#1 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,507 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

Posted Image

Hi everyone. Time to get back into the challenges now the fuss about Release 14 has died down. So what shall we have a challenge on? mmm, I know, how about sculpting using the demo version of Release 14 :)

Okay so what you need to do is download the demo version of R14 and use that. Once R14 is released in early September you can carry on using that if you have upgraded to it. If you activate the demo version you can save and render files although the render resolution is 640 x 400. You may be better rendering to the viewport and taking a screen grab of that.

This challenge runs for 4 1/2 weeks finishing 15 September 2012. Plenty of time to get up to speed with the new sculpting system.

You can sculpt whatever you like but your original base mesh must be created by you and must have been created specifically for this challenge. What we want to see as your final entry is:

Minimum of 1, maximum of 2 rendered images, no texturing but you can apply a plain coloured material of your own choice. You can use Ambient occlusion and or Global Illumination. You do not need to bake the sculpture back to a low res object (unless you have trouble rendering a high res sculpt object)

1 x image / cel render of the original unsubdivided base object. No materials. We want to see polygon construction.

This is a modelling / sculpting challenge only. We do not want any texturing / painting apart from applying a plain coloured material (sub surface scattering is okay). You are welcome to enter multiple times.

In this news thread we require at least:

1 x work in progress render or viewport screengrab (we don't want the toolbars) of your sculpt
1 x image / cel render of the original unsubdivided base object. We want to see polygon construction. This will be the same image as what you post in the final entry thread.

This challenge will be a lot more interesting if members post regular updates of what they are working on. Since we're all new at this we encourage members to share tips and techniques on how to do things if questions are asked.

Regular challenge rules apply:

Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.

1. Deadline - Midnight Friday September 14 2012 P.S.T. (4 1/2 week challenge)
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. Final and WIP images as listed above.
7. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
8. You cannot use models etc. that you have previously modelled before.
9. You can use imported alpha type images for stencils, stamps or masks. These images can be made by other people. However don't overdo it as we're judging your sculpting not how clever you can be using stamps etc that may have been made by other people.
10. Obviously you can use any built in stamp and stencil presets. The full release version has lots of presets. We're not sure what the demo has.

Good luck!

Cafe staff

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,507 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

No doubt I've missed something. We'll do our best to clarify things if members have questions. Now that C4D has sculpting challenges just got a whole lot more interesting :)

3DKiwi

#3 Rezca

Rezca
  • 423 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Visualize

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Owners of Studio might have an unfair advantage in future modeling challenges as they have access to the Sculpt tools (I myself am upgrading this month. Think I might go for the MSA offer as well.), so something like "Include a render of the non-sculpted model as well" might be in order?

Hmm... I think I might take part in this for once. Give it a shot at least.

#4 RichArt

RichArt

Cafe Star

• 8,294 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Nice one Nigel... Will be fun to follow the challenge.....

Peace,
Rich_Art. :wackywink:
C4DLounge.eu our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum

#5 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 2,055 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

This will give me the incentive to have a go at sculpting the evil witch I've just drawn in photoshop. My main issue will be creating the base mesh, I was going to use the one that comes with the demo. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Jim
Check out my Website HERE or scan my avatar with your smartphone to check it out on your mobile device.

#6 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,507 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

Owners of Studio might have an unfair advantage in future modeling challenges as they have access to the Sculpt tools

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We may for some polygon modelling challenges say no sculpting. However for general challenges they will be able to use sculpting. Previously people with say Broadcast and Studio would have had MoGraph compared to Prime users without. One could argue they had an advantage.

3DKiwi

#7 Malcor

Malcor
  • 27 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

Will downloading the R14 and installing it, have any effects on my current installation? or Maybe when I uninstall my current installation?

P.S. I really want to enter into this competition!

Roy

#8 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,507 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Will downloading the R14 and installing it, have any effects on my current installation? or Maybe when I uninstall my current installation?

You'll be fine. You can run multiple versions of C4D. They don't interfere with each other so you don't need to uninstall. I'm running 5 different versions, 6 if count Cinebench.

3DKiwi

#9 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • 2,055 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

Taking screen captures is one option for showing our wips, cel renders, and even final renders, but if we bake our sculptures so we have the displacement maps, can we then take those models into earlier versions of cinema to render out larger res images?

Jim
Check out my Website HERE or scan my avatar with your smartphone to check it out on your mobile device.

#10 shawnfoster

shawnfoster

3D Developer

• 1,966 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

I'm in on this challenge. I am a big fan of the new C4D sculpting tools. Can't wait to see what people come up with. :D
| Shawn Foster | Check out My YouTube Channel

#11 Rolandesch

Rolandesch
  • 11 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

Just downloaded the demo, the sculpting feels so good :D

#12 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

MAXON computer GmbH / The Vertex Pusher

• Admin
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

I can't participate..grrr :confused:

Cheers

vertex-pusher.com - Professional CINEMA 4D Training videos and plugins

#13 RichArt

RichArt

Cafe Star

• 8,294 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

You could exclude yourself from voting.. :-)

Peace,
Rich_Art. :wackywink:
C4DLounge.eu our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum

#14 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

MAXON computer GmbH / The Vertex Pusher

• Admin
  • 9,030 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

That's an option, but even then I doubt I could find free time....:)

I am looking forward to see the entries - this will be very interesting challenge!

Cheers

vertex-pusher.com - Professional CINEMA 4D Training videos and plugins

#15 Malcor

Malcor
  • 27 posts
  • C4D Version:12 (or older)

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Just downloading r14, now that i'm at home. Just checking, because Im downloading this just for the challenge I don't have to do a WIP of installing it lol ;-)

I'm joking, what I mean is I can't wait to get started.

Roy

#16 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,507 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Taking screen captures is one option for showing our wips, cel renders, and even final renders, but if we bake our sculptures so we have the displacement maps, can we then take those models into earlier versions of cinema to render out larger res images?

I can't see a problem with that.

Also with a plain material. I'm fine if that material has sub surface scattering.

3DKiwi

#17 RokenPrice

RokenPrice
  • 708 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Visualize

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

Oh, non-starter for me. I use C4D using wine on Linux, and the last version that will install is 11.5 :(

Running C4D on Phenom II X4 965 with 8 Gig PC 6400, NVidia GTX 670 2Gb, and a lot of bits & pieces plugged in.

#18 TheJimReaper

TheJimReaper
  • 2,055 posts

User's Awards

10 4 2

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Well here's a start from me, took me a while to get this together. I struggle to get my head round character modelling, I just hope the sculpting part comes easier. If this goes ok, I'll be keeping this base mesh for use later on in other projects. Head was modelled in R14, and rendered in R13.

Jim

#19 shawnfoster

shawnfoster

3D Developer

• 1,966 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Here's the base mesh I will be using. :) Created it tonight with R14. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• base..jpg

#20 shawnfoster

shawnfoster

3D Developer

• 1,966 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

And my start! Gonna head to bed but this is a good start. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• start.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sculpting, Challenges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users