Forums, gallery and free tutorials for Cinema 4D. Registration is fast and free. Please ensure you read our rules before joining.

Photo

1 On 1 Basketball Animation Contest

Cactus Dan Plugins Challenges Character Animation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 40,022 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image

In conjunction with Cactus Dan, C4D Cafe is very pleased to announce the "1 on 1 Basketball Animation Contest". All you have to do is animate the characters and objects in a pre-rigged scene supplied by us and produce a 6 - 10 second animation.

You'll need CINEMA 4D Release 10 or higher. You also need to download from Cactus Dan's site the following 2 sets of plugins. You do not need to buy them (unless you want to). The plugins work in a special runtime mode that allows you animate the characters but not to create or modify rigs.

CD Character Bundle Pro
CD Transfer Tools

Here's a short pdf file explaining how the plugins work in runtime mode.

Here's the scene file:
Attached File  1on1_Basketball.zip   530.03KB   409 downloads

Prizes

1st Place - CD Character Bundle Pro 1.5 - worth US $220, CD Transfer Tools 1.0 - worth US $50, Discovering BodyPaint with 3DKiwi - worth US $82, Your choice of 1 only Vertex Pusher training edition - worth US $38

2nd Place - CD IK Tools/CD Morph bundle 1.5 - worth US $110 and Discovering BodyPaint with 3DKiwi - worth US $82

3rd Place - CD IK Tools 1.5 - worth US $70 and Your choice of 1 only Vertex Pusher training edition - worth US $38

The winners also get their animation featured in the Cafe gallery and a Cafe Challenge award.

Rules

Contest duration: 6 weeks. Contest close midnight 23 March 2012 PST time
Animation length: 6 - 10 seconds. 10 seconds maximum duration.
Animation resolution: 640x480
Animation format: Quicktime (.mov) using the H.264. File size no more than 5mb We'll review this size if becomes apparent that it's not high enough.
We also want as an image attachment along with your animation, one rendered still from your animation at 1024 x 768 resolution in jpeg format.

Judges: Cactus Dan, Cafe admin staff.

You are to only use the supplied scene. You cannot add extra models and you cannot duplicate / copy objects in the scene. You can however use deformers for example to bend the goal post.

Rendering is to be done using a Cinema 4D renderer.
No post work is permitted.
No motion capture is allowed. No retargetting is allowed.
No imported texture maps. The scene is textured and the lights are all done. You don't have do anything. You can however adjust the lights and add Ambient Occlusion if you want.
The materials / textures are not to be changed. We're not judging on materials.
No other plugins are to be used. This is an animation contest. We want to have a level playing field with everyone having the same resources. You can use Dynamics if you want to.
No WIP images are required in this thread although you are welcome to post them.
You are welcome to add sound effects but the sound must added within Cinema 4D.
You can enter multiple times. For each entry please add the entry as a new post in the final entry thread.
The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
By entering the contest you agree to your animation being used for promotional purposes by either Cactus Dan, MAXON or C4D Cafe.

Please submit your final entry in the final entry thread here.

Let the games begin :)

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    Follow me on Strava

#2 C4DS

C4DS
  • Supporter's Club Silver
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

Always looking forward to an animation contest, although I feel the need to participate there are a few things holding me back.
- I don't know didley about basketball, all my moves would probably result into penalties.
- 10 second limits: not much "story-telling" possible, so one has to come up with actions readable to the audience (that's the whole point of CA)
- Still haven't touched R13

But count me in, if I manage to come up with a good "story" you'll get my entry posted.

#3 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,253 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm pretty much the same as C4DS. Need a story...and some ability to animate, he's ahead of me there...and probably a bunch of other things I don't yet know I need.
Nice prizes too.
I may not be good but I'm slow.

#4 digitvisions

digitvisions
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 316 posts
  • C4D Version:11.5 (or older)

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

This is going to be a great challenge. I am definitely going to give it a go. Thanks Cactus Dan for letting us use your excellent cd Character tools and to 3DKiwi for running this challenge. Also thank you to whoever created the characters and scene. :)

#5 markberlin

markberlin

Tondiar

• 273 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

very nice prizes and a fun challenge. Hope a lot of people will enter ;-)
Let's pray that the human race never escapes Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere.

#6 TommyBE

TommyBE
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Just started to learn animation so probably way over my head but i'll give it a shot.

