Rigging Robot Arm And Cmotion.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hello, I going to rig my first robot-arm, never did it before, I really want to do it well.

I going to model robot, I already watched few tutorials how to rig, but I still now sure how to animate robot then.

Let's say I've modeled model , like this (coloured bug) and I have it done and ready to animate.

What should I do?
In my project my robot doesn't walk somewhere, he is going to just stay on one place and stomp, maybe little bit move, but not so far.

I assume Cmotion - is the modul to make Cycle motion to somewhere, yeah? but is it good for stomps? My robot just doing very hard slow movements on almost one place (it going to be just 4 sec video where he's appears and doing laser scan).

Please give me advice, maybe some steps.

DO you know some tutorials on youtube for robot arms?
Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Robot%20Model.jpeg
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-19 at 5.31.27 AM.png

P.S. ESL

#2 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

MAXON computer GmbH / The Vertex Pusher

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

You can use definitely use Cmotion for stopms, and much more than that ;)

Cheers

vertex-pusher.com - Professional CINEMA 4D Training videos and plugins

#3 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

What should I do first?
Let's say I have modeled robot, just a model.

How should I start?
Should I start using Cmotion or I have to rig robot first?
P.S. ESL

#4 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

You have to rig the robot first. Cmotion is advanced expression and it basically provides one with multitude of motion on various axis and much more. After you rig the robot, either manually or with character tool then you can apply Cmotion to the legs. This means you will have to create an action in Cmotion (probably Lift on Y) for each leg controller, or to their parent (hub) which will drive the steps and that is easy if you use character tool since it has "add walk" button which does it for you.
If you are new to Cmotion and your rig will be built manually, that might be a bit more work, but use the same logic you can find in good old vibrate tag for Cmotion too, since the principle is the same :)
The difference is that Cmotion is far more powerful and offers a plethora of options....

You can also take a look at my vol.5 which goes really deep with Cmotion among other things ;)

Cheers

#5 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hello, HSrdelic
I have this model from internet.

I was thinking to use Joint Tool and make a custom joints, but then I've realized I don't know how to connect these joints together to get complete rig with entire body, not just a leg.
So I'm using "Character - Character" and there Advanced Biped, because I don't have robot-template there :)

What do you think is this a good idea to use Character Tool for that?

I've looked in internet and everywhere only characters, but nowhere is Mech or any kind of robots. Dont know why, maybe because Character tool made only for bio characters not for hard-sufrace models?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 4.55.22 PM.png

P.S. ESL

#6 rustEdge

rustEdge
  • 1,344 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

mechs are very varied in terms of parts. it's why there's no template for them.

you'll have to first figure out how each part moves in relation to everything else before you can even start setting up your rig.

#7 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hello HSrdelic,
I've been watching tutorials about rigging, I've tried to use Character Tool - but it didn't work, because there is no option to change count-bones.

I've used Joints, I've made very basic rig, please take a look to screenshots.
What do you think is it a good way to use Joints?
I just parenting part of my arms to joints.

And my biggest question - how should I make toe for leg?

Please look to screenshot where robot bending his toes. I want to make the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 11.15.43 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 11.07.36 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 11.07.24 PM.png

P.S. ESL

#8 HSrdelic

HSrdelic

• Admin
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

For mechanical rigs you don't really need joints since (usually)nothing deforms. Placing axis of objects and nulls in logical places, coupled with parenting, hierarchy structure and constrains can do the job :)

Cheers

#9 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

I already did job with Joints, looking pretty good on one leg and now I have to do the same with another leg, I don't know how to make it.
Is there any way to make it quicker? Mirror tool or something?
And after all I want to make it to Cmotion to animate.
P.S. ESL

#10 CollinBishop

CollinBishop
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

I already did job with Joints, looking pretty good on one leg and now I have to do the same with another leg, I don't know how to make it.
Is there any way to make it quicker? Mirror tool or something?
And after all I want to make it to Cmotion to animate.

As long as the mesh is symmetrical I would delete the weighting and mirror it with the mirror tool. Maybe post a scene file of a leg and we can help you out and give you pointers.... The Cmotion stuff will come last and work off of your CONtrollers....

#11 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hello, I have this.
file with legs:

http://cl.ly/2G3y0U410U2l

and screenshots from file.

SO I have one leg rigged as I could.
I have to do the same with another leg.

There is very simple rig, but can you please give me some advice how to make leg more accurate and maybe im smart way, I waas working just base on my knowledges. Never done any rigging before :)

Thank you guys!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 7.41.14 PM.png

P.S. ESL

#12 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

I did rigging of both legs and now I working with Cmotion.
My robot doing only vertical stomps, I need to make him walk like a hard heavy robot.
Let's say he has to walk only few meters, just like BAMM BAMM BAMM and then stop!

Please here is a link to my scene:

http://cl.ly/2m3M2B1b370p

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 10.52.53 PM.png

P.S. ESL

#13 CollinBishop

CollinBishop
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

You are going to have to go into the root of the joints and create a null on top that works as the base of the spine. There are many different movements that you must do to realistically pull off the stomping motion. The weight will have to shift from above and you will have to provide push in the "z" axis. The main things that I found hard to control with this setup is that without any XPresso written in through rangemappers it will be hard to prevent the joints from penetrating the mesh if the values of rotation get too high. As a base run it will work fine though. This is a excellent tutorial showing how to get extra movement. Remember that you must shift the hips with rotation to get the stomping though.....

Edited by CollinBishop, 31 August 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#14 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I doing IK rigging now, I want to use Constraints to limit my joint to move only on specific axis, but I can't find how should I just lock movements on one axis.
When I do it, my joint just jumps to somewhere else and stays there, how can I apply it without any jumps?
Please show me some example.
P.S. ESL

#15 CollinBishop

CollinBishop
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

You need to make sure first that your transformations are frozen and that you are constraining through the "up" constraint. Making sure that it is in the proper axis as well helps. You will reference off of a null.

#16 sambuev

sambuev
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have another question - I have rigged Mech somehow, it's looking good enough for simple movements, but I have to place him to 12 different scenes in video, but I want to use him from ONE scene and in the other scene I want to use Xref and animate only Null objects there, is it possible to do it?

Just have Rigged_Mech.c4d and Mech_Animation.c4d and 12 times :)

Maybe I will need to change some stuff, like materials, size of his arms and add some extra details.
How do you usually do it? I don't want to go to every scene every time and change some little details there. Maybe there is a smarter way?
Thank you in advance C4DCafe fellows!
P.S. ESL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)