Hi everyone. Time to get back into the challenges now the fuss about Release 14 has died down. So what shall we have a challenge on? mmm, I know, how about sculpting using the demo version of Release 14
Okay so what you need to do is download the demo version of R14 and use that. Once R14 is released in early September you can carry on using that if you have upgraded to it. If you activate the demo version you can save and render files although the render resolution is 640 x 400. You may be better rendering to the viewport and taking a screen grab of that.
This challenge runs for 4 1/2 weeks finishing 15 September 2012. Plenty of time to get up to speed with the new sculpting system.
You can sculpt whatever you like but your original base mesh must be created by you and must have been created specifically for this challenge. What we want to see as your final entry is:
Minimum of 1, maximum of 2 rendered images, no texturing but you can apply a plain coloured material of your own choice. You can use Ambient occlusion and or Global Illumination. You do not need to bake the sculpture back to a low res object (unless you have trouble rendering a high res sculpt object)
1 x image / cel render of the original unsubdivided base object. No materials. We want to see polygon construction.
This is a modelling / sculpting challenge only. We do not want any texturing / painting apart from applying a plain coloured material (sub surface scattering is okay). You are welcome to enter multiple times.
In this news thread we require at least:
1 x work in progress render or viewport screengrab (we don't want the toolbars) of your sculpt
1 x image / cel render of the original unsubdivided base object. We want to see polygon construction. This will be the same image as what you post in the final entry thread.
This challenge will be a lot more interesting if members post regular updates of what they are working on. Since we're all new at this we encourage members to share tips and techniques on how to do things if questions are asked.
Regular challenge rules apply:
Judges for this challenge: Cafe Staff.
1. Deadline - Midnight Friday September 14 2012 P.S.T. (4 1/2 week challenge)
2. No time limit i.e. take as long as you like.
3. No imported models / meshes / scenes.
4. Members can enter multiple times.
5. The Cafe judges reserve the right to disallow any entry if in their opinion the entry contains objectionable, offensive material or blatant advertising.
6. Final and WIP images as listed above.
7. All final entries must be made in the proper "Final entry" thread located here.
8. You cannot use models etc. that you have previously modelled before.
9. You can use imported alpha type images for stencils, stamps or masks. These images can be made by other people. However don't overdo it as we're judging your sculpting not how clever you can be using stamps etc that may have been made by other people.
10. Obviously you can use any built in stamp and stencil presets. The full release version has lots of presets. We're not sure what the demo has.