• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 existe

existe
  • Supporter's Club Gold
  • 83 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Just curious in what way does sculpting play in the work flow for hard surface modelling?

I am still learning modelling in a traditional program like C4D, but it would seem to me it might be somewhat easier in a program like ZB,Mudbox or 3D Paint to do hard surface modelling where you do not have to be as "percise" with the polygons.  Any truth to that or depends on the artist?

If one is simply making something for still image rendering, how does the sculpting workflow work for say hard surface modeling? say a detail mech or spaceship.

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,643 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Just curious in what way does sculpting play in the work flow for hard surface modelling?

Not a lot currently. The tools are too immature to give the same finesse that you get with ZBrush. All you could currently do is add surface detail to something you had polygon modelled.

Anyone else?

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#3 rustEdge

rustEdge
  • 1,344 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's that useful just yet. Maybe for edge beveling and whatnot just to lighten up on poly count, but I'm not sure how consistent you can get with it.

#4 existe

existe
  • Supporter's Club Gold
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Not a lot currently. The tools are too immature to give the same finesse that you get with ZBrush. All you could currently do is add surface detail to something you had polygon modelled.

Anyone else?

3DKiwi

So C4D is still lacking but sounds like ZB or maybe others (Mudbox etc.) might be a realistic alternative?  Guess I am trying to establish if traditional polygon modeling for hard surfaces is still the way to go or have the sculpting applications matured enough that is can be done mainly within them so the focus shifts from the technical manipulation of polygons to the artistic.

Sometimes it just seems like the tool (C4D) gets in the way of the imagination because the artist (me) is lacking experience and knowledge but it appears applications like ZB take away some of those roadblocks.  Do not mind learning and putting in the hours but if someone is using the wrong or less efficient tool...

#5 PixelPit

PixelPit
  • 844 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

You are better off, if you learn how to model properly first. It´ll be an advantage, when you retopologize your hi-res mesh and model for articulation/animation. A sculpted hard surface mesh will likely be millions of polys. You´d want to avoid that in an app like C4D. ZBrush has great tools for hard surface sculpting, but you will, most likely, want to retopologize the resulting mesh for the sake of manageable uv editing. There is no way around learning the traditional skills imo. - not yet anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users