bobc4d

how can Blender be free?

bobc4d    90

I looked at Blender and everything it does got me to wondering, for all it does why are they giving it away?  they could easily ask $100 for it and it would still be a bargain.  it is a really deep program but not as intuitive nor has as easy an GUI as C4D.

Sreckom    11

Because of the license. Many part of Blender are GPL. Same as Linux. 

Ton's altruistic idea is to give Blender for free so there will always be a very capable 3D application for anybody to use as access into the field of 3D production.

It works because he's great at his job, the content they produce is worth buying and many users put their hand in their pocket and donate, it's really only free if you're a tight ass. If even more people donated think where Blender would be now?

Looking at their future developments they're really going places with their Eevee renderer, it already makes C4D's Hardware renderer look like a wireframe preview but in future versions they'll be having RT GI. It's astonishing what they're doing with the resources they've got.

regnas    25

Haha, Blender is amazing... They just screw it from the start when they choose to make the right click the default way to select things.

• Like 1

hvanderwegen    34

Originally Blender was a commercial application. The company, however, went belly-up, and Ton (one of the original developers of Blender) with the help of the community, "crowd funded" the purchase of Blender's source code and license. 

They then open-sourced it, started the Blender Foundation, and the rest is history. I support the Blender Foundation, and I subscribe to the Blender Cloud - which is actually quite amazing: for 10 euros a month you are given access to online project management that integrates seamlessly with Blender. Not to mention all the other goodies...

Version 2.8 is going to be very, very special. Check out the "future of Blender" page they just got up and running a few days ago:

https://www.blender.org/2-8/

Download the alpha/beta version, and open one of the demo files that showcases Eevee. They have transparency and refraction working now. And more Eevee features are being worked on - basically, they want Eevee to replace the old internal raytracing engine. So Cycles and Eevee - and the nodal material editor will support simultaneous output between the two to avoid having to rebuild the materials from scratch.

But honestly I am really excited about the workspaces. Users should be able to customize the entire GUI tools. Just display a focused set of tools related to the job at hand - something that is lacking in Blender right now. And the new version will support completely customizable viewport widgets - simplifying tool use a lot.

Left mouse button will finally be completely supported in the new version too. ;-P

• Like 4

Zmotive    57

Big fan of Blender and their pace of innovation / development. 2.79 is a worthy release (the numbers don't really mean anything relative to how other developers number "big updates") but 2.8 with the new viewport should be great. Hoping 2.9 (ish) will be a massive UI overhaul. The 2.8 workspaces will make it better in some respects but it's easily the biggest weakness of the application. Although if it's your first 3D program it's not nearly as much a weakness. Mostly it's a problem when people try to migrate from other apps using familiar shortcuts, visual conventions and the like. A big learning curve exists because most stuff isn't where you expect it to be.

But it's definitely fixable so a lot of reason to be hopeful there will be a great free (read: very inexpensive) alternative for 3D artists out there anytime they need one.

7 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

Originally Blender was a commercial application. The company, however, went belly-up, and Ton (one of the original developers of Blender) with the help of the community, "crowd funded" the purchase of Blender's source code and license. 

I didn't realise that, I only remember an article a mate showed me about this amazing new 3D application that was going take on the establishment  and be shareware. Ton had major plans back in those days and I must admit is sounded pretty far fetched that he could produce this wonder App and it be shareware in an era when 3D apps cost several months wages.

Shareware morphed into Open Source and the rest is history.

CApruzzese    59

I have been slowly learning blender and each new version  gets me closer to actually using it in a project. The big issue for me is the interface, which many others have mentioned. If I could figure it out as easy as C4D I would switch over right away.  That is a big "if" to accomplish however. C4d compared to many other 3d softwares really works for me and my non programmer/ artist way of thinking. If they do overhaul the interface to something I can deal with better I would be all in for at least doing my personal projects in it. For free this is amazing and seems to be better supported by it's users lately, giving them money to progress much faster than before. 

• Like 1

hvanderwegen    34

Funnily enough there's a German guy who decided to create his own "more user-friendly" version of Blender. It is completely compatible and includes the same features, but with a more traditional user interaction.

I am no fan of this version myself, but I have read others (coming from other software) were able to get up and running within minutes in BlenderForArtists: https://www.bforartists.de/

• Like 1

nerv    275

I remember trying blender when I first went into 3D, and being  mostly so frustrated by the learning curve and just dreadful UX.  Scared me off and into C4D's arms.  

But, undeniably, it's a beast of a DCC.  Really excited to see what they keep bringing to the table - especially if they eventually make it more usable. 

• Like 1

CApruzzese    59
6 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

Funnily enough there's a German guy who decided to create his own "more user-friendly" version of Blender. It is completely compatible and includes the same features, but with a more traditional user interaction.

I am no fan of this version myself, but I have read others (coming from other software) were able to get up and running within minutes in BlenderForArtists: https://www.bforartists.de/

I never heard of this! Thanks for the link! I downloaded it and on my mac Blender was immediately easier to use. The mac version isn't as up to date as the the latest bender regular version but will e soon and will include even the new viewport, which seems to be very similar to what is in c4d V19. 

• Like 1

Zmotive    57

Yeah that guys seems to be more up to date than last time I check when he was a few builds behind. 2.79 is current.