Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest wrightymon

Lego Block Model Render (LeoCad Model)

Guest wrightymon
  • Topic Author
  • Hi All,

Just wondering if I could call on somebody's expertise. I'm quite new to cinema4D and struggling to find away round this, I've created a model in LeoCad a lego building block software, and wanted to import to cinema but find the basic polyon meshes from the CAD software give really harsh straight edges, is there a way to add a small round to lugs/studs and smooth circles of the round pieces. I've tried adjusting the angle limit within the phong tag which helps a bit with the segmented shading but didn't help with the polygon rounds. I've tried adding hypernurbs which effects and distorts the whole piece, It rounds the studs but doesn't round the edges.  Is there a way to add to achieve this without going into each lug and piece adding slices and chamfering torestrict the hypernurbs. I was wondering if there would be anything in a material setting which may help with the realism. Ideally I like to get the model smoother along the lines of the DeLorean model. Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.36.10.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.35.57.png

Screen_Shot_2017-09-21_at_10_34_39.png

21103.png

The trouble is you are trying to do subdivision surface based operations on a mesh that has been built with total disregard for that workflow ! The only truly correct way to do this properly is to remodel it with all quads and proper control loops so that it works nicely with bevels and  / or subdivision. 

But it may be possible to rescue what you have, although it will still be some manual work. Start with a complete all-points optimize command to make sure there are no stray points or unconnected surfaces. then select all polys again, and make sure the normals are correct all over the model (use reverse / align normals if they are blue rather than orange facing the camera).

The screenies you have posted show sections which could be rescued by selecting all the polygons and running an untriangulate command, which will restore quads for most sections except where the topology is really screwy. Where that doesn't work you could manually dissolve surplus edges yourself. After going round doing that to all the bits, you will need to either add control loops manually with the loop cut tool, or add edge bevels to get your nice edge chamfers. I can't remember if you have the bevel deformer in R12 but if you don't, then manual bevelling would be the only option other than control loops and Hypernurbs (SDS).

The one thing you definitely shouldn't do is be adjusting phong angles to compensate, which is just not doing a proper job, and won't look great in the render. To answer your other point, there is nothing you can do in the material that is an adequate substitution for getting the poly work right.

CBR

Guest wrightymon
  • Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Hi Cerebra,  

Thanks for your help, no I don't think it does there only the option to hard surface bevel, been playing around with the un-triangulate & optimise and added a bevel to some of the pieces manually which has helped , which has helped but it hugely time consuming, using the break select phong help a bit for saving time. Its a shame as some other softwares like maya looks like you can adjust in the bump tag to help smooth the hard edges.

Thanks for your help

9 minutes ago, wrightymon said:

Its a shame as some other softwares like maya looks like you can adjust in the bump tag to help smooth the hard edges.

No, Maya's phong tag is no better than Cinema's.  And Cinema has improved its modelling tools hugely since R12. Seems unfair to blame the software when that's the case :)

Guest wrightymon
  • Topic Author
  • Hi, No I'm definitely not blaming the software, its incredible and if anything its my skill sets whats not upto par, but it just looked a nice feature in Maya on a tut that Ive seen, its the mia_roundcorners in the materials to get rounds the prob I'm having at the moment. That said it looks like more recent version of the software have work arounds too. Thanks again.  

You're welcome...

@wrightymon I'm not sure if this is still an issue, and how far you'd be willing to go to solve it, but in vray for C4d, you have the options of adding a rounding to edges on a texture by texture basis. For small radiusses (radii?), it works really well as a quick and dirty solution (particularly helpful when working with free models). The only downside is of course, that you'd have to stump up for a vray license (which IMO, is well worth it for lots of different reasons).

Cheers,

Nick