendered you can take a screenshot of the scene by holding Command shift and 4. I only wanted to show the render speed as proof to what @rustEdge had mentioned.

#17 rustEdge

rustEdge
  • 1,344 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm afraid you're missing all the points we just brought up.

You're relying on brute force to get what you're trying to do (Seriously, I can see everyone who replied to your queries to render out a better shot with at least twenty times the speed on a weaker machine.)

Also, you could've compressed the "screenshot". This is almost as bad as saving something out as a .bmp a decade ago.

#18 srek

srek
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Please set your prefs back to default, you realy messed up memory settings and i don't want to know what else you changed in a similar way. Those settings are there for a reason and the reason is to avoid unneccesary blocking of ressources. What you did is basicaly crippeling your system.
For the gras in that scene more then a couple of hundred guides is a waste and since it is all very short stuff you can get away with very few guide and hair segments (3-4 for guiides and 4-6 for hairs).
You realy have to learn to set up a scene before you start thinking about aquiring more ressources (faster CPU, more memory ...). Whatever spectacular site you found on rendering, it won't magicaly make your setup fly.
Cheers
Bjorn

#19 spedler

spedler
  • 1,068 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

What I did was this once the scene is rendered you can take a screenshot of the scene by holding Command shift and 4. I only wanted to show the render speed as proof to what @rustEdge had mentioned.

Sure. But, having taken the screen dump, all you had to do was save it as a JPG rather than a PNG. At 80% quality it reduces to 310K and still looks fine. It's the work of a few seconds to do. You could even reduce it more but a 2Mb+ screen dump is a bit silly.

#20 Adamblacky

Adamblacky
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm afraid you're missing all the points we just brought up.

You're relying on brute force to get what you're trying to do (Seriously, I can see everyone who replied to your queries to render out a better shot with at least twenty times the speed on a weaker machine.)

Also, you could've compressed the "screenshot". This is almost as bad as saving something out as a .bmp a decade ago.

But as mentioned wouldn't it be good to have a file with all backgrounds in it even though it would take alot of memory that's what my aim is as a student and I know what can help me as I've found a good website and i'll be saving up for that particular thing.

Please set your prefs back to default, you realy messed up memory settings and i don't want to know what else you changed in a similar way. Those settings are there for a reason and the reason is to avoid unneccesary blocking of ressources. What you did is basicaly crippeling your system.
For the gras in that scene more then a couple of hundred guides is a waste and since it is all very short stuff you can get away with very few guide and hair segments (3-4 for guiides and 4-6 for hairs).
You realy have to learn to set up a scene before you start thinking about aquiring more ressources (faster CPU, more memory ...). Whatever spectacular site you found on rendering, it won't magicaly make your setup fly.
Cheers
Bjorn

But I followed youtube Tutorials on how to render faster and that's how I learn't them and 99999999 is the max of memory so you don't need to worry anymore as mentioned I have found a better site you'll see in a week because on the site they say they can speed up with faster systems for a file with lot's of backgrounds as a progress world all done by me.

Sure. But, having taken the screen dump, all you had to do was save it as a JPG rather than a PNG. At 80% quality it reduces to 310K and still looks fine. It's the work of a few seconds to do. You could even reduce it more but a 2Mb+ screen dump is a bit silly.

Yes but I prefer the screenshot version of what my brother taught me and who knows if your talking about a big screenshot the size of my screen then maybe 1 day i'll look into that but for now is little screens only takes 5secs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users