Photo

What hardware features make for faster Cinema 4D rendering?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 blastframe

blastframe
  • 37 posts
  • C4D Version:13 Studio

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hi,

I'm going to be making a short CG film and I'm looking to invest in a high-end workstation. I'll be totally honest - I know very little about how Cinema 4D performs, hardware-wise, and I'd greatly appreciate if someone could explain it simply to help me make my choice.

What factors most into the speed of C4D rendering the Viewport & in the Picture Viewer: the graphics card(s), the processor(s), or something else?

What is the difference between GPU & CPU rendering? Is one better than the other?

Can you recommend a great C4D workstation?

I've looked into the new Mac Pros and 3DBoxxes, but I want to hear opinions before diving in. Thank you very very very much! 

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

Cafe Founder

• Admin
  • 41,661 posts
  • C4D Version:16 Studio

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

C4D's rendering is done 100% by the CPU. The GPU plays no part. C4D doesn't do GPU rendering or not of a standard high enough to be anything other than suitable for previews.

You might be better buying a couple of cheaper computers and net rendering, better still Team Rendering with R15's new Team Render.

So for rendering it's all about the number of cores and the speed of those cores. The more the better hence the reason for suggesting having several computurs. You obviously need a reasonable amount of RAM in each one. I would suggest at least 8GB.

The GPU with C4D makes for quicker viewport performance while you're working on your project. You can as mentioned do a "Hardware" render that generates an image or movie using the GPU but it's light years away from the quality you get rendering an image with the CPU.

Anyone else? We've got a few hardware guru's that know a lot more about the hardware than me who may be able to offer some advice.

www.3dkiwi.co.nz - My personal site    My Cinema 4D Vimeo channel

#3 blastframe

blastframe
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

Thank you 3DKiwi! That's helpful. I'm definitely planning to use Team Render - my concern is in the lighting/texturing phases of things. If I need to tweak a complex scene with the IRR or Physical Renderer, I don't think my laptop cuts it as a workstation. Can anyone recommend a good workstation for this?

#4 BigAl3D

BigAl3D
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Well sadly, you're out of luck with the graphic card/driver options for the Mac. If you need to deal with very large, complex scenes that can bog down, then C4D on Windows with FirePro cards that can use the Crossfire deal. As for the CPU rendering, you'll get close to the same render speed with the previous 12-core Mac Pro and at a cheaper price than the new Darth Pro Macs. The new ones only have one CPU, a fast one, but only one. There is also a sweet spot with the number of cores vs. clock speed. Some apps don't utilize the cores like C4D does, so fewer cores and faster clock speed may be better overall if C4D is only a part of what you do.

#5 carnold

carnold
  • 64 posts
  • C4D Version:15 Studio

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Instead of investing $2K+ on new hardware which will only get your 30-50% speed increase in CPU rendering perhaps, and getting a better graphics card might 2x speed increase your productivity on larger scenes in the viewport.. my suggestion to you would be to buy new software that is optimized to better use the hardware you currently have to work with Cinema 4D as an extra tool. This is FAR cheaper then new hardware and will give you MUCH great % speed boosts. Two examples:

Octane Render for Cinema 4D: This utilizes your GPU for rendering (if you have CUDA) and you can expect to see significant speed improvements in rendering. The other plus in a much higher quality rendering (in materials and lighting) then what you can get out of C4D internal.

Clarisse iFX: For the small price of $999 you can get this great soft. It's highly optimized for CPU rendering and it's viewport is ray traced and doesn't use the OpenGL on the GPU like Cinema 4D. This means you can view your scene in the viewport in realtime with billions, even trillions of polygons without hiccups. Think about it :)

#6 srek

srek
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

If you need to deal with very large, complex scenes that can bog down, then C4D on Windows with FirePro cards that can use the Crossfire deal.

Please note that Crossfire only holds an advantage for certain games, neither CINEMA 4D nor any other DCC software can make any use of it.

#7 jed

jed
  • Supporter's Club Bronze
  • 175 posts
  • C4D Version:14 Studio

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

You might be better buying a couple of cheaper computers and net rendering

Got to agree with the Kiwi re: net render. The render pcs can be run 'headless' ie no monitor, keyboard etc and the onboard graphics is ok since it ain't used apart from during setup. Don't even need a dvd drive. I added 3x i7s to my setup and it didn't cost the earth.

#8 blastframe

blastframe
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am going to give this a try first (I don't have CUDA) and then see if I need to go with a computer that has a super GPU:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/cinema4d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users