Sign in to follow this  
CGIHercules

Grid ON/OFF toggle shortcut ?

I made some key commands that combined with given C4D shortcuts make my workflow easy. Now one thing I often use is Filter-Grid (in a 3d viewport). I want to assign a shortcut to that but I cant seem to find way to do it. It doesnt show up in Shortcut Commands pallete. Do you guys think there is a way to make a shortcut for 3d viewport grid on/off toggle ?

Thank you

Yes there is; I made one, and have it assigned to the G key. As a bonus, mine also turns the horizon off. Unfortunately I am away from my C4D machine, so cant share the script for that til Monday.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • CEREBRA...hahaha oh man, that's EXACTLY what I was gonna assign G for :) I searched a lot (I wasn't lazy just coming straight here :) and couldn't find the way to do it. I am happy to hear it can be done. Please update me on the way it is done once you can. Big thanks.

I think I posted the script here when I first made it, but damned if I can find it now !

When you do assign G to that, remember you need to re-assign what G is mapped to by default (Frame forward) !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Oh I see....So basically I was kinda right. You can't change that by changing key command. You had to write an original script for that to be possible. I never loaded script in C4D.

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It's your lucky day - look what I found ;) It goes in your preferences folder/library/scripts. Reload Cinema and do shift+C to assign it. It's called Toggle grid.

CBR

Toggle Grid.CSC

Oh man thats just what I needed. You're awesome :) Thank you so much. Sooooo conveninet cuz i literally find myself toggling it ON and OFF all the time while I work and for such a super customizeable piece of software I am really surprised they didn't include option to add this one. Well...MAXON should definitelly pay attention to your script :)

Slightly off topic. Even with no scripting knowledge or limited knowledge you can create your own scripts for basic commands. Here's the process to create a script for toggling the grid on and off. (Should work in R20 but I haven't got it to test).

1. Fire up C4D and from the "Script" menu load the "Script Log"

2. From the Viewport "DisplaY" menu enable or disable the grid

3. Look at the Script Log. You should see an entry "c4d.CallCommand(70000, 917) # Display Filter" Copy this text

4. Close the Script Log and the Filter menu

5. From the Script menu load the "Script Manager"

6. Replace the Hello world line with c4d.CallCommand(70000, 917) # Display Filter

7. Save your script from the file menu of the Script Manager. By default it saves to the script folder

8. Click on "Shortcut" on the Script Manager

9. This brings up the "Customize Commands" Dialog. Scroll until to see your new script. If you named your script "Grid.py" then you could do a search for "Grid"

10. Assign a hotkey to script in the normal manner

Done. This works for a lot of things in C4D.

• Like 1