Background Environment In Vray

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fimbul_*

Guest_Fimbul_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

Good day. Excuse my english, it might not be perfect.

So I rendered this 360° image

http://s7.directupload.net/images/120810/t6qx3eb3.jpg

which I plan to use as background and as a HDR light source for upcoming projects. It needs some tweaking, but I have to solve certain problems first that I don't seem to understand.So I used the Vray environment options to set up my scene. The HDR worked fine as GI environment, good light, reflection works fine too. But the image I took for background bothers me. Of course I picked "sphere" for mapping method, which means the image is in a cool way being bent around some kind of virtual sphere with infinite dimensions. That's awesome, but in the rendering, the image seems blurry. Although I used a quite high resolution - 5000x2500px.look at this

http://s14.directupload.net/images/120810/apd5e2y5.jpg

I realize the background is quite noisy due to low render settings, same for irradiance map and light cache. Ignore that.

Do you see the blurryness of the background? And the fine sharpness of the "s"? I guess it's because as the background image wraps around the sphere, you're looking at it closer than you actually should. The distance isn't right, but how can I correct this? I think I'm not getting the concept of relativity concerning a rendering inside a rendering.

How do I get a sharp and fine looking background image? Am I going the wrong way here? Wrong workflow? Thanks for your help.

Edited by Fimbul, 10 August 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#2 RichArt

RichArt

Cafe Star

• 8,294 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:01 AM

For questions about Vray you best go to the official VrayforC4D forum..

http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/

Peace,
Rich_Art. :wackywink:
C4DLounge.eu our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum

#3 Guest_Fimbul_*

Guest_Fimbul_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

For questions about Vray you best go to the official VrayforC4D forum..

http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/

Peace,
Rich_Art. :wackywink:

I understand, but the question is not specific about Vray, it's about the behaviour of 360° panorama images as backgrounds and how I get the best result. Imagine I use the same method on a sphere and try doing it in AR3, but since I use vray, that wouldn't make much sense.
This forum even says "Questions and discussion about Advanced Render module, Standard C4D render engine, Net Render Module, Vray, Maxwell, finalRender Stage-2 render engines."

There, vray. So I think I'm in the right place.

Edited by Fimbul, 10 August 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#4 hulaboy

hulaboy
  • 1,643 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

The problem you've got is that the visible portion of your background in the final render is only a small fraction of the full image and it looks as though it's probably got some noise itself. Ideally you should have a separate, front-projected, flat LDR image to use as the render background which does not not contribute to lighting or reflections. You would then use a high(er) resolution LDR version of the spherical image for reflection and a medium to low resolution blurred HDR version of the spherical image for the lighting.

If it's an animation you would need a higher resolution LDR environment map for the background than you're using currently.

Mark

Edited by hulaboy, 10 August 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#5 Guest_Fimbul_*

Guest_Fimbul_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

The problem you've got is that the visible portion of your background in the final render is only a small fraction of the full image and it looks as though it's probably got some noise itself. Ideally you should have a separate, front-projected, flat LDR image to use as the render background which does not not contribute to lighting or reflections. You would then use a high(er) resolution LDR version of the spherical image for reflection and a medium to low resolution blurred HDR version of the spherical image for the lighting.

If it's an animation you would need a higher resolution LDR environment map for the background than you're using currently.

Mark

You're right. Why would I even consider using a panorama image for a static rendering if it's not for animation. Might as well just use a normal rendering for background purposes. Also I forgot to blur out the HDR image for GI.
I appreciate your help, thank you.

#6 stefanlaub

stefanlaub
  • 122 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

hi fimbul,

you need not to blur the hdri for GI in vray, that only reduced the quality.
also use the vray light dome for it best. not the BG environment.

i recommend using the official support forum, there we can help you if you are a user.

best regards
stefan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users