Encouraging Experiment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Visualize

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

I wasn't going to post this here because your eyes are more attuned to CG tell tale signs than most people. I did, however, post on a general forum I'm a member of and simply asked people to tell me how many CG elements are included. I'm encouraged that, up to now, no one has even gotten the number right, let alone be able to identify them, so thought I'd post here after all.

The photo is my less than tidy desk, though some of the clutter is C4D renders. Everything in the photo (real or fake) can often (or even usually) be found on my desk. Some of you have probably seen some of the models used before, so you have an advantage.

I did this purely to brush up on my compositing 3D with real as a refresher exercise, but now I decided to throw open the challenge to you, too. I fully expect someone to crack it in the next ten minutes, here :)

WhatsNew.jpg

Running C4D on Phenom II X4 965 with 8 Gig PC 6400, NVidia GTX 670 2Gb, and a lot of bits & pieces plugged in.

#2 airbusch

airbusch

airbusch

• 1,157 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Too good for me. I can't tell what's real and what's memorex.

#3 bezo

bezo
  • Supporter's Club Silver
  • 391 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

?

br, Lubo

#4 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,098 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

the mug, jug, and the glasses in the middle.
1 problem with the mug is the placement because its intersecting the glasses.
the jug has shadow on the right side which gives it away and the glasses are/would be intersecting the batteries

Edited by dataflow, 30 June 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#5 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,311 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Six. The springy man desk toy, the spectacles (both), the pack of cigarette papers, the white jug, the cell phone in the middle.
I may not be good but I'm slow.

#6 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'm surprised - no-one is correct. One of you is very close (you've gone too far).

Running C4D on Phenom II X4 965 with 8 Gig PC 6400, NVidia GTX 670 2Gb, and a lot of bits & pieces plugged in.

#7 SKP

SKP

Hopeless

• 5,311 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

OK, strike the folded spectacles.
I may not be good but I'm slow.

#8 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

OK - but still too far ;)

#9 Walter

Walter
  • 322 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm guessing the cigarette papers and the lighter. Not because there's anything wrong with them, but because I'm a smoker. You're missing an asstray where I always have one.

Walter

#10 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 2,071 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'll take a guess at the unfolded glasses and the jug to start with. I have a feeling that the pack of tobacco and the phone to the right could be, I'm probably wrong with those 2 but something about them doesn't look right to me.

I think this is a great exercise, I think it would also make for a great cafe challenge.

Great work RokenPrice.

Jim
Check out my Website HERE or scan my avatar with your smartphone to check it out on your mobile device.

#11 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Jim. I'm sorry to say, only half right :)

#12 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm guessing the cigarette papers and the lighter. Not because there's anything wrong with them, but because I'm a smoker. You're missing an asstray where I always have one.

Walter

The ashtray is just out of shot - to the right left of the keyboard.

Edited by RokenPrice, 30 June 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#13 kvb

kvb
  • 615 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Rolling papers, stick figurine thing, glasses on the right and the white jug.

As an ex-smoker myself I have to throw this in there... get yourself an electronic cigarette and quit killin' yourself;) I used to roll my own smokes at times because they were cheaper and they tasted better. The e-cig is both of these. Costs me $20 a month instead of $250 and I can vape any flavor I want (and anywhere I want because it's just water vapor that's exhaled). Lately I've been bouncing back and forth between a nice vanilla bavarian cream combo and a wintergreen and orange combo. Very satisfying and I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 3 months:)

Sorry to get off topic... just had to say it;)

Cool exercise, and nice compositing skills. Some of my guesses are just that... guesses;)

-kvb

#14 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Well done kvb - the first person to accurately identify ONLY the CG elements. Original photo and wireframe as proof.

As for the electronic cig thing, I'm seriously considering it, though I'm interested in this vaccination thing that's been announced in the UK press recently, too. Maybe they'll pay me to volunteer for that.

And I don't want to give up because of the killing myself thing (that honestly doesn't bother me), but rather because whilst I'm living I'm getting fed up of coughing.

DSCF0078.JPG WhatsNew-reveal.png

Edited by RokenPrice, 01 July 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#15 dataflow

dataflow

Cafe Master Blaster

• 12,098 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

if you moved the glasses it would be harder to guess they are CG.
i thought it was the mug because the mug was going through the glasses i just picked the wrong 1 to be CG

Dataflow Donations C4D beta tester

#16 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

To be honest, it's all masked in c4d - the only post work was a little anti-aliasing. As such, I had a hell of a job getting a mask on the mug that was invisible, simply because of the reflective table top. This caused compositing errors between the table top and the mask (other masks/compositing planes were less affected because they didn't overlay each other in the view).

The only solution was to eventually make a custom polygon mask shaped to the mug, with boundaries to match the hard edges of the mug itself. Whilst this solved the compositing error, being unable to zoom in to an extreme closeup to finesse the mask was a big problem (I couldn't zoom in because, of course, the background image doesn't zoom along with the view).

If I was going to do this for production I would probably create the mask for the mug in post, rather than in the render. At least then the GI specs would vanish completely behind the mug.

#17 kvb

kvb
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Well done kvb - the first person to accurately identify ONLY the CG elements. Original photo and wireframe as proof.

As for the electronic cig thing, I'm seriously considering it, though I'm interested in this vaccination thing that's been announced in the UK press recently, too. Maybe they'll pay me to volunteer for that.

And I don't want to give up because of the killing myself thing (that honestly doesn't bother me), but rather because whilst I'm living I'm getting fed up of coughing.

DSCF0078.JPG WhatsNew-reveal.png

Hurray! What do I win? :) I was a bit skeptical about the spectacles. On the one hand, they seemed to be sharing a bit of space with the coffee mug, but on the other hand, they seemed to be refracting something behind one of the lenses. I was also a bit skeptical about the little stick figure guy thing. I vaguely remember you posting that model, but if I recall correctly, you actually do have one of those and modeled it from that. I almost picked the phone on the right as being cg instead of that (because of the reflection strength differences between it and the other phone... plus the fact that there was another phone :) ).

Well, done on the compositing, it was quite a chore sniffing those out:)

On the e-cig front, contact me before you go out and buy one. I'd hate for you to pick one up that sucks and turn you off of them as a result. There is quite a good forum related to them, but it's swimming with so much info it can make deciding even more daunting. I can help point you in the right direction:)

-kvb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users