bobc4d

how can Blender be free?

I find nodes difficult to get my head around, I can get very basic things done in c4d expresso nodes but i see how nodes could be made to improve and customize so many things. I hope blender has a "simpleton" mode for dense people like me to be able to use it better!  LOL

I am learning it slowly but right now it's still confusing coming from c4d. 

New Eevee demos:

New Disney Zootopia hair shader implementation, which is also available in the latest 2.79 builds.

And the new version of Blender's 2d animation tools are about to be merged in time for the August V2.8 beta release.

For those who aren't aware of the new 2d animation Grease Pencil, the Blender Foundation produced a 2d short animation to develop the 2d animation tools to "production ready" level.

"HERO" showcases the 2d animation tool set and its capabilities quite nicely. There's is nothing equivalent on the market today: 2d and 3d animation tools are completely and seamlessly integrated.

More info about these 2d animation developments here:

https://code.blender.org/2018/07/grease-pencil-status-update/

https://code.blender.org/2017/12/drawing-2d-animation-in-blender-2-8/

TextureStrokes.jpg

• Like 1

Well what can I say, Blender is doing it, and doing it well, and the hair shader looks dam fine  I think its time to start learning Blender over next 2 years.

Dan

• Like 1

Blender's community and the developers seem to have a zest to it like never before. Hardly a day goes by without some interesting new plugin or news item - it's incredible to watch, and during this summer it was hard to keep track of all the new developments. And with the new GUI overhaul 2.8 is receiving I think traction will only grow and grow.

They have an official news channel "Blender Live Today" now with a likeable and enthusiastic guy, which I think is a great idea. They've been broadcasting the entire Summer.

• Like 1

From what I have heard Blender is free but you pay when you need to render, presumably using GPU or CPU… I have also heard quite few 3D artists leaving the likes of Maya and Max to adopt Blender. Being a freelancer I wuldn't like to do this since I get hired for my C4D skills, if I was my own studio that could change :-)

You don't have to pay to render using either CPU or GPU. They have a Blender cloud system that has a subscription. I think rendering is part of that, but it's not required at all.

18 hours ago, GaryAbrehart said:

From what I have heard Blender is free but you pay when you need to render, presumably using GPU or CPU…

Nope, rendering is absolutely free in Blender. As are various other render engines, such as AMD's ProRender, which is also completely free to download and install in Blender, unlike ProRender in Cinema4D.

Climbingair is correct in stating that the Blender Foundation offers a Cloud subscription which gives access to extras such as a library of HDRI images, textures, a wide range of tutorials, full simplified access to all the Blender Foundation's open movies and the production files, and much more. For example, you also get an add-on to integrate production management software ("Attract")  which allows you to manage your 3d productions with shot management for example, and with a team of people, if needed.

Your Blender settings can be synced across devices as well via the cloud subscription.

Perhaps what you were told is that Flamenco is part of that same subscription service? Flamenco is a render manager/computing infrastructure managing tool developed and used by the Blender Foundation for their latest open movies. But to be clear, you can set up as many render nodes as you like with Blender, of course. Flamenco is more of a dedicated server-based render manager for more complex projects.

Well I don't know much about Blender at all, the info I received was passed to me by someone who doesn't know Blender well (Lightwave user) from one of his freelancers so all a bit second-hand… It certainly does appeal to me considering all those high prices that we pay for licensed software though - might start learning a little :-)

4 hours ago, GaryAbrehart said:

Well I don't know much about Blender at all, the info I received was passed to me by someone who doesn't know Blender well (Lightwave user) from one of his freelancers so all a bit second-hand… It certainly does appeal to me considering all those high prices that we pay for licensed software though - might start learning a little :-)

My suggestion would be to wait for the upcoming 2.8 release with its GUI overhaul. V2.8 is going to be a game changer. Eevee by itself will change the way we approach rendering with (near) real-time rendering. The new viewport's performance is excellent, and on par with the best 3d apps out there with render quality options.

The beta is expected in week 2 of August next month. Learn more about the upcoming release here:

https://www.blender.org/2-8/

• Like 1

I had my fair share of Blender for years... it was a long love hate relationship

long story short; to model in Blender just sucks you can't beat Cinema 4D in that regard

VFX; Blender is amazing

but I mostly model and do stills with my post fx pipeline so I don't care about Blender anymore (got my physical copy of Cinema 4D Bodypaint 3D just now and I won't part with it for Blender or anything else)