Best Nurbs Software?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shazbot

Shazbot
  • 75 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hey everbody, been using Moi for awhile now, but frankly I'm hungry for something more, as nice and easy as it is. One's that come to mind are Rhino, Solidworks, and Alias. I need a program however that can export clean ngons to C4D, if by a plugin that's fine, but it's also important that the program has very good and efficient fillet tools, which to be quite honest, is the one thing I absolutely hate doing in 3D, I mean it too. But at the same time I need good bevels because I'm nitpicky when it comes to getting things realistic. As you can see, Moi is sometimes frisky on corner patches, many say it has other problems as well with fillet, a lot of software does, it's a complex process after all. The example I have shows just this, some gross corners, which I hate, imported from Moi as ngons, the creator says it can't be helped I guess. Help is appreciated! (: 

Attached Thumbnails

• problem.png

Edited by Shazbot, 22 May 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,706 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

You must be using the wrong settings exporting from MoI to C4D. Export in obj format as per the attached image. The cube will then come in with nice filleted edges.

3DKiwi

Attached Thumbnails

• MoICube.png

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#3 Shazbot

Shazbot
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

You must be using the wrong settings exporting from MoI to C4D. Export in obj format as per the attached image. The cube will then come in with nice filleted edges.

I wish, but it just happens to be the way Moi handles the corners in this scenario, which is a very simple object, grant it, far away they are never noticable, but zoom close or enlarge the fillet radius and it would be. I can't say I'm not surprised though, nearly every 3d app seems to have a little or a lot of trouble with beveling and the works, it is a very complex process after all.

#4 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,706 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

From what I've heard MoI has the best Nurbs to Polygon export functionality of any Nurbs modeller.

So why not do the fillets in a 3D polygon modelling program e.g. modo That does pretty good bevels as opposed to C4D's rubbish bevel tool.

3DKiwi

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#5 Shazbot

Shazbot
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

From what I've heard MoI has the best Nurbs to Polygon export functionality of any Nurbs modeller.

So why not do the fillets in a 3D polygon modelling program e.g. modo That does pretty good bevels as opposed to C4D's rubbish bevel tool.

3DKiwi

I sold Modo, but use Solidchamfer 2.1, but frankly, i'm not a good modeler yet polywise, well good, but not great. I can make things in Moi in minutes that would take hours if not longer in c4d, everytime I make a complex Subdivision Surface model, things eventually go haywire and I rip my hair out trying to figure out where loops should go and how to make holes, etc.. 

Edited by Shazbot, 23 May 2013 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users