• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 mlm

mlm
  • 65 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

I had a similar topic a while ago but it was never really answered :( 

Although I have not been working day and night trying to get this working, I seem to always be going back every once in a while. How do I bring a skeletal rigged model (with bones) in C4D and problematically animate in XNA using those bones instead of meshes. Not necessarily the code to move it just how to get into XNA's content pipline.

Zip includes the simple tank model I rigged up with 3 bones which works great in C4D. Also a model already a fbx from a code sample on XBLIG App Hub site that works as expected in the model viewer although multiple meshes which goes against what I read in Cygon tutorials: Attached File  C4D-XNA Models.zip   1.1MB   41 downloads

Cygon has written some tutorials but I don't seem to be doing anything wrong and I think it might just be the FBX exporter. In the 3DS Max tutorial he rigs it and then makes into a single mesh so that each render in XNA is less intensive.

I know people have reported errors with the fbx exporter but I am using Studio R14 although the FBX exporter still only has 2012 (7.2), 2011 (7.1), 2010 (6.1)

I know Cactus Dan has a FBX exporter but in his promo video he said it only works on CD Plugin skin and rigging/bones. Is there any other FBX export plugins I can use?

I am using this XNA Model Viewer for my tests and it seems that each mesh in objects panel gets converted to what XNA considers a bone and moves the meshes. And each bone in C4D is considered a bone but does not manipulate any mesh... see picture:

c4d to xna practice tank.png

Am I just doing this wrong? It seems that I can move the model though the "bones" that are really just objects/primitives and if I nest those it semi works likes rigging.

I hope there is some hope for C4D because I feel it far superior and easier to use than 3ds Max (although haven't confirmed myself that it works either).

#2 mlm

mlm
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

A step in the right direction on this is someone with Cactus Dan's fbx exporter plugin and rigging tools can download the tank model and rig it up with the CD bones and export. Post it as an attachment so I can test and see if it works great.

Cactus Dan plugins might be the only hope...

Thanks, Eric

#3 Cactus Dan

Cactus Dan

Of the West

• 1,860 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Prime

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Howdy,

Here is an fbx file exported with CD FBX Import/Export plugin you can test:

Adios,

Cactus Dan

#4 mlm

mlm
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Here is an fbx file exported with CD FBX Import/Export plugin you can test:

practice_tank.zip

Just to put a closing statement on this topic.

Thank you Cactus Dan for putting up a model. It has been a long time since I did this but I think I could not get the bones moving.

XNA is now an officially dead platform (Microsoft said they were not continuing it) and I have now moved on to Unity.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Model (Download), Plugins, Scripting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users