Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. :cowboypistol:

Cinema 4D Plugins

Check out premium "TD Master Section" training classes in Clubs section  and STORE!

Arthos

Building with cubes/lego!

Arthos    4

I have a client that want me to build stuff in 3D using basically legos.

Here is an example: https://imgur.com/pAKzNC0

He will provide the cube, I just need to make the animals and what not. Pretty fun job.

Not sure how to get it to work easily in C4D since I need to do a lot of them. I don't want to deal with having to calculate the position for each one of them relative for their size. 

I did some test with Polygon and Mid point snapping on, and it kind of work as long as I keep changing the Axis Center of the cube I'm placing. But it's still require a bit too much tweaking for my liking, I'd rather find an even more interactive way if it's possible.

Cerbera    1,120

I'd get the original brick and scale it to round number units, then just use movement quantize (with helpful custom settings made in the modelling menu) to easily place things in snappable units. You could also ask @3DKiwi who is something of a lego modelling master...

CBR

• Like 2

Arthos    4
13 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I'd get the original brick and scale it to round number units, then just use movement quantize (with helpful custom settings made in the modelling menu) to easily place things in snappable units. You could also ask @3DKiwi who is something of a lego modelling master...

CBR

Ha yes, movement quantize will do the job perfectly. As always thank you so much @Cerbera

And congrats on 1k rep!

Cerbera    1,120
6 minutes ago, Arthos said:

Ha yes, movement quantize will do the job perfectly. As always thank you so much @Cerbera

And congrats on 1k rep!

You're welcome, and cheers :)

Arthos    4

Do you happen to know how to prevent Quantizing to stop un-toggling everytime you change tool? It's infuriating :D

Cerbera    1,120

Yes, don't turn it on or off, just hold shift whenever you need it !

CBR

• Like 1

Arthos    4
28 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes, don't turn it on or off, just hold shift whenever you need it !

CBR

This helped but it still go back to default movement value (10cm) whenever I change tool, and because I keep rotating and moving stuff around I have to re-enter my movement value each time I switch tool. Oh god...

Cerbera    1,120

Have you got the latest version of R18 ? (.57) It never goes back for me...

Arthos    4
6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Have you got the latest version of R18 ? (.57) It never goes back for me...

Yes I just updated and actually it only reset when I use the keyboard shortcuts for Move and Rotate Tool, not when selecting them with the mouse... Weird stuff, and a terrible design. Maybe there is something wrong with my shortcuts though but I mostly use the default ones...

Cerbera    1,120

Ok, odd. Please update your profile to the right version ! I use a space explorer to change modes, but I've just tested it using the keyboard shortcuts, and it's fine - my quantize values stay the same no matter what I do or what tool I change to !

What I have done, that you may not have, is set my ideal quantize values, then save a blank scene (with all my other tool defaults and settings made) to new.c4d  in the main MAXON R18 directory, so they remain the same ever afterwards every time you call a new file. Wonder if that makes any difference.

CBR

Arthos    4
4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, odd. Please update your profile to the right version ! I use a space explorer to change modes, but I've just tested it using the keyboard shortcuts, and it's fine - my quantize values stay the same no matter what I do or what tool I change to !

What I have done, that you may not have, is set my ideal quantize values, then save a blank scene (with all my other tool defaults and settings made) to new.c4d  in the main MAXON R18 directory, so they remain the same ever afterwards every time you call a new file. Wonder if that makes any difference.

CBR

That should do the trick, I'll try it. Will update my profil!

OH MY GOD, found out what the problem was. I'm using HB modeling bundle and he modified the move tool so you have to Shift Click to Enable Quantize Snapping or something like that, and the E shortcut defaulted to HIS tool rather than the usual move tool. Eureka!

3DKiwi    305

Apart from using Quantizing I suggest working in actual Lego sizes and using the Lego scaling system i.e. 1 brick length is 8mm and height is in multiples of 3.2mm. Then what I do is change the grid to 8mm spacing so that you can snap to the grid and then use quantizing set to 3.2mm for vertical positioning.

Hope this helps.

1280px-Lego_dimensions.svg.png

• Like 1