Hair Texturing / Materials

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 chadgilmour

chadgilmour
  • 50 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm looking for some help creating some purple velvet that looks good when used some-what close up. I recall seeing a post awhile back mentioning using Hair/Fur to help create some of the finer intricacies of velvet. I've taken a stab at it with a primitive (see attached), but can't get it to work well with text. I seem to never be able to create enough hairs with anything other than a primitive. I can scale the text down, but then the hairs get too big/thick. Anybody seen or done anything like this? Velvet seems to be one of those more tricky textures to get right. I'd even be open to buying a preset or project, but can't find any of those either.

Maybe it's just my lighting? I'm wondering how one would coat an object with hair since I'm left maxed out and wanting more.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen shot 2012-07-09 at 3.22.44 PM.png
  • Screen shot 2012-07-09 at 3.57.00 PM.png

Gilmour Media | MacPro4,1 | OSX 10.7.5 | C4D R15 | Adobe CC

#2 cerbera

cerbera

Intergalactic Quad Police

• 1,129 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Try a cheen shader for the underlying surface. This is often enough to do a very good job of velvet, with careful tweaking, even enough to avoid using hair or fur altogether. Perhaps not very close though, and lighting plays a big part in getting the cheen shader to look right.

You can't be maxed out with hair. I don't think it can be maxed out, other than your machine's ability to process it all. If you are not getting enough, look at the distribution mode of it. Try setting it to polygon area, or at least make sure it isn't on polygon center. Also, make sure you are not turning up the amount of guides, which will do nothing in the render.

I'd be using fur for this, rather than hair, which gives better results with shorter lengths.

Luminetrics.net - making pixels extra shiny. Some Ngons remaining.

#3 chadgilmour

chadgilmour
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

You can't be maxed out with hair.

Now I feel silly, I swear I was putting in values for the Fur Count, and it kept reseting to 30,000. Now today I try it and it seems there is no limit. Maybe I was on the wrong setting or something.

Also, I'm using Fur, but I don't see a "Distribution Mode"? I'm on R13.

Another thing I've noticed is Fur distributes nicely on primitives, but not text, I have to set the spline points and cap poly's to a certain point to create an even poly structure and then turn into an object.

I'll give the Cheen shader a try, I don't have much exp with the Shaders, I'm currently using a bump map with noise scaled way down.

Thanks for the tip! I'll post anything else I come up with.

Gilmour Media | MacPro4,1 | OSX 10.7.5 | C4D R15 | Adobe CC

#4 Anthony Owen

Anthony Owen

Oldest Member

• Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Vertex Pusher Volume 2 deals with materials (including all the shaders). If you want to get your head around what C4D has to offer, this would be a good investment.
Win 7, 8 core PC with 12 Gb RAM 64 Bit

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hair, Texturing / Materials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users