Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mistamista

"Locking" materials in Material Manager?

• Topic Author
  • Hi all! I've got a sizeable project and need to be able to click  the "delete duplicate" and "delete unused" WITHOUT deleting materials that are not presently used on and object in the visible scene. I had simply made a null and loaded the materials that I needed, but now I'm wondering if there is a more efficient means of getting itdone.

Thanks!!!

A more efficient way is to use layers. Right click on a material in the Material Manager and add it to a new or existing layer. Then in the Layer Manager you can lock this layer. When you run the remove unused materials command the unused materials in the locked layer are not removed. However duplicate ones are if you run the remove duplicate material command. Probably a bug as locking a layer should prevent deletions (I'm on R16, maybe it's been fixed?).

Hope this helps.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you SO much! It doesn't say much for my memory, but as soon as I read your reply I remembered the layers function. I'm getting old man!

3 hours ago, mistamista said:

Thank you SO much! It doesn't say much for my memory, but as soon as I read your reply I remembered the layers function. I'm getting old man!

Don't we all?

@3DKiwi Thanks for the reminder.