#7 Horganovski

Horganovski

Toon in:Power on:Ease out

• Moderators
  • 9,686 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Woo, hoo! Delighted to see a competition like this on the Cafe. I'm too busy to take part but I hope a lot of people at least give it a try. You'll learn a lot by just diving in an having a go IMO.

Regarding the length, 10 seconds is actually pretty long for animation, there's definitely time in that (240 frames at typical feature frame rate of 24fps) to tell a story. At iAnimate where I'm studying at the moment the shots we are working on for our assignments are typically 8 to 10 seconds long and we get 3 to 4 weeks to do them. That might sound like a long time but they expect us to make them highly polished which takes a long time.

Here's a video that might provide some inspiration and a glimpse at how much a feature film animator puts into a short scene in a movie. It also outlines the typical workflow , ie blocking in the main poses in Step keys first, then adding more 'breakdown' poses to refine the motion in succesive passes.

Good luck everyone!

Cheers,
Brian

#8 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 40,022 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Re story and not enough time. We're not asking for the entire game, just one or two short action sequences. 10 seconds is plenty of time.

Some suggestions to get your brain working:
Double somersault / backflip slam dunks
Bullet time slow motion up close shots of the ball being slam dunked into the hoop
Trick shots
Fantastic save
One player leap frogs over the other player

Thanks for the video Brian. This should help people get the idea of what's involved.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    Follow me on Strava

#9 bezo

bezo
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

great challenge,amazing prices,
would be nice to have a lot of competitors

Lubo

...btw, some troubles with download scene file in IE browser (broken or corrupted archive)

#10 OD1

OD1

Master O D 1

• 7,625 posts
  • C4D Version:11.5 (or older)

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

this should be a nice challenge.. good luck all.. [img]http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/bigsmile.png[/img]

#11 OriginalGem

OriginalGem
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hey Cafe members i need some help. I did an animation using the basketball scene, I didnt change any of the settings and when my rendered .mov is done the file size is 9-10mb. for a 9sec. movie. Can someone please let me know how to reduce my file size so it will meet the guidelines for this challenge.

Thanks

#12 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 11,885 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

you need to change the settings thats why its so high.
just lower the QT quality and the frame rate (in the QT options) if needed

Edited by dataflow, 11 February 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#13 Cactus Dan

Cactus Dan

Of the West

• 1,767 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Prime

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Howdy,

Switch the setting to the "H.264" codec.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

#14 Guest_Inisheer_*

Guest_Inisheer_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Woo, hoo! Delighted to see a competition like this on the Cafe. I'm too busy to take part but I hope a lot of people at least give it a try. You'll learn a lot by just diving in an having a go IMO.

Regarding the length, 10 seconds is actually pretty long for animation, there's definitely time in that (240 frames at typical feature frame rate of 24fps) to tell a story. At iAnimate where I'm studying at the moment the shots we are working on for our assignments are typically 8 to 10 seconds long and we get 3 to 4 weeks to do them. That might sound like a long time but they expect us to make them highly polished which takes a long time.

Here's a video that might provide some inspiration and a glimpse at how much a feature film animator puts into a short scene in a movie. It also outlines the typical workflow , ie blocking in the main poses in Step keys first, then adding more 'breakdown' poses to refine the motion in succesive passes.

Good luck everyone!

Cheers,
Brian

Splining

DAY 493371

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif

#15 Vilandra

Vilandra

Lead 3D Modeler for the UpThink Lab

• 3,150 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Its been a long time since ive done any character work, but I just might give this a try.

#16 Joshfilms

Joshfilms

VFXdaily

• 2,514 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Very cool!

-VFX and Motion GFX Artist - http://www.vfxdaily.com/

#17 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,253 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just started to play with the scenefile. Excellent rigs and great fun Dan.

#18 Guest_Inisheer_*

Guest_Inisheer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Just started to play with the scenefile. Excellent rigs and great fun Dan.

I agree. The rig is very easy to work with from the beginning. However, I seem to be missing finger controls. Am I overlooking them somewhere?

#19 Cactus Dan

Cactus Dan

Of the West

• 1,767 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Prime

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Howdy,

The finger controls are the User Data sliders on the yellow spline objects on each hand:

Adios,
Cactus Dan

#20 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,253 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

If you set your Selection Filter to Spline only it's easy to select the controllers without risk of picking anything else.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cactus Dan Plugins, Challenges, Character Animation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